Driverless Technology

ME was absolutely horrible! Worse than WIn 98 SE and 95. Vista was a big memory hog, but not bad otherwise. XP wasn't too bad, Win 7 was the first really good desktop OS (IMO) from MS. It's pretty stable, and that's what I run on my dev machine at one of my clients. Personally, Win 10 is my favorite by far, and that's what I run on my personal machine.

I worked for Gateway during the 95/98/ME years. And you cannot say enough bad things about those OSes. Or rather, those DOS shells. Plug-n-play didn't work. The network stacks didn't work. USB didn't work. The only thing that worked were ISA cards and parallel printers, and PCI cards if you were very very lucky.

I worked for Gateway during the 95/98/ME years. And you cannot say enough bad things about those OSes. Or rather, those DOS shells. Plug-n-play didn't work. The network stacks didn't work. USB didn't work. The only thing that worked were ISA cards and parallel printers, and PCI cards if you were very very lucky.

I remember using '98 as a development PC for a few months at a client. After enough complaining about multiple reboots PER DAY, I finally got a Windows 2000 machine.

Life is too short for any version of Windows. At best, you have three years before your once fast and new machine runs like it has pen full of overfinished durocs on its back. I've ran all sorts of virus protection software and utilities to remove bloatware and shutdown unwanted processes. It just seems lke the only solution is to periodically re-image. I'm officially done with any of the devices runnng any version.

Life is too short for any version of Windows. At best, you have three years before your once fast and new machine runs like it has pen full of overfinished durocs on its back. I've ran all sorts of virus protection software and utilities to remove bloatware and shutdown unwanted processes. It just seems lke the only solution is to periodically re-image. I'm officially done with any of the devices runnng any version.

I've run into my fair share of little annoyances with Windows over my life, including on my Dell desktop that I got in '01 for college and gave away in 2012. Most problems I had were of my own doing (tinkering).

Since then, I've bought computers from Toshiba, Lenovo, and HP. Anything resembling "bloatware" that was preinstalled was promptly uninstalled and never popped back up to bother me.

Most people I know that complain of bloatware on Windows -- and this is anecdotal evidence, yet a ton of it -- got it from installing programs from the Internet AND installing the tag-along programs that they offer as well. Usually by clicking "express" instead of "custom" installation.

• Like 1

I'd think you could upgrade to Pro edition to get a little more stability and control. But, whatever works. Maybe on your next machine.

My next machine I home build will likely just be a straight license transfer. I refuse to get Win10

Next one I buy will be a Mac. ProTools works best on Mac OS anyway so that will likely be a studio-only rig.

For all the bitching I see here for Windows...where I work at, we still have hardware running Windows XP on machines that are nearly 15 years + years old with no issues! Then again they are test equipment that was using borderline obsolete tech when they where new, but they still work.

The really funny (and disturbing thing at the same time) is we have computers from when I worked for this one guy (first IT job I had) still operational that are almost 20 years old! The other funny thing is the contracted IT support we have (I have more of IT management/ISSM/security role here) is a guy that I worked with at my first job...he winded up taking over the guys contacts when he moved out of state.

For all the bitching I see here for Windows...where I work at, we still have hardware running Windows XP on machines that are nearly 15 years + years old with no issues! Then again they are test equipment that was using borderline obsolete tech when they where new, but they still work.

The really funny (and disturbing thing at the same time) is we have computers from when I worked for this one guy (first IT job I had) still operational that are almost 20 years old! The other funny thing is the contracted IT support we have (I have more of IT management/ISSM/security role here) is a guy that I worked with at my first job...he winded up taking over the guys contacts when he moved out of state.

That's because Windoes XP was really good. There's a reason that so many people are still using it after MS stopped mainstream support for it.

Because I don't like the fact that Microsoft still won't tell me what kind of information they are taking from people's computers. I feel that's a slippery slope that has no good ending.

Do you know how much data google collects from visting BON?

Or from your smartphone?

the slope Started Slipping a decade Ago, its just now with Windows 10 that you can see on the desktop what has been going on in you pocket for the 10 years.

Do you know how much data google collects from visting BON?

Or from your smartphone?

the slope Started Slipping a decade Ago, its just now with Windows 10 that you can see on the desktop what has been going on in you pocket for the 10 years.

Yep, that's why I would love to buy a place up north and just go off the grid entirely.

Not to interrupt, but I would briefly like to go :backtotopic: :

Google self-driving Lexus crashes into a bus - Autoblog

The crash happened when the robotic SUV had to go into the center lane to make a right turn around some sand bags – both the vehicle and its test driver incorrectly assumed that a bus approaching from behind would slow or stop to let the car through. The Lexus smacked into the side of the bus at low speed, damaging its front fender, wheel and sensor in the process.

how many mile has it been since the last crash?

do you know?

Not sure why that matters.

This is the first report of a Google autonomous car causing a crash, so it's no longer accurate (of them) to say that their cars can't cause crashes.

This particular scenario wasn't even one that was bandied about in this thread, but it's out there now. Apparently the Google software doesn't quite drive defensively all the time.

Not sure why that matters.

This is the first report of a Google autonomous car causing a crash, so it's no longer accurate (of them) to say that their cars can't cause crashes.

This particular scenario wasn't even one that was bandied about in this thread, but it's out there now. Apparently the Google software doesn't quite drive defensively all the time.

over 1 million miles and finally one report at fault crash.

It's also worth noting that there was a driver in the car that also thought the bus was going to let the car in, so the driver may have very well crashed anyway.

So neither the driver nor the car knew how to drive defensively, then. :stirpot:

over 1 million miles and finally one report at fault crash.

... that they admit, and Google doesn't even admit complete fault. Their official statement repeats that they bear "some" fault. Nice hedge there, huh?

• Like 1