28 January 1999: Ford Buys Volvo

Volvo was also lead design on EUCD which gave us Mondeo S-Max, Galaxy which in turn became CD4 and then

generationed the Europeans over as well as Fusion, Edgem MKZ, MKX, Chinese Taurus and now Continental.

Volvo was also responsible for introducing Ford to CAN BUS - central networking of onboard control modules.

Many people in Ford were sad to see Volvo go because it by far was better integrated with Ford and willing

to share its knowledge. Had Nasser only bought Volvo and avoided J/LR, the money saved could have been

used to properly fund Volvo and let it flourish as the premium brand it desreved to be.

Edited by jpd80

Many people in Ford were sad to see Volvo go because it by far was better integrated with Ford and willing

to share its knowledge. Had Nasser only bought Volvo and avoided J/LR, the money saved could have been

used to properly fund Volvo and let it flourish as the premium brand it desreved to be.

The Ford engineers I knew were all surprised at the sale of Volvo because of how well Volvo engineering had been integrated into Ford engineering.

BTW, Nasser only gets credit for the LR part of JLR; the Jaguar acquisition happened under Donald Petersen's watch (along with the Aston acquisition and the original Taurus).

• Like 1

My 07 C70 has tons of parts on it with the FoMoCo label on it. Everything from the starter to the rollover protection devices. So definitely a lot of Volvo and Ford integration.

I saw a episope of how its made and they showed the Aston Martin being built and the roll over protection had Ford motor company label on it.

Wish Ford held on to them too. I've been rooting for them for the past few years.
Volvo's had an amazing 2015, especially thanks to the new, and much needed, XC90, plus XC60 and S60 sales.
Also...

170158_Twin_Engine_T8_Volvo_S90_Inscript

interior-comp-merc-jag-volvo-s90-1aa.jpg
Volvo-S90-2016-Paris-10-1000x688.jpg
Can't wait to see what they do with the new S60.
  • Like 2

Wish Ford held on to them too. I've been rooting for them for the past few years.

Volvo's had an amazing 2015, especially thanks to the new, and much needed, XC90, plus XC60 and S60 sales.
Also...

Yup, Volvo is on a roll. Literally. ;)

Much credit is due to Mr. Mulally and other Ford executives in the mid 2000s for acknowledging that managing premium brands like Volvo and Jaguar Land Rover wasn't a strength for Ford Motor Company. Both Volvo and JLR have thrived since their separation from Ford.

Those companies have only thrived because we are in an up market and their new owners agreed to fully fund new product cycles.

The choice was clear to Ford, keeping J/LR and Volvo would require funding around $20 billion in product cycles

or sell them and avoid that debt burden while rebuilding Ford brand, a priority above all else.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1