Sync 3 Update List - When can we Order and Receive

logistically, the head unit, IP display(s) and APIM are located in three separate places.

Upgrading MFT to Sync 3 is not a 'plug-n-play' operation w/a single head unit. It's more like the DN101 Taurus/Sable where you had the head unit, the amp/tuner and the CD changer in three different locations.

I would not be surprised if B-Square cooked up significantly different codebases for the higher end and lower end MFTs, because they did just about everything else wrong w/that project. That's something I would not expect w/Sync 3.

In a vacuum, I'd expect that Sync3 would have object code corresponding to each possible option, with the app querying for each unit and then instantiating the object control for it on system start, but there could be various reasons why this wasn't practical---however, it would be best-practice to do so.

Sync 3 is a completely different piece of hardware.

As a long time MLT user (on my 3rd car), I can't wait for this thing to die. I think Sync 3 is actually a much better looking interface with a better display. I got to use it on an MKC but unfortunately the MKX is a year behind so I'm stuck with it for a few more years. But with Siri Eyes Free, I can bypass most of the trouble of using MLT.

Well said, BORG.

The operating system for Sync 3 is also completely different - QNX rather than Windows Embedded Automotive. QNX is much, much better suited for automobile infotainment/IVI (or any embedded systems application, really) than Microsoft's platform, which is the worst possible option for such devices. While the main reason for MFT/MLT woes is simply poor design, using a substandard platform like Windows Embedded Automotive just makes things worse.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about that "skirt" thing. That was my iphone doing that. Glad you answered though.

We are looking for a city commuter car to replace the Escape (the Macan is getting miles piled up too quickly), and we've narrowed it down to the Sync 3 Fiesta or Focus, a Countryman Mini - and if the price was lower, a Volt. I woulod do a hybrid escape - but there are none. WTH

I've heard the complaints of the MFT Sync but honestly I have had no issues with the 2 Explorers with it. Sure Sync 3 BETTER be better than the older version but as picky as I am at times with tech, no real complaints other than it's a little laggy at times (especially at start up), but never any real issues.

Sorry about that "skirt" thing. That was my iphone doing that. Glad you answered though.

We are looking for a city commuter car to replace the Escape (the Macan is getting miles piled up too quickly), and we've narrowed it down to the Sync 3 Fiesta or Focus, a Countryman Mini - and if the price was lower, a Volt. I woulod do a hybrid escape - but there are none. WTH

Did you try the Cmax, we ended up with an Escape for towing purposes but actually enjoyed our test drive of the CMax. With gas prices as they are I bet you could get good price right now.

From my Sales Rep just now ... Merry Christmas. :-)

In Order Processing Scheduled to Day (Dec-07-2015) Ford Oakville Assembly, ON Nov-21-2015, 00:10 EST Dec-23-2015 Dec-29-2015

In Order Processing Scheduled to Week (Week -of Dec-07-2015) Ford Oakville Assembly, ON Nov-12-2015, 07:44 EST Dec-28-2015 Jan-03-2016
In Order Processing Unscheduled- Clean Nov-11-2015, 19:21 EST

Thanks for the update, Dedonut! That's earlier than I thought.

If I'm not mistaken, all MY 2016 Lincoln vehicles except MKZ now come equipped with Sync 3 as a standard feature.

YVW. Just sorry MKZ is left out this year. As mentioned earlier, we have that ordered, too. Don't know why they left such a popular car out of the loop this year. Guess it's selling well w/o Sync 3.