Ecosport Spy Pics, Hints of Future U.S. Sales

Obviously SUV's are hot and seems like those trends will continue and Ford could use this vehicle here ASAP to offset softer sales of entry level Fiesta's and Focus models. They just need to ditch the spare tire on the wheel and add a tire sealant kit.

Where would they produce this thing, Brazil?

IMHO, I would like to see the Bronco model as a higher-end version, like a mini Raptor. The Ford parts bin has all the necessary items, like the new 9-speed, 2.0/2.3 EB, RS-type AWD suspension pieces, so it's not like having to start from scratch.

Or maybe they will federalize the Troller with a body that can meet US impact regs. :)

• Like 1

I posted these pics a while back.....not sure if it was at all related, but I saw this pair of EcoSports here in South Florida a few months back....not sure why they were here, but they clearly weren't production models (obviously they're not sold here anyway).

F1A7D043-7C01-4D6C-AFDC-1D9A74C88C36_zps

008C2B48-465B-4FC1-BD44-529E8A757E0D_zps

87CCA496-70EB-4148-A830-36BE7CD87056_zps

Honestly, this is a s**t product.

I'm struggling with this CUVs role in a US portfolio. It is 160" long - 7-9" shorter than other B- CUVs. It could be the first "A" CUV. Really, really small. But I'm not sure Americans want really really small.

It's not an off-road product by any stretch.

It won't be more fuel-efficient. It doesn't seem to out perform its peers in the UK.

Ford needs to re-think their entire A/B and emerging/developed market strategy. I suppose they can bring cheap, small, compromised CUV like this to the US, but it would be dumb, imo.

Honestly, this is a s**t product.

I'm struggling with this CUVs role in a US portfolio. It is 160" long - 7-9" shorter than other B- CUVs. It could be the first "A" CUV. Really, really small. But I'm not sure Americans want really really small.

It's not an off-road product by any stretch.

It won't be more fuel-efficient. It doesn't seem to out perform its peers in the UK.

Ford needs to re-think their entire A/B and emerging/developed market strategy. I suppose they can bring cheap, small, compromised CUV like this to the US, but it would be dumb, imo.

Exactly.

EcoSport is 157" and 167" with the external spare tire. So it is about 3 inches shorter than the Fiesta hatch (160"). All the other B-segment CUVs are around 167~168" so EcoSport gives up 10" of interior space to competitors like Chevy Trax, Jeep Renegade, Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3 etc.

This car was designed for sale in India where 4 meters (~157") is the magic number between reasonable and very high annual taxes. This is also why Ford can't fit the spare tire under the trunk like a normal car... the trunk is too shallow to even fit a space saver donut tire under the cargo area as it would interfere with the rear axle.

Ford needs to work on a proper B-segment (~167" or around 4.2 meters) CUV to compete. Leave the EcoSport, which is really A-segment, overseas.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

Exactly.

EcoSport is 157" and 167" with the external spare tire. So it is about 3 inches shorter than the Fiesta hatch (160"). All the other B-segment CUVs are around 167~168" so EcoSport gives up 10" of interior space to competitors like Chevy Trax, Jeep Renegade, Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3 etc.

This car was designed for sale in India where 4 meters (~157") is the magic number between reasonable and very high annual taxes. This is also why Ford can't fit the spare tire under the trunk like a normal car... the trunk is too shallow to even fit a space saver donut tire under the cargo area as it would interfere with the rear axle.

Ford needs to work on a proper B-segment (~167" or around 4.2 meters) CUV to compete. Leave the EcoSport, which is really A-segment, overseas.

The first generation Ecosport was also a similar length which leads me to think that Ford Sth America

developed the vehicle for themselves / BRIC nations and anywhere else that wanted it.

Ecosport is small and you notice it after sitting in Trax and CX-3, that's why I felt it was a mistake for North America

and something like a jacked up Focus (Subaru XV) would be easier to sell to those buyers....

The kindest thing I can say about the Ecosport is that it's better suited as a 3-door hatch with the rear seats folded down.

With Ecosport, you either have room for back seat passengers or a decent cargo space but not both at the same time.

Edited by jpd80

Not the Focus XV again. Jacked up Focus? That's called an Escape. It's a different Market and price point. Even if Ford did do an "XV" for incremental sales it would not be a competitor to the B Class CUVs.

Ok How about a Fiesta XV instead? Do any of the Smaller CUVs like the Trax, etc offer AWD?

My guess is Ford will eventually end up with all 3:

1. A-segment CUV to replace EcoSport in developing countries (paired with Ikon/Ka program)
  2. B-segment CUV to replace the current EcoSport (paired with Fiesta/B-Max program)
  3. C-segment hatchback size CUV (paired with Focus/C-Max program)

In addition to existing line up of:

4. C-segment wagon size CUV Escape/Kuga (paired with Grand C-Max program)

5. D-segment size CUV Edge (paired with Fusion/S-Max program)

6. E-segment size CUV Explorer (paired with CD6 sedan program... if such a thing exists :stirpot: )

Edited by bzcat

Not the Focus XV again. Jacked up Focus? That's called an Escape. It's a different Market and price point. Even if Ford did do an "XV" for incremental sales it would not be a competitor to the B Class CUVs.

I have actually driven Ecosport, Trax, Focus, Kuga (Escape) and Subaru XV.......

At the moment, Ecosport is something like 17" shorter than Escape, so there's

a lot of latitude there to build a better alternative for north America.

At 171" long, Focus is a bit close to Escape's 178" length but the shape is different.

Trax is 167" long and in Ecosport (160"+spare), you do notice the reduction in interior room,

Between Trax and the Escape Focus hatch's length is probably a better match for buyer expectations.

I doubt that the new Utility needs to be a whole 11" shorter than Escape

Edited by jpd80