2017(?) Aluminum Expedition Spotted Testing

You're honestly the first person I've ever heard of with that opinion

Escape- girly crossover styling. (though it was never a serious 4x4)

Explorer - soccer-mom friendly neutered unibody design

We must browse very different car forums

Edited by probowler

Escape- girly crossover styling. (though it was never a serious 4x4)

Explorer - soccer-mom friendly neutered unibody design

We must browse very different car forums

Don't mistake a vocal minority for the direction that a market sector is actually going. The 2013 Escape is outselling is more squared out predecessor. The Explorer has always been popular as a family vehicle and has been pointed at that segment since the 2002 redesign.

To futher throw shade at you, my wife doesnt like the 2013 Escape because it doesnt look like a SUV. The 2017 model she likes better.

Don't mistake a vocal minority for the direction that a market sector is actually going. The 2013 Escape is outselling is more squared out predecessor. The Explorer has always been popular as a family vehicle and has been pointed at that segment since the 2002 redesign.

To futher throw shade at you, my wife doesnt like the 2013 Escape because it doesnt look like a SUV. The 2017 model she likes better.

Well not to throw shade at you.... But not only was I not arguing sales, I acknowledged the sales success of those redesigns , despite the early concerns of me and said vocal minority. Really the only point I offered for discussion was that I dont like this design, and I'm not alone... Though few we may be.

So I don't know... Learn to read?

If this looks anything like the bastardized Navigator,or a bigger Explorer, I just don't see the point... Just kill it already Ford.

But I guess we said the Same thing when they womanized the Explorer, and then the Escape... And we all know how that turned out. ... wildly successful

There ya go champ, I fixed it for ya, so you don't have to think too much.

Edited by probowler

I think people associate more traditional aspects of SUV design not with the masculine or feminine, but with fashion trends and prestige since these are vehicles that usually cost more and are considered to be more current. I personally never saw them that way until I considered an MKZ and my lizard brain kicked in and reminded me that the sedans are outmoded and less prestigious which combined with practical reasons such as comfort, ride height, and spaciousness.

Women tend to be more fashion and brand conscious and tend to lead the market's direction which is why they are biggest consumers of Crossovers, the Escape customer is over 60% female and has always trended female.

The criticism of the Escape design has more to do with the fact that it looked more like a car, not because it looked 'girly'. I like the design of the Escape, but it's proportions make it one of the weirdest in its segment. The new update brings a very familiar look, making it probably the least interesting in the segment to my eyes...regardless they can't sell more than they can make so they just have to hold onto the sales they have.

Edited by BORG

I personally do look at vehicles as masculine or feminine or some degree in between. Do most people today especially with the feminization of men, probably not. I do like the Escape but agree it has some weird proportions and angles. Ironically I still find it the most masculine of the small crossovers. I find in general Ford and even Gm lean to the masculine to middle of the scale. Of course since woman purchase or influence a majority of sales (I think I remember reading this) it seems like a good trend to move things more to the feminine side. Just not to far to keep the men happy and not my Mustang of course not to mention the F-150.

Although I do like the way this looks and the overall shape, I do not believe the front clip should be taken directly from the F150. The spy pictures suggest different headlights and grill, which I find encouraging. This vehicle must appeal to women which will require a somewhat softer look, if they expect it to gain real traction.

I think the Expedition needs to have a much more sleek luxury SUV appearance since these are effectively luxury vehicles, the F-150 appeals to a completely different clientele. I think one of the reasons Expedition has struggled is because it has such a harsh and forgettable utilitarian appearance better suited to a cargo van.

Edited by BORG