Ford Motor Company December 2015 Sales, Year End Totals

ANTAUS

Like RMC, glad to see Lincoln over 100k for the year.

It's also a nice 7% increase in total sales compared to 2014 with much higher ATPs on new MKX.

So much for Lincoln standing still, it just goes to show with the right advertising Lincolns dealers can turn good sales too.

Gosh, if / when they put that new face on all the cars, Lincoln's sales are really going to start humming...

Edited by jpd80

"... As for the Chevy "Holden", hear nothing but negative comments..."

But, these Australian "pure RWD driver's" cars were suppsed to "save" GM?

Wondered why they were a rare sight, and cost to ship them over 5000 miles must be too high for Police Agencies to afford. Ford did right not "bringing in" AUS Falcons.

Transit Connect breaks 50k unit ceiling. The business case for building the next generation in NAFTA zone is getting stronger and stronger...

Taurus & PIS is also selling at 50k unit but heading in the opposite direction. I guess Ford is betting that Taurus buyers have purchased their last big car (meaning if they buy another vehicle, it will be a SUV or smaller car). On the other hand, if Continental is as great as the hype, it could easily to 50k sales replacing both MKS and Taurus.

Edited by bzcat

Transit Connect breaks 50k unit ceiling. The business case for building the next generation in NAFTA zone is getting stronger and stronger...

Taurus & PIS is also selling at 50k unit but heading in the opposite direction. I guess Ford is betting that Taurus buyers have purchased their last big car (meaning if they buy another vehicle, it will be a SUV or smaller car). On the other hand, if Continental is as great as the hype, it could easily to 50k sales replacing both MKS and Taurus.

keeping in mind that the current Taurus has an interior no larger than Fusion and that space is everything in Whig car. At least offer a good one based on you're volume selling car platform. Do that and there is enough wiggle room for a Taurus, heck the thing is already designed.

"... As for the Chevy "Holden", hear nothing but negative comments..."

But, these Australian "pure RWD driver's" cars were suppsed to "save" GM?

Wondered why they were a rare sight, and cost to ship them over 5000 miles must be too high for Police Agencies to afford. Ford did right not "bringing in" AUS Falcons.

Dearborn never opposed FOA sending products to Nth America, it was FOA who could never justify the business cases even after four separate reviews it still didn't work.

It had FoA really stumped to know how GM made the books balance with those Commodore exports..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Try conference call replays, I know we spoke about this last month

Though its full-year performance didn’t earn the company any more market share, Ford did raise its average transaction price by more than $2,000 from 2014, to $35,700 last month. The average price paid for an F series jumped $2,500, to $43,000.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160105/RETAIL01/301059952/1221

Edited by jpd80

Thx for link

I tried to find the real sales reports, but Ford redid their site a few years ago, and their current site only has reports going back to 2012 (at least that was all I could find), so mostly what I found was broken links to where the old Ford sales reports used to be. The Wikipedia numbers looked close enough to what little of the old reports I was finding elsewhere, so I'm guessing they're probably legit enough.

I wish Ford just kept the 2008 era Taurus going, but they just had to make it 'prettier', [and bulkier] even though imports look anonymous.

It was fine, but comments from mouthy critics about it being 'too plain' made them spend money to please critics, but not loyal large car buyers, and fleets.

Also, don't expect return of a RWD/AWD Explorer, the upcoming Bronco will take that spot.

So I heard.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Overall market gained 5.7% from 2014. Ford finished with a 5.3% gain, so a slight market share reduction. Same 5.3% for Toyota and 5.0% for GM, so the top 3 leaders slide slightly overall. Biggest gainers were FCA, Nissan, Subaru and Hyundai-Kia. Doesn't exactly warm my heart or F stock value, but it is pretty cool to see the Ford brand distance itself slightly from Chevy and Toyota though.

Lexus however continues to be a juggernaut, which says allot about its reputation as its "styling" is rather insipid; Darth Vader face. The compact Linclon MKC is sublime while the Lexus NX is so ill proportioned and slightly inferior of a drive by most accounts yet is killing the MKC in sales.

Rant over - Happy New Year All!

Edited by Project-Fairmont

Overall market gained 5.7% from 2014. Ford finished with a 5.3% gain, so a slight market share reduction. Same 5.3% for Toyota and 5.0% for GM, so the top 3 leaders slide slightly overall. Biggest gainers were FCA, Nissan, Subaru and Hyundai-Kia. Doesn't exactly warm my heart or F stock value, but it is pretty cool to see the Ford brand distance itself slightly from Chevy and Toyota though.

Lexus however continues to be a juggernaut, which says allot about its reputation as its "styling" is rather insipid; Darth Vader face. The compact Linclon MKC is sublime while the Lexus NX is so ill proportioned and slightly inferior of a drive by most accounts yet is killing the MKC in sales.

I still don't understand why people are so focused on market share. Lest we forget GM, Ford and Chrysler were #1, 3 and 4 respectively in market share in 2008. 2 went bankrupt and Ford was really really close. Market share means very little unless you factor in profit margin.

It's entirely possible to increase profits and lose market share by reducing incentives or killing off losers or less profitable vehicles and brands.

Ford could increase market share overnight very easily by simply putting an additional $2K on the hood of every vehicle. But profits would suffer greatly.

• Like 1

Yeah, sad to see how well the NX is doing vs the MKC, which really is a great vehicle. As you said, a lot of it is the reputation they've built up for years/decades now.

I still don't understand why people are so focused on market share. Lest we forget GM, Ford and Chrysler were #1, 3 and 4 respectively in market share in 2008. 2 went bankrupt and Ford was really really close. Market share means very little unless you factor in profit margin.

It's entirely possible to increase profits and lose market share by reducing incentives or killing off losers or less profitable vehicles and brands.

Ford could increase market share overnight very easily by simply putting an additional $2K on the hood of every vehicle. But profits would suffer greatly.

I think it's more that as fans of the company, we want both - higher profits, and increased sales/market share. Obviously as things stand now for a variety of reasons, that isn't happening, but I'm sure they'd (Ford) say profit > market share anyday, which really as a business, it is. It'll be interesting to see what happens with sales, and if they continue to increase, Ford would have to look into new/additional factories and/or increasing factory capacity through expansion, to keep up with the market, no?

Edited by rmc523

I really think there are lots of people who simply equate sales numbers and market share with profits meaning that increasing sales and market share automatically equals more profit. Or as you say it's just brand bragging rights.

Oh, no doubt....look at GM, that still seems to be the mentality.