Now is the time for an Excursion reboot!

Sorry, I didn't know about the Expedition EL. But I think Ford should stick it in the environmentalists' faces and use the Excursion name! But to use an old Ford slogan, I have a better idea: Make it a Lincoln! Ford Division doesn't need the sales figures that this vehicle will generate, but Lincoln does and it will complement the lineup.

Sorry, I didn't know about the Expedition EL. But I think Ford should stick it in the environmentalists' faces and use the Excursion name! But to use an old Ford slogan, I have a better idea: Make it a Lincoln! Ford Division doesn't need the sales figures that this vehicle will generate, but Lincoln does and it will complement the lineup.

Lincoln also has the Navigator L, which is the Expy EL's twin.

• Like 1

Hopefully, Ford decision makers see this thread and learn that they need to kick-off the next generation with a strong campaign that establishes the EL in people's minds as a superior choice to the Suburban. If the Excursion name was to be recycled, and I am not sure that it should be, I'd maybe go backward with it and use it for the short wheelbase model. An excursion is a shorter trip than an expedition in the world of adventuring. Having it not be the biggest vehicle would help with the stigma that it got the first time around. But then, you have the EL named something associated with a shorter SUV. I don't see a real clean way out of quagmire Ford created by ignoring the Suburban-class segment for decades and then coming in with a whimper in the realm of marketing. Maybe it is just sticking to current names and advertising better. Maybe it is renaming the Expedition EL to Touring Expedition.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner
  • Like 1

there's already a Navigator EL as well

I had 2 Excursions. A v10 with 4.30 gears that averaged between 10-12 mpg. Would pull a house but was thirsty.

My other was a 7.3 PSD 4X4 limited. It averaged 16 mpg in daily driving and an honest 20 mpg on a trip. Exact mpg as our 2015 Expedition-

I would like to see an Expedition EL body stacked on a SD platform with the 6.7. Imagine the benefit of diesel mpg, towing potential, and the lighter weight aluminum body.

Yeah- I'm dreaming, but it would be a beastly vehicle for sure with unlimited capability.

• Like 3

Ford already has an F150-based SUV.

If you are referring to the current Expedition, it is quite a bit different than the current or previous gen F160.

Rumor mill has been that the next gen Expedition ('17 or '18), besides being all aluminum body, will be heavily based on the current F150. It will be interesting to see if the Expedition/Navigator gives up IRS and coil spring rear suspension.

If you are referring to the current Expedition, it is quite a bit different than the current or previous gen F160.

Rumor mill has been that the next gen Expedition ('17 or '18), besides being all aluminum body, will be heavily based on the current F150. It will be interesting to see if the Expedition/Navigator gives up IRS and coil spring rear suspension.

Well, the current one is at least loosely based on the F150, but yes, the next one will likely be more tight with the F150.

We've seen spy shots with the IRS in the new Expy, so I expect it to stick around.

Can anybody comment on the ride of the Expedition and EL? I know a few people that bought Suburbans because the ride in the Expeditions they test drove were described as being a bit rougher than the Suburban. If it is a problem, hopefully they can address it with the redesign.

It would be nice to be able to fit the Expedition body on a Super Duty frame but I doubt it will happen. I still remember the lambasting Ford got when the Excursion came out the first time.

Can anybody comment on the ride of the Expedition and EL? I know a few people that bought Suburbans because the ride in the Expeditions they test drove were described as being a bit rougher than the Suburban. If it is a problem, hopefully they can address it with the redesign.

It would be nice to be able to fit the Expedition body on a Super Duty frame but I doubt it will happen. I still remember the lambasting Ford got when the Excursion came out the first time.

We've owned an EL for nearly 9 years now and I can say from experience that it handles & rides pretty well. I've never driven a Suburban, so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's better or not.

I think the supposed ride superiority of the Suburban is a hugely repeated myth. I was helping a friend look for a Suburban or Expedition recently. Every sleazy used car lot salesman we encountered Trumped this out. I hear the most automotively illiterate Burb owners doing the same. These guys couldn't define rebound, dampening, oversteer, understeer, or good beer verse Budweiser, but they just know the Burb rides better. I own an EL and drive or ride in Surburbans a couple of times a month. They are a bit different but both are comfortable rides. IRS will always feel a little different than buggy springs. My EL makes a little noise in the front suspension when backing off the partially shaved-down curve in my driveway. That is the only knock I have on it's suspension.

• Like 1

I think the supposed ride superiority of the Suburban is a hugely repeated myth. I was helping a friend look for a Suburban or Expedition recently. Every sleazy used car lot salesman we encountered Trumped this out. I hear the most automotively illiterate Burb owners doing the same. These guys couldn't define rebound, dampening, oversteer, understeer, or good beer verse Budweiser, but they just know the Burb rides better. I own an EL and drive or ride in Surburbans a couple of times a month. They are a bit different but both are comfortable rides. IRS will always feel a little different than buggy springs. My EL makes a little noise in the front suspension when backing off the partially shaved-down curve in my driveway. That is the only knock I have on it's suspension.

I'm not sure they would have had any outside input on their criticism of the Expedition. One was at a Ford dealership shopping for an Expedition when they saw a slightly used Suburban. So they drove them back to back. The only comment I could give her was that the rear suspensions are very different and that the Ex would probably outperform the Suburban in four wheel drive since the Chevy still uses a lamp post as a rear axle.

Anyway, its done, they both bought Chevys, I thought I would see if others had any personal experience with both of them.

Thanks

I'm not sure they would have had any outside input on their criticism of the Expedition. One was at a Ford dealership shopping for an Expedition when they saw a slightly used Suburban. So they drove them back to back. The only comment I could give her was that the rear suspensions are very different and that the Ex would probably outperform the Suburban in four wheel drive since the Chevy still uses a lamp post as a rear axle.

Anyway, its done, they both bought Chevys, I thought I would see if others had any personal experience with both of them.

Thanks

-

I just drove both today with my post from this morning fresh in my kind. Being extra aware, I did notice that my Expedition's front suspension makes thumping noises on bumps that are a little more audible than in the Suburban. This is comparing a 40,000 mile Limited in private ownership against a federal fleet, base Suburban with 45,000 miles on the odometer. This should probably be addressed in a redesign as noise gives people feedback that is subconsciously assigned to quality. The Burb compresses and rebounds multiple times from similar bumps that the Expedition tends to handle in one cycle. This particular Burb also carries more sidewall in the tires so that could be a factor in the comparison. I personally prefer the Expy type of ride tuning, but others might like the ever oscillating, but slightly softer ride that is reminiscent of the later Packard sedans. I find your Ford dealer/used Suburban scenario the most interesting and possibly legit experience I've ever heard on this. However, I still see this issue as a "suburban legend", as I know guys who defend the comfort of their roached out Wranglers, Tacoma's, Dodge 3/4 tons (with lift kit and aggressively lugged tires), and Outbacks on the highway but knock the ride of Expys for not being as smooth as Burbs. Either big SUV is an extremely luxurious ride compared to those.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner
  • Like 1

I still think the large SUV buyers are just as brand tribal as their large truck compatriots or at the very least some predisposition one way or another. It takes a stand out product to convince those people to switch from "gut feelings".

The current Expedition & Navigator are still nice vehicles by really showing their age, I think the tolerance for that shows just how strong the market really is. In another reality the big SUVs may have preceded Super Duty in switching to alloy body but not that much longer now.......

Edited by jpd80

I still think the large SUV buyers are just as brand tribal as their large truck compatriots or at the very least some predisposition one way or another. It takes a stand out product to convince those people to switch from "gut feelings".

Especially with today's obesity rates. :)