Ford Plans for 4 New SUV Nameplates in next 4 years (today @ Chicago Show)

The world is a different place today and I think Ford is duty bound to cast a wide net with Utilities and see

what comes back. There are all kinds of Utilities, be they Soft Road SUV, Off Road SUV, More Urban oriented

CUVs to jacked up Hatch backs, Station wagons and Coupe like bodies.

I think the market is huge and the potential for variance massive provided the proper product envelope is chosen

at kick off, having all stake holders in at the start and on board with their buyer preferences and potential alternatives

to regular sedans is the key here, understanding how buyer tastes are evolving and moving in that direction but also

setting the pace by offering vehicles in segments that appeal more to transitioning car buyers......

Some of the BMW X range is interesting as well as Subaru Crossovers and possibly on top of that,

Mazda's CX-3 points the way in Subcompact utility. All interesting products to consider as inspiration.

Edited by jpd80

When [and it will] gas goes back up, most likely there will be more electrified or 2WD utes sold.

But to me, the B class Utes are about the same height as a C class hatchback. The Honda HR-V is like an old Civic wagon, not as high sitting as a Pilot/CR-V. Just my observation at Auto Show.

When [and it will] gas goes back up, most likely there will be more electrified or 2WD utes sold.

But to me, the B class Utes are about the same height as a C class hatchback. The Honda HR-V is like an old Civic wagon, not as high sitting as a Pilot/CR-V. Just my observation at Auto Show.

That's definitely the case in buyer preference and it is reflective in the MSRP that manufacturers can charge.

B-segment CUV is replacing C-segment car sales

C-segment CUV is replacing D-segment/midsize car sales

D-segment CUV is replacing fullsize car sales

While that might be true of the example you provided, I can assure you that a CX-3, Trax and Ecosport

are all higher than the respective Mazda 3, Cruze and Focus.

I notice getting in and out of those vehicles that the driver seat position is significantly higher,

not like a traditional off road SUV but higher than a car. I think it's the higher seating position

that clinches the deal with the subcompact Utes.

So funny, the Indian Reviewer cannot get Sync to understand what he's saying...

Edited by jpd80

So basically the same issues that Americans have as well? I haven't used voice commands with SYNC in quite a while. It is a rare day when it understands something the first time. I just go straight to SIRI as of late.

So basically the same issues that Americans have as well? I haven't used voice commands with SYNC in quite a while. It is a rare day when it understands something the first time. I just go straight to SIRI as of late.

"I'm sorry Barrwee, I don't understand, wecommend a westerwant...".......LINK

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

While that might be true of the example you provided, I can assure you that a CX-3, Trax and Ecosport

are all higher than the respective Mazda 3, Cruze and Focus.

I notice getting in and out of those vehicles that the driver seat position is significantly higher,

not like a traditional off road SUV but higher than a car. I think it's the higher seating position

that clinches the deal with the subcompact Utes.

I thought it was funny that he said the Fiesta was a midsize car. But again, if you live in a country where the average car is a blue smoke blowing diesel tricycle...

• Like 1

Putting two doors only on an SUV in this day and age is a kiss of death. Maybe if they wanted to do a two door version in addition to the four door, but that would be the slower seller of the two.

Nobody is complaining that the Wrangler was ruined with 4 doors. In fact it launched sales into the stratosphere.

The Bronco should have four doors and will fly off the lots faster than if it had four wings.

Putting two doors only on an SUV in this day and age is a kiss of death. Maybe if they wanted to do a two door version in addition to the four door, but that would be the slower seller of the two.

Nobody is complaining that the Wrangler was ruined with 4 doors. In fact it launched sales into the stratosphere.

The Bronco should have four doors and will fly off the lots faster than if it had four wings.

^ this.

I'm a member on a fullsize Bronco forum.... and probably about half the members think the new Bronco is going to be a shitty Bronco 2 remake, or a 2 door Escape.

Name alone won't be able to sell this truck, at least for long; it have to back up that name with performance.

I don't fear it becoming a 4 door, my fear is it will be some POS based on a Transit Connect or some other FWD unibody.

See what I have in my barn? :)

post-609-0-77923800-1455981145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Internet car pundits are funny. The people who want the bronco to be a rebirth of the OJ Bronco (but wouldn't buy one) are the same people who wanted the Monaro to come over (but wouldn't buy a GTO), wanted the Comodore (but wouldn't buy a G8, or SS), and cried foul at the four door Charger and Wrangler but fell silent when they were a sales success.

• Like 3

Too funny, sullynd! Since a fullsize 2dr Bronco would mostly be a parts bin exercise, Ford could easily build one if they thought that they could make money on it(as would GM). Most reports have indicated that the new Bronco will be a Wrangler competitor; to me that means that it will be a compact BOF SUV(Ranger-based) probably with some 1966-77 Bronco styling cues. 2 doors are mostly DOA, so it will likely be a four door with a choice of soft or hard tops(removable or not).

Internet car pundits are funny. The people who want the bronco to be a rebirth of the OJ Bronco (but wouldn't buy one) are the same people who wanted the Monaro to come over (but wouldn't buy a GTO), wanted the Comodore (but wouldn't buy a G8, or SS), and cried foul at the four door Charger and Wrangler but fell silent when they were a sales success.

Well you're not wrong, the same people also say no matter what they couldn't/wouldn't afford it anyway.

IMO, Ford can afford two "Jeep Competitors", one Expedition based and one T6 based.

There's enough market space with Utilities to cast a broad net with soft road and off road

now that cars are becoming a lesser concern. Focus on maximizing sales with lots of Utes.:)

• Like 1