2017 Escape Spied w/ Rear Completely Uncovered

This is a great improvement, i was considering an Edge or MKC would have to put this on my list as a maybe.

When is it out?

Historically, the past Escapes hit the lots in late summer? Fordtech1 usually posts the build dates for all the cars in their appropriate forums. That'd be a good start. Edited by Hugh

Looks like they've swapped the manual parking brake lever for an E-Brake. Nice touch...

I didn't notice that. That'd make my better half happy. I reef on the e-brake so hard that she has trouble taking it off. Edited by Hugh

There is basically no tech/features available on the new 2017 Escape that the Focus doesn't already have, other than new Adaptive Cruise and the system that they are using is old, doesn't include auto-brake, or Stop and Go feature. At this point it is just laughable that Ford still doesn't have a collision mitigation system available on anything other than a 55K+ MKX in the USA. I would assume that Sync Connect will spread to the full model line for the '17 model year. Over all its a nice update, tighten up the front of it, and the back is very Forester but it works. Loaded this one will probably top 40K sticker, the order banks open after the first of the year so these should be on the road in spring.

Adaptive cruise, auto high beams, sync connect, driver alert. Not as much as I originally thought. My point was simply that Ford will put more effort into the Escape refresh than the Fusion refresh because Escape yields higher ATPs and profit margins.

And we all know you think automatic braking is the answer to world peace and world hunger but I think it's clear that Ford is being very careful with the technology before implementing it widely to see if people are demanding it and whether there are any real world technical issues that pop up. So far it doesn't seem like they're hurting for sales.

• Like 1

Adaptive cruise, auto high beams, sync connect, driver alert. Not as much as I originally thought. My point was simply that Ford will put more effort into the Escape refresh than the Fusion refresh because Escape yields higher ATPs and profit margins.

And we all know you think automatic braking is the answer to world peace and world hunger but I think it's clear that Ford is being very careful with the technology before implementing it widely to see if people are demanding it and whether there are any real world technical issues that pop up. So far it doesn't seem like they're hurting for sales.

Auto high beams and driver Alert are on the 16 focus as well as well as adaptive cruise in Europe.

Nothing is hurting sales now because capacity is maxed out, my parents are getting older and their next suv will have auto breaking it is a requirement from my dad. If by next year no affordable to them ford suv doesn't have it he will driving something else. But with ford plants maxed out they could care about a 45 year old employee/retire.

Ford is way to content on 11-12% margins and not enough about the actual product. Options are getting really confusing Again along with model likes, no reason things are packaged the way they are.

Edited by jasonj80

Would have been nice of the 2.0L EB had a few more horses. I'm sure weight didn't drop on that porker with the added tech, but for something being a mid-cycle you can tell they are wanting to sell even more if they can.

In my experience the 231 hp on 87 octane has plenty of power. It is the 270 lb ft which grabs you. As for the weight, I have a friend who has a CX-5 with the 184 Ski-Activ so I went for a spin. It's more nimble but IMO not decively so. It is loader and it creaks noticeably more. I am chalking it up to all classes of autos are getting bigger. To each their own.

Edited by Hugh

Not to drag Foci into this but isn't the Focus a year or two older than Escape? Besides, there's no stipulation that the new features can't be released for the next model year?

The 2008 escape was pretty bare bones tech wise after the redesign. It wasn't until 2009 that we got a dang USB port and steering wheel audio controls...

• Like 1

Auto high beams and driver Alert are on the 16 focus as well as well as adaptive cruise in Europe.

Nothing is hurting sales now because capacity is maxed out, my parents are getting older and their next suv will have auto breaking it is a requirement from my dad.

I don't see auto high beams listed on the Focus Titanium, but your point is taken that most of this stuff is not really new to Ford.

The 2017 MKZ will have auto braking. Like I said they're rolling it out cautiously.

But I still don't understand why that's a deal breaker. My 2013 Fusion has collision warning. It beeps loudly and flashes red lights in the windshield. The only way automatic braking would make a difference is if you're actually incapacitated and unable to activate the brakes yourself. It saved me from a minor fender bender in stop and go traffic when I nodded off for a split second. I'm not saying we don't need it - people will want it just like BLIS and other things that aren't strictly necessary.

"....refresh will be more about the technology and performance rather than exterior looks."

It's not 1959, where upper class car buyers wanted the newest tail fins in their driveway. Now, its "look at the new apps" and gizmos.

True, but the new front is enough of an improvement that I would hold off buying an Escape until this one debuts.

• Like 1

"SUVs now account for about one third of the U.S. auto industry, a number Ford projects will grow to 40 percent by 2020. In the United States..."

Don't expect any Focus/Fusion wagons making a comeback anytime soon. And even when gas prices go up, buyers will ask for hybrid Utes.

or you will see the more wagons to capture some of the ASP of CUVs.

My wife's minivan has the auto brights and it sounds silly, but it is really a nice option. I was just telling her earlier this week I wish my car has them. I drive a lot of back roads and the number of times I have to turn them on and off in a single trip makes it one of those "really nice to haves".

My wife's minivan has the auto brights and it sounds silly, but it is really a nice option. I was just telling her earlier this week I wish my car has them. I drive a lot of back roads and the number of times I have to turn them on and off in a single trip makes it one of those "really nice to haves".

Yeah, I see it being a great feature outside of city areas especially.

That was my favorite feature on my 2013 Fusion - and a complete surprise the first time I drove it (before I read the owner's manual).

• Like 1

I'd much rather see automatic headlamps that turn on at night and when the wipers are active. I see 3 or 4 vehicles driving at dusk or later with no lights every time I go out. And close to 20% or more driving in the rain with no lights. That's far more dangerous.

• Like 6

I'm normally against government regulations... But auto dimming brights needs to be mandated...

Tired of being blinded by inconsiderate assholes; it's a safety hazard for everyone on the road

Some just have no clue that they have the brights on.....or they turn the brights on when a headlight is out.

I'd much rather see automatic headlamps that turn on at night and when the wipers are active. I see 3 or 4 vehicles driving at dusk or later with no lights every time I go out. And close to 20% or more driving in the rain with no lights. That's far more dangerous.

Agreed. Fords have the lights on w/ wipers feature.

Regarding the auto headlights - definitely agree....and it's made worse by the fact that many vehicles have the gauges lighted up all the time now.

Ford has had the autolamps tied to the wipers for years but they only work if autolamps are on. I'd make autolamps automatic and force you to turn them off if you don't want them on (and they'd reset to on when you restart the vehicle).

Ah, I understand what you're saying now. I wouldn't be opposed to that. Service departments would hate you though.

Perhaps I live under a rock, or maybe it's because I'm constantly looking after 2 of my own kids and 22 adopted ones, but I had no idea this was even a thing.

As much country road driving as I do? My goodness.. a Godsend.

It is completely a first-world gotta have. It is really handy.

I saw the interior pictures more closely tonight. I see the sport shift has been removed from the center shifter and paddles have been added to the steering column. I can't seem to find the steering wheel SYNC command button thought. The center HVAC controls are larger and appear to be easier to use. The upper IP hasn't changed but with the exception of the center screen setup, no charges were required IMO.