New Fiesta This Fall?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-introduce-facelifted-fiesta-this-fall-91355.html

Italian media outlets are reporting that Ford will launch a revised Fiesta before the end of the year.

The updated model won't be entirely new because it will ride on the same platform as the model that's currently sitting in showrooms. However, both the hatchback and the sedan body styles will receive a sharper-looking front fascia that will borrow styling cues from the bigger Focus and the Fusion, and a redesigned rear end.

This sounds like an MCE rather than a redesign. However, didn't the Focus and Fusion borrow from the Fiesta for their current designs (front fascia)?

Did the EU Fiesta receive the same NA MCE we got, or are they just catching up?

The U.S. reveal of N.A. Fiesta MCA at the LA Auto Show November 2012 followed its global debut at the Paris Motor Show in September 2012; South American debut at the São Paulo International Auto Show, Brazil; and week before the LA Show , its China debut at Auto Guangzhou.

• Like 1

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-introduce-facelifted-fiesta-this-fall-91355.html

This sounds like an MCE rather than a redesign. However, didn't the Focus and Fusion borrow from the Fiesta for their current designs (front fascia)?

Probably just another facelift. We know the new Fiesta program was delayed a bit (18~24 months?) because different regions submitted very different proposals. South America and Europe want something similar to the current Fiesta which prioritizes the hatchback, while Asia Pacific and North America want a bigger car that prioritizes the sedan. Not really sure what is going on with the program given the different needs so another facelift will buy Ford some time in Europe where Fiesta is a critical model. Ford is also introducing the new Ka in Europe this fall to takeover the lower end of the price spectrum so I think Fiesta will receive a much needed new interior that will feature much higher grade of material.

Isn't this moving away from the 1-Ford that was key to Ford overcoming it's financial troubles. 1 car, 1 platform in every market - Fiesta, Focus/Kuga/Escape, Fusion / Mondeo..?

Not at all. One Ford means one of each product, not 2 or 3 different versions like the old Focus and Escape, Fusion, Ranger or E series. It never meant the every product was sold everywhere.

F150 will probably never be sold in Europe. The KA probably won't be sold in NA anytime soon. Some will be sold everywhere.

Not at all. One Ford means one of each product, not 2 or 3 different versions like the old Focus and Escape, Fusion, Ranger or E series.

Thanks for the reply akirby. That is exactly my point. NOT 2 or three versions of the same product i.e the new Fiesta - one for Europe and, as you have suggested, a modified C segment platform for US.

They did away with multiple platforms for models being sold in multiple markets - Fiesta, Focus, Escape, Mondeo / Fusion (they used Toyota as the example - Camry is basically the same all around the world, as is RAV4, Corolla etc.). Now they're talking about going back to multiple platforms for Fiesta? Doesn't make sense to me...

• Like 1

Considering the fiesta is Ford's 3rd best selling car behind the focus and F-series, it seems stage to keep it around for so long.

I am disappointed that ford believes that while the fiesta has one of the highest if not the highest ASPs in the segment, is no longer a good fit for North America.

What happens to the Fiesta ST?

Edited by Biker16

Thanks for the reply akirby. That is exactly my point. NOT 2 or three versions of the same product i.e the new Fiesta - one for Europe and, as you have suggested, a modified C segment platform for US.

They did away with multiple platforms for models being sold in multiple markets - Fiesta, Focus, Escape, Mondeo / Fusion (they used Toyota as the example - Camry is basically the same all around the world, as is RAV4, Corolla etc.). Now they're talking about going back to multiple platforms for Fiesta? Doesn't make sense to me...

I think all the different Fiestas will use the same Focus based platform. I think C3 will be very similar to VW's MQB, Toyota's TGNA, or Renualt/Nissan's CFM... meaning it is not a platform at all but just common hard points (suspension and engine mounting points, firewall and transmission placements etc) that will enable flexible manufacturing.

One-Ford dictates that Ford should not make multiple versions of cars in the same segment (e.g. C2 Focus vs. US Focus; Mk1 Fusion vs. Mk4 Mondeo). It doesn't preclude Ford from making different cars for different segments. In your Toyota example, you conveniently omitted all the other cars that Toyota still makes that doesn't fit into your model - for example, Toyota Avensis vs. Camry or the JDM Corolla vs. rest of the world Corolla.

B segment hatchback and "B+" sedan are not the same thing. Forcing US or China into a B segment sedan (like the current Fiesta) will not benefit Ford when competitors all field dedicated "B+" sedans: e.g. Honda City, Toyota Vios, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa, Fiat Linea, VW Santana and Jetta etc.

800px-2014_Honda_City_%28GM_MY14%29_VTi_

800px-Toyota_Vios_%28XP150%29_sedan_fron

800px-2014_Hyundai_Accent_%28RB2_MY14%29

800px-Nissan_Versa_1.6_Sense_2013_%28110

800px-Fiat_Linea2.jpg

800px-Volkswagen_Jetta_2013_%28Chinese_m

Edited by bzcat

Considering the fiesta is Ford's 3rd best selling car behind the focus and F-series, it seems stage to keep it around for so long.

I am disappointed that ford believes that while the fiesta has one of the highest if not the highest ASPs in the segment, is no longer a good fit for North America.

What happens to the Fiesta ST?

It's not an either or choice.

I think we will still get the new European Fiesta hatchback. But we'll also get a new sedan. There is room for both in the US line up.

The ones to beat in the B segment in the US are Kia and Nissan:

Kia Soul (hatchback only) 147k sales

Nissan Versa (mostly sedan) 145k sales

Compare to Fiesta (I'm guessing about 60/40 split) 63k sales

If you want to grow volume in this area, you probably want to separate the sedan from the hatch and aggressively go after the segment leaders. Note that this is in addition to what Ford should be doing in the B-CUV arena targeting Buick Encore, Honda HR-V, and Jeep Renegade.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

I think all the different Fiestas will use the same Focus based platform. I think C3 will be very similar to VW's MQB, Toyota's TGNA, or Renualt/Nissan's CFM... meaning it is not a platform at all but just common hard points (suspension and engine mounting points, firewall and transmission placements etc) that will enable flexible manufacturing..

Ha

as an owner I can honestly say from a design standpoint I think the Fiesta is one of the, if not the best styled ( pertains to Hatchback only, sedan is ODD ) vehicles in their lineup...it just works and looks more "one" than the focus equivalent. LOVE the way the car looks. From a sales standpoint however, sales personnel would rather NOT sell the vehicle as the time it takes to convince a prospective buyer that theres pretty much no wiggle room, isn't worth the time vested.......

Reading Autocar, I get the impression they are using a mule of the existing Fiesta

A revised front-end design on the prototype reveals new shapes for the grille and air intakes for the next-gen car. The rear of the prototype is also disguised, while the model appears to have a wider track than that of the current Fiesta, suggesting the seventh-generation car will be larger than today's hatchback. The current Fiesta is 3969mm long and 1709mm wide, with a height of 1468mm.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-ford-fiesta-launch-2017

Like there were plenty of Mustang mules with new fascias that didn't seem to quite fit. It's the best selling car in the UK and they design it there, it's their baby. I just hope they make a new automatic, a real one.

I tried out a Fiesta ST and absolutely loved it.

ford-fiesta-spy-2015-ac-004.jpg?itok=icO

The short C would be a new global entry, not NA specific. There is a lot of room between escape and ecosport.

Ford's adherence to One Ford while not cutting through all the organizational mess, I believe, is a core cause of the lack of direction in their small car strategy. You have 3, maybe 4, different markets when it comes to small cars - Europe (mid-scale, around 4m hatch); Emerging Market (low/mid-scale, <4m hatch for India); and NA/China (low/mid-scale, around 4.4m sedan/4.1m hatch).

Honda has bridged these with the Fit/Jazz and makes a modification for India and de-contents for 3rd world. But its quality reputation carries its ATPs and it lives with lower volumes in Europe.

Toyota uses the Toyota Vitz/Yaris to be sub-4m out of the box, ditto above.

Hyundai has a separate car (Accent) for the US and China/Asia while providing the i20 for Europe and India all on the same platform with many shared parts but different designs.

Ford is still trying to figure out what it wants to be. They like their sales volumes, but they want their ATPs. They don't have a strong enough reputation to get those higher ATPs in any country (quality, technology, German) other than with F-series. They're hoping to fill in gaps with vehicles like the Ka/Figo or Ecosport to save money when those vehicles are poorly suited for the target segments in Europe or the US.

Overall, I see a mess at Ford right now other than driverless. Their engine technology seems to be lagging the field. Their electrification strategy is lagging the field now. Very little leadership on strategy. A lot of bureaucracy. No forceful and urgent bets other than driverless, and they will likely end up behind in that because they are not Google, Amazon or Tesla. Their One Ford strategy sounds great, but they have too much red tape to actually scale effectively globally.

Mulally had the right idea and made some strides, but didn't do enough house-cleaning. Fields is executing it poorly and needs to clean out more mess. The best move made recently was splitting off driverless. That might save the company from itself in 5 years, but it's going to be a rough next 5 years for Ford, imo.

• Like 1

You also need to consider prioritization of resources. When you have a juggernaut like F series and Transit and heritage products like Mustang and a plethora of high ATP utilities that's where you have to focus your resources.

Small cars and micro utilities are important in ROW but the ATPs and profit margins are small by comparison. Ford needs to address those markets and the current products seem to come up short so that's a fair criticism, but it doesn't make sense for Ford to prioritize that over other more important projects like moving F series to Al and gutting and rebuilding the factories. Also consolidating platforms took a huge chunk of resources.

It's easy for Honda to prioritize something like Fit because they don't have a mustang or F series or Transit or Expedition/Navigator.

• Like 2

Examples needed.

Better yet, name a full line car company that offers GDIT engines in nearly every single product it sells?

Too many people mistake everything for the tech industry, where something "newer/better" comes out every 12-18 months and might be replaced in 24 months vs a durable product like an automobile that lasts 5-7 years, if not longer.

Then again with the tech industry...the jumps in performance aren't as big/noticable like they where in the late 1990s/early 2000s...and a 4 year old laptop can run Windows 10 just about as well as a brand new one, when it comes to every day things like office and other productivity software.

"easy for Honda to prioritize the Fit..."?

Honda is pushing SUV's and ignoring the Fit these days. They are building more HR-V's and Fit is cut inventory. Cheap gas is changing market.

And look at how large the new Civic is, far from the 'toss-able' subcompact of 30 years ago. They want the truck profits too, they are not "car saints".

But at same time, can't expect average Americans to switch in masses to "sporty handing cars" as enthusiasts demand all the time. What kind of hurt compact car image is all the kids 10 years ago with wacky modded Civics weaving through traffic and getting in wrecks. So, buyers will shun small cars for "high seating position" driving.

Edited by 630land