1999 expedition no crank no start

Erik Reece

I have a 1999 XLT with the triton v8. It was running fine other than a bad battery, I had to jump it to start it. It had been sitting for a while due to some bad coil packs and lack of time to work on it. I replaced the coil packs and spark plugs, jumped it and it started no problem, drove it around with no issues. Battery would not hold a charge though. I parked it again for about a week until I could get a battery for it. Put the new battery in and I get a no crank scenario. I put the key in and everything lights up as normal I turn the key and I her it hit the solenoid and it stops there. I read in another forum to check if the headlights go out when you turn the key or if they dim or go out. Mine do nothing when I turn the key, they stay on and bright. It said with this scenario the problem is before the solenoid.

Here is what I have done:
checked the voltage and confirmed the battery is good
checked to see if there is a voltage drop off from the battery terminals
replaced the battery terminals
checked the solenoid voltage
tried to jump it at the solenoid
checked the fuses
replaced the ignition starter switch
checked and cleaned connections.

I still am getting only a click at the solenoid. I am frustrated and stumped and wondering if anyone had any ideas or advice.

thank you

There are two solenoids one on firewall and one on the starter. If you jump the one firewall and nothing happens or no Sparks, then there is no load. IE starter open. Sometimes the eyelets on cable going to starter corrode and break off. I suspect a bad connection at the starter or a defective starter. It's a simple circuit

Edited by fordtech1