Production 2017 Lincoln Continental Revealed

I saw it in person at the New England auto show last weekend. It is stunning, and looks a lot less like a Bentley than the concept, so much so that if you removed the badges, many would guess it was a Lincoln. This looks more like the direction they should have gone.

They has the MKS hidden behind the Continental's display wall in shame with the MKT.

• Like 1

I saw it in person at the New England auto show last weekend. It is stunning, and looks a lot less like a Bentley than the concept, so much so that if you removed the badges, many would guess it was a Lincoln. This looks more like the direction they should have gone.

They has the MKS hidden behind the Continental's display wall in shame with the MKT.

If you saw it in New England last week you saw the concept.

"Last Weekend" = 1/9-1/10

"Saturday" = 1/16

"Sunday" = 1/17

"Over the weekend" = 1/16+1/17

This is how just about everybody I know refers to these events.

And frankly it seems a bit redundant to use "last" to refer to the proximal preceding day/date/month/season when verb tense clearly indicates whether its the proximal preceding or proximal upcoming occasion.

"I went to the auto show Saturday" to me, clearly implies the 16th. There's no chance you'd confuse it with the 23rd on the 18th, and therefore "I went to the auto show last Saturday" leaves you with an awkward means of referring to the 9th. Are you going to say, "I went to the auto show two weeks ago" when it was only 9 days? "A couple Saturdays back"?

I'm aware that using "last" to refer to proximal preceding events is embedded in such things as the AP style guide, but it's never made sense to me. If I say "I went in December" to which December am I obviously referring? Is there any ambiguity that needs clarification there?

Edited by RichardJensen

Last night also refers to Sunday night not Saturday night.

That's because night requires modification to be a syntactically valid reference to a specific time frame in English.

Unlike, for instance, Saturday.

"I went there Saturday" is clearly intelligible.

"I went there night" is not. Not in reference to last night, tonight, tomorrow night, etc. Even usages like "I went there at night," which don't match the syntactic pattern of the other forms, modifies 'night' by making it the object of a prepositional phrase.

---

I've got a notion to do some research on this, as I expect I will find that this usage of 'last' to refer to the immediate past is a prescribed usage proffered by some self-appointed guardian of the language (cf. "don't end a sentence with a preposition", "no double negatives", etc.)

Edited by RichardJensen

I wonder if the new door pull handles will become a new Lincoln styling cue for upcoming products. Doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, but would require new door skins, but we are trying to make Lincoln different right?

That's an interesting question. I definitely could see it coming to the next-gen MKZ, given how nicely it cleans up the body/door panels, plus it'd become a styling trait for Lincoln. The crossovers/suvs.....I'm mixed on that. I wonder if having the handles way up on the beltline would be too high on them to be ergonomically comfortable? It works on the sedans because they sit lower, and it's at a more comfortable arm angle. Crossovers/SUVs obviously sit higher than sedans, so I'm not entirely sure that styling trait would make the transition to redesigns of them. Certainly will be interesting to see.

?

So Ford reveals the production Continental to the press on Tuesday the 12th, but it was already on display at the New England auto show on the 9th and 10th 14th through the 18th?

I guess.

Gotta put it out there for people to see.

I hope it's at the Fort Lauderdale show in March (it's a small show, so it doesn't always get a lot of new stuff until the next year, but Conti may hopefully be an exception).

No it was absolutely not the concept. It was the real deal. Even the lincoln reps said this and it was a brown color. I'll upload a pic soon. You can tell it is the newer one.

Yeah, we covered that for you and got an english lesson in the process.

Didn't notice. My apple computer runs crappy after the apple store "upgraded" it and accidentally deleted the boot up program causing them to re install the operating system. Now when I type something, i watch that little pinwheel thing or whatever the F that thing is supposed to be spin and wait for 1-3 min. to see what I typed appear later.

I used to be an Apple fan, now I totally despise them! For every second of usefulness, it spend ten seconds "pinwheeling".

Didn't notice. My apple computer runs crappy after the apple store "upgraded" it and accidentally deleted the boot up program causing them to re install the operating system. Now when I type something, i watch that little pinwheel thing or whatever the F that thing is supposed to be spin and wait for 1-3 min. to see what I typed appear later.

I used to be an Apple fan, now I totally despise them! For every second of usefulness, it spend ten seconds "pinwheeling".

Same thing happened to my iPad 2 and my MacBook Pro...last major OS upgrade borked them.

Ah the joys of forced obsolescence

Hmm. I wonder what happens when someone leaves a company that pretty much existed just to make things that he wanted.............

They go off track and nearly broke and then ask him to come back?

Oh, are we talking about Apple or Ford......

9781451648546.jpgprofile_alan_mulally.jpg

Edited by jpd80