When did we confuse freedom of speech with the freedom to be rude?

• 2 weeks later...

It's because millennials haven't been raised by their parents correctly, we live in a different world than we did 30 years ago.

Please do not get me going on "millenials". Some do work just as hard and are trying to do the right thing. Like we done in the past when we were their age (18-34) But a good majority of them are overgrown babies and I'll leave it as that.

Well we can't expect our citizens to be considerate when leading presidential hopefuls are not. There is a reason many on all sides of the fence consider this primary season "a race to the bottom". When it comes to behavior of our elected officials, this country (as the article states) has struck a new low. I have been part-time living, working, and traveling overseas for the last 5 years now and the last ten months have been interesting. A lot of people I work with abroad are enjoying our primary circus; it's becoming quite the running joke and we get a lot of pity for it.

There has to be a middle ground between denouncing political correctness and acting like a five-year old.

My favorites from the article:

But now we have struck a new low. A gutter talk so bad that we don’t want children even to watch the news. Now it’s our national leadership who are leading the pack. These valiant types who purport to be the role models of the country. These high-level poobahs who speak from the Olympian heights of business, politics, and public service have long ago sliced and diced not only one another but the character of the country itself.

And I share from my own experiences out here:

They feel sorry for us. They wonder what is happening to those decent rank and file citizens, real Christians, genuine intellectuals, committed activists, genuine patriots who are embarrassed by their own political parties.

An article with a lot of good points, and a catholic quoting the Dalai Lama to get an important message across. I approve.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

One big problem is that most people don't understand what "freedom of speech" means. It means that the GOVERNMENT cannot put a prior restraint on your speech. That doesn't mean it can't punish that speech after you make it. It also doesn't protect speech in non-government controlled situations, and it doesn't protect the speaker from the consequences of his speech.

Too many people think they can say anything anywhere and not suffer any results.

• Like 1