Ford Working with Gorilla Glass on GT

Not necessarily. IMO, he's being groomed as a potential CEO. He was promoted from head of a regional P&L to a position of global oversight.

It certainly looks that way. His star has been rising steadily; he has gone from being an engineer to running an engineering team to running a major project (Mustang) to running a small unit (SVT) to running an internaitonal unit (South American operations) to running a global unit (procurement). I don't know if he's close enough to succeed Fields, but he has to be near the top of their succession list.

It certainly looks that way. His star has been rising steadily; he has gone from being an engineer to running an engineering team to running a major project (Mustang) to running a small unit (SVT) to running an internaitonal unit (South American operations) to running a global unit (procurement). I don't know if he's close enough to succeed Fields, but he has to be near the top of their succession list.

He's still 10 years out from retirement.

Stuff is too weak for automotive applications...see how easily your iPhone/iPod/iPad glass breaks.

last time I checked, a windshield or lens cover is alot thicker then a cell phone screen...not to mention I've never cracked/broke a screen on any of my apple products I've owned over the years....going back to a Iphone 2GS.

last time I checked, a windshield or lens cover is alot thicker then a cell phone screen...not to mention I've never cracked/broke a screen on any of my apple products I've owned over the years....going back to a Iphone 2GS.

I somehow managed to crack the LCD on my iPhone 3g, but not the glass itself. I've had students bring back iPads with broken glass, but even that is a rare event.

I've rarely had problems with cracked glass in my vehicles, but if they can make the exterior surface more scratch-resistant and resistant to the normal erosion that degrades visibility over time, that would be a big-time win. I'd be there's also a surprising amount of weight that could be save be using thinner, stronger glass (thicker glass is one of the reasons that Lincolns have tended to weigh more that their Ford counterparts).

I think light weighting has as much or more to do with the gorilla glass development for the GT.

Ford appears to be looking everywhere for weight savings in regards the GT (why not? in relation to a $350k-$400k MSRP what's an additional $1k to $2k for a lightweight extra strong windshield). Besides I'm sure Ford wants to put the upcoming Zora (midengine) corvette a rung below the GT in every way possible.

• 3 years later...
On 12/21/2015 at 11:02 AM, silvrsvt said:

Do you leave your iPhone out in the hot sun or freezing cold all day?  Ever take an ice scraper to it?  

15 minutes ago, GDSalute said:

Do you leave your iPhone out in the hot sun or freezing cold all day?  Ever take an ice scraper to it?  

"During development, we tried different glass variations before we found a combination that provided both weight savings and the durability needed for exterior automotive glass," said Paul Linden, Ford body exteriors engineer. "We learned, somewhat counter intuitively, that the strengthened interior layer of the windshield is key to the success of the hybrid window."

"The new Gorilla Glass hybrid window laminate is approximately 25 percent to 50 percent thinner, and has equal to, or greater strength than traditional laminate"

Did you read the article? Or just wanting to be a troll? It is not the same glass used on an iPhone!!:banghead:

Edited by danglin

Interesting so this thread started over 3 years ago and thus the article is from 3 years ago.    Is  Hau Thai Tang still being groomed for something?      https://www.autonews.com/article/20181126/OEM02/181129939/hau-thai-tang

And after Ford used this Gorilla Glass hybrid on the 2017  GT  Porsche used it on the 911    http://www.thedrive.com/news/22835/porsche-is-the-first-automaker-to-use-gorilla-glass-windows  but using it on roll up windows can be a problem since it is so thin it can flex at high speeds. 

Edited by Fordowner
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Fordowner said:

Interesting so this thread started over 3 years ago and thus the article is from 3 years ago.    Is  Hau Thai Tang still being groomed for something?      https://www.autonews.com/article/20181126/OEM02/181129939/hau-thai-tang

I think Hau Thai Tang gets too much credit for the fast recovery from that fire !  People closer to the problem, especially the "boots on the ground" should get more of the credit.  The original assessment was that most of the machinery was a total loss.  Ford engineers determined that much of it could be saved. Middle level management put enormous pressure on the tooling company to change their production schedule and get replacement part manufactured and delivered.

Hau Thai Tang still has a bright future at Ford !