IUAW Hits Home Run in Chrysler Agreement

tooltime

A raise is great if you still have a job. In the Detroit area, this contract calls for a cut of 750 jobs when the Ram truck moves from Warren to Sterling Heights, and calls for the Patriot/Compass, Dart, and 200 to be moved to Mexico- a total of about 400K= Units of production. A lot of T2s are ecstatic about the raises they earned as they should be, but raises are worthless if your job is going to be cut.

Get real! There is enough work for everyone at Fiat

The Mexico threat is real---- With these raises and increases at FCA I can see a steady loss of product in America and a boon of investment in Mexico over the next 10 years.

Love the raises and increases, hate to see loss of jobs............... Wheres the sweetspot for wages and benefits?

The Mexico threat is real---- With these raises and increases at FCA I can see a steady loss of product in America and a boon of investment in Mexico over the next 10 years.

Love the raises and increases, hate to see loss of jobs............... Wheres the sweetspot for wages and benefits?

They have been doing this since the 90's though right?

I'm not being a smartass it's a legit question. When exactly did large amounts of production shift there?

They have been doing this since the 90's though right?

I'm not being a smartass it's a legit question. When exactly did large amounts of production shift there?

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/10/bmw-kia-daimler-ag-and-renault-nissan-have-announced-plans-for-new-facilities-in-mexico/

"Mexico is the seventh-largest vehicle manufacturer in the world, and the sixth-biggest manufacturer of auto parts, with an estimated $81.5 billion in sales in 2014. Mexico’s auto production will rise to more than a quarter of the entire North American market in the next six years."

Seems Mexico will produce 25% more North American production in the next 6 years-- Ross Perot was right, the sucking sound is in high gear now with no sign of slowing down

Sad but true------

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/10/bmw-kia-daimler-ag-and-renault-nissan-have-announced-plans-for-new-facilities-in-mexico/

"Mexico is the seventh-largest vehicle manufacturer in the world, and the sixth-biggest manufacturer of auto parts, with an estimated $81.5 billion in sales in 2014. Mexicos auto production will rise to more than a quarter of the entire North American market in the next six years."

Seems Mexico will produce 25% more North American production in the next 6 years-- Ross Perot was right, the sucking sound is in high gear now with no sign of slowing down

Sad but true------

This so-called threat that keeps being referred to as Mexico has been around for many a year. We see the large corporations move south of the border for nothing more or nothing less than for "projected" profit.

Big business both here in United States and in Europe can only see one thing and that's the money that they project to actually make. (Profit) They tend to not take into consideration and/or actually forget the last capital loosing ventures that have been put south of the border or in China or Russia. (Russia was going to take over all 502 production, remember?)

Lowering manufacturing cost by going to Mexico definitely makes the profit margin "look" extremely good. But like in the recent past the large corporations tend to get mesmerized by these large profit numbers. When the corporations get in this profit trance these profit margin addicts tend to overlook one small detail. That is you only reach profitability when you sell an actual product. Never has cutting costs lead to a billion dollar profit.

Building any product in a country that gives lowered manufacturing cost (cheap labor) doesn't and has never guaranteed profit. Profits are only realized when the marketplace buys the products. Now where is the marketplace? United States, Canada, Europe etc. Im sure the corporations would love to see that zillion people population in China by cars and trucks the way the Americans, the Canadians or the Europeans buy their products. But here is the key, they don't. Why? Making just survival existent wages is the reason. Very few Chinese, Indian or Russians can spend the money they earn on the finished products that the corporations make the profits on.

The labor in The United States, Canada, Europe and the few other market places of the world are the market places because of one thing, our wages. We buy the products, we spend the money that we are projected to earn. Take that out of the market place and what will happen? Has happened? No projected profits.

For all this fear mongering or just plain the sky is falling talk, it's getting to be a real old broken record. Let them take every bit of labor somewhere else, like the cooperations have tried in the past and we will start to hear the same old song.... Are Profits are falling... Are profits are falling.

People you are living in one of a few secure market places in the world. Take our wages out of the market place and the projected profit junkies will be headed back to re hab. Again.

Decker

• Like 3

This so-called threat that keeps being referred to as Mexico has been around for many a year. We see the large corporations move south of the border for nothing more or nothing less than for "projected" profit.

Big business both here in United States and in Europe can only see one thing and that's the money that they project to actually make. (Profit) They tend to not take into consideration and/or actually forget the last capital loosing ventures that have been put south of the border or in China or Russia. (Russia was going to take over all 502 production, remember?)

Lowering manufacturing cost by going to Mexico definitely makes the profit margin "look" extremely good. But like in the recent past the large corporations tend to get mesmerized by these large profit numbers. When the corporations get in this profit trance these profit margin addicts tend to overlook one small detail. That is you only reach profitability when you sell an actual product. Never has cutting costs lead to a billion dollar profit.

Building any product in a country that gives lowered manufacturing cost (cheap labor) doesn't and has never guaranteed profit. Profits are only realized when the marketplace buys the products. Now where is the marketplace? United States, Canada, Europe etc. Im sure the corporations would love to see that zillion people population in China by cars and trucks the way the Americans, the Canadians or the Europeans buy their products. But here is the key, they don't. Why? Making just survival existent wages is the reason. Very few Chinese, Indian or Russians can spend the money they earn on the finished products that the corporations make the profits on.

The labor in The United States, Canada, Europe and the few other market places of the world are the market places because of one thing, our wages. We buy the products, we spend the money that we are projected to earn. Take that out of the market place and what will happen? Has happened? No projected profits.

For all this fear mongering or just plain the sky is falling talk, it's getting to be a real old broken record. Let them take every bit of labor somewhere else, like the cooperations have tried in the past and we will start to hear the same old song.... Are Profits are falling... Are profits are falling.

People you are living in one of a few secure market places in the world. Take our wages out of the market place and the projected profit junkies will be headed back to re hab. Again.

Decker

You seem to have the whole picture in sight. The best times we had were during the Auto Pact years,sell where you build. Vehicles built in Canada could be sold in the USA but equal value was sold in Canada by USA built vehicles. Great system, even had a thing called parity committee that assured that similar vehicles were built in mirror plants on both sides of border using the same work methods. I was lucky that my time working was mainly during this time, my plant was born because of this and died when it ended.

• Like 3

You seem to have the whole picture in sight. The best times we had were during the Auto Pact years,sell where you build. Vehicles built in Canada could be sold in the USA but equal value was sold in Canada by USA built vehicles. Great system, even had a thing called parity committee that assured that similar vehicles were built in mirror plants on both sides of border using the same work methods. I was lucky that my time working was mainly during this time, my plant was born because of this and died when it ended.

Funny thing about common sense, if politicians happen to stumble upon it, it won't be long before they decide too or figure out how to go the opposite way.....

Wow here we go again......eight years to progress to full pay. Sounds vaguely familiar to "returning the 25% tier two employee cap at the end of the agreement", that verbal agreement was for naught. Don't fall for the kick the can down the road language past the agreement date, (typically four years), as my friend says........"that trick never works". Remember at the end of the agreement they start with a blank paper and all previous language may or may not be honored.

Be strong, smart and vote your conscience FCA employees. Being the lead in negotiations is a great responsibility in this day of pattern bargaining.

The sweet spot is right where we are now!

We will all pay for these raises in the future probably a way we don't want to!

The people you elect are supposed to be your voice, vote in new people if you don't like who is there now.

You can't have all UAW members vote on who is the union president, smaller locals from other parts of the country may have a great leader and if no one in the big 3 knows of him because he's at a smaller place in the middle of no where that person would never have a shot.

It's wise to have the elected officials make that choice as they know who is who.

It's up to us to make sure we keep local officials honest and in check by letting them know any nonsense and you will not be reelected.

Go ahead everyone scream about the corruption and you know better.

Make the system work for you, don't let it work you.

i'm lost as to what you are saying. why can't we have all uaw members vote on OUR president? isn't that democratic? so if you live in tecumseh mi., small town. you should not be able to vote for the president of the USA?man they got you brain washed. i wish you you the best. you're alarm clock is ringing,,,,,wake the hell up!!!

Edited by jerrymaker
  • Like 2

i'm lost as to what you are saying. why can't we have all uaw members vote on OUR president? isn't that democratic? so if you live in tecumseh mi., small town. you should not be able to vote for the president of the USA?man they got you brain washed. i wish you you the best. you're alarm clock is ringing,,,,,wake the hell up!!!

Not much for reading and comprehension are you?

Do you not get that if the rank and file votes on the president one of the three auto makers wins every time. It's like playing poker with a stacked deck.

Smaller places like John Deere, Cat, and other places that are union would never have a shot at getting one of their own elected. Volume would dictate the winner, not the credentials.

Think about how many of your loca leaders thst get elected that you might not like but all of his buddies for the last 15 years vote them in time and time again.

The membership could never make a totally informed decision because of the wide employer base the UAW covers. You wouldn't have first hand dealings with half of the potential candidates because they could be from a company you never heard of. You understand?

He'd be known only in the International circles, not down to the local level of every plant across the country. It would result in a biased vote and smaller companies represented by the UAW would infact have no voice because of volume of voters.

Maybe I am not explaining this right.

That's funny dude cuz potus gets elected on volume also not credentials or else a jr senator from Illinois wouldn't b in office rt now!!! 1man 1vote period!!

Flawed argument, popular vote means nothing. There is nothing like the electoral college that would keep a bias of volume in check for voting on the international president.

And I think Obama got voted in solely because the other party put up the equivalent of a wet sponge up against him twice. Another reason the dems will win the next one.

And I think Obama got voted in solely because the other party put up the equivalent of a wet sponge up against him twice. Another reason the dems will win the next one.

Obama was elected largely because of his race IMHO & bold promises that were a pipe dream.

Most reasonable intelligent people should now see what no experience yields as a president of the USA.

Party line voting for any party , specific race or gender is part of the problem and not part of the solution.

• Like 2

Not much for reading and comprehension are you?

Do you not get that if the rank and file votes on the president one of the three auto makers wins every time. It's like playing poker with a stacked deck.

Smaller places like John Deere, Cat, and other places that are union would never have a shot at getting one of their own elected. Volume would dictate the winner, not the credentials.

Think about how many of your loca leaders thst get elected that you might not like but all of his buddies for the last 15 years vote them in time and time again.

The membership could never make a totally informed decision because of the wide employer base the UAW covers. You wouldn't have first hand dealings with half of the potential candidates because they could be from a company you never heard of. You understand?

He'd be known only in the International circles, not down to the local level of every plant across the country. It would result in a biased vote and smaller companies represented by the UAW would infact have no voice because of volume of voters.

Maybe I am not explaining this right.

I understand where you are coming from and what you are saying. But, appointees get their positions by their buddies wanting to keep their own appointed positions, not what they want to do for the membership or how well they can do that. If the membership voted on IUAW positions, the people running would be forced to make their case to ALL UAW members over a preset timetable. Whatever the timetable, maybe 3 months or whatever, all candidates would inform members of their credentials and where they stand on major issues. I would think that debates between the candidates would be a good thing too. This way, even Joe Blow who works at some small UAW shop in New Mexico that has excellent idea's and is articulate, educated, well liked, has common sense, and has an understanding of how the UAW political scene works, has an equal opportunity of being elected. It would be much like presidential elections with a much shorter timetable and no lobbyist's to sway their opinions.

Heck, working at Ford for over 20 years, I have no idea what the beliefs are of our current leadership with the exception of the buzzwords they use when they get interviewed by the media at the beginning of each contract negotiation. For example....at the beginning of the current contract, he referenced to what we gave up and the huge profits the companies are now making due to our concessions and stood behind the podium and stated with passion......"Now is our time". Well, that got him a standing ovation and it looked great on TV. And all they got was minimal increases.....just enough to appease some and keep the wedge in place between the others.

True story......during the last contract negotiation, an entourage of people came through our shop, shaking hands, smiling and being friendly. Speaking vaguely on talking points they thought were of interest to us. I asked one of them about dividing our membership into tier1 and tier 2 while our union was built on the concept of UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL. That was answered with well rehearsed politi-speak that evaded the actual question. After they passed through our shop, I asked someone who they were and I was informed that it was our IUAW president and his upper level cronies.

There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere in the rank and file of the UAW, whether they be from a large automotive factory or some back street shop with 50 employees that is represented by the UAW, is a person of high integrity and whose focus is on what is right and fair for the workers while keeping the companies profitable. With the way the leadership is put in place(not elected by people they represent), that guy from the small shop in New Mexico who has the know-how and ability and could legitimately challenge the current lame ducks in office, will never have a chance to get his name on a IUAW ballot while at the same time, allowing the current leadership to follow the status-quot with no consequences when they do the membership wrong.

Edited by RougeWelder
  • Like 3

I understand where you are coming from and what you are saying. But, appointees get their positions by their buddies wanting to keep their own appointed positions, not what they want to do for the membership or how well they can do that. If the membership voted on IUAW positions, the people running would be forced to make their case to ALL UAW members over a preset timetable. Whatever the timetable, maybe 3 months or whatever, all candidates would inform members of their credentials and where they stand on major issues. I would think that debates between the candidates would be a good thing too. This way, even Joe Blow who works at some small UAW shop in New Mexico that has excellent idea's and is articulate, educated, well liked, has common sense, and has an understanding of how the UAW political scene works, has an equal opportunity of being elected. It would be much like presidential elections with a much shorter timetable and no lobbyist's to sway their opinions.

Heck, working at Ford for over 20 years, I have no idea what the beliefs are of our current leadership with the exception of the buzzwords they use when they get interviewed by the media at the beginning of each contract negotiation. For example....at the beginning of the current contract, he referenced to what we gave up and the huge profits the companies are now making due to our concessions and stood behind the podium and stated with passion......"Now is our time". Well, that got him a standing ovation and it looked great on TV. And all they got was minimal increases.....just enough to appease some and keep the wedge in place between the others.

True story......during the last contract negotiation, an entourage of people came through our shop, shaking hands, smiling and being friendly. Speaking vaguely on talking points they thought were of interest to us. I asked one of them about dividing our membership into tier1 and tier 2 while our union was built on the concept of UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL. That was answered with well rehearsed politi-speak that evaded the actual question. After they passed through our shop, I asked someone who they were and I was informed that it was our IUAW president and his upper level cronies.

There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere in the rank and file of the UAW, whether they be from a large automotive factory or some back street shop with 50 employees that is represented by the UAW, is a person of high integrity and whose focus is on what is right and fair for the workers while keeping the companies profitable. With the way the leadership is put in place(not elected by people they represent), that guy from the small shop in New Mexico who has the know-how and ability and could legitimately challenge the current lame ducks in office, will never have a chance to get his name on a IUAW ballot while at the same time, allowing the current leadership to follow the status-quot with no consequences when they do the membership wrong.

Very well said....