Interesting article on GM's tax burden, or lack thereof

tbone

Bu bu bu bu bu Ford got government money too! </sarcasm>

When you look at all the details, you realize what a sweet deal GM received, and we are all paying for it. The bailout may very well have been a good thing at the time to prevent the collapse of the automotive supplier base, but allowing GM to carry on these past losses for tax purposes while putting every other automotive company at a disadvantage is just unacceptable.

• Like 1

We aren't paying for "Asian" companies, so whatever the respective governments do to prop them up is their business. I seriously doubt, however, that Toyota and Honda have been anywhere close to bankruptcy in the last 40 years. Nissan was almost bankrupt, but that was solved via the partnership with Renault.

Of course, the real problem with the GM bailout was that it essentially short-circuited the culture change that both GM and the UAW desperately need.

• Like 2

If you want to see how GM really performs as a profitable company, just turn to page 7 of its 2015 financial earnings report.

You will see a table there that shows the results in both NON-GAAP Ebit Adjusted $10.8 Billion pre-tax profit

that becomes $4.9 Billion under GAAP reporting system- same as Ford uses in their reports..

GM removes all the one time special items to show us what it could be, not what it is....

Edited by jpd80

Let's not forget that the only reason GM got all of those tax breaks was because

the government was protecting its investment and giving GM every chance to prevail.

We should be over this by now and focusing on GM's actual performance post bankruptcy.

Let's not forget that the only reason GM got all of those tax breaks was because

the government was protecting its investment and giving GM every chance to prevail.

We should be over this by now and focusing on GM's actual performance post bankruptcy.

The fact of the matter is that this affects GM performance past bankruptcy because they have more money to spend. They have an advantage over every other company.

And screwed the tax payers out of Billions, should have let G.M. fall.

The opinion at the time (including Ford) was to save GM and avoid a complete collapse of the Nth American auto industry.

A picture was painted by many that close on 3 million families would be put in jeopardy, the government couldn't let that happen

not after letting Lehman fail...

The greater good was served by letting a delinquent company skate free with Taxpayer money......

The part that bothers me is GM me is the fact that they haven't even thought about slowing down on frivolous pursuits such as auto racing.

I doubt anyone in the world had a bigger racing budget than General Motors. Is that ethical knowing how much they owe the American taxpayer?

I like Richard's analogy, I'm paraphrasing from memory,

GM is like a drunk that's been given a wash and a shave and a full wallet of cash to go spend.

Fixing cultural delinquent behaviour was left to GM to self manage, most of the people who got

GM into that mess didn't get fired.....

Edited by jpd80