Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

akirby

Home defense

Thinking about a shotgun for home defense. The 2 leading candidates are:

Mossberg 500

Remington 870

Thinking 20 gauge pump with a short barrel (18-22").

Thoughts/suggestions?

I have a Mossberg and have had no issues with it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I don't shoot it a lot, but when I do, it functions perfectly. When buying a shotgun for home defense, the most important thing is that it functions as it should when you need it. Mine is a 12 gauge, though. Personally, I would go with a 12 gauge for the extra firepower. Plus, if you take it out to shoot skeet, the bruises a 12 gauge leaves are much more manly than those of a 20 gauge! :)

If it was just for me a 12 gauge would be ok, but I think a 20 gauge would be lighter and easier to control for the wife.

If it was just for me a 12 gauge would be ok, but I think a 20 gauge would be lighter and easier to control for the wife.

Yeah, that's a good point. You should probably get one of each then. :)

I'm a big fan of the Remington 870. For home protection & skeet shooting, I'd prefer the 20ga over 12ga and avoid the manly bruises. :)

Yeah, that's a good point. You should probably get one of each then. :)

I will need something to go in the gun rack in my 77 F100..........

My dad has 2 870s and both are really nice. They're not all that unwieldy to handle. My wife is all of 5' 4" and has no problems with the newer one.

I have a Mossberg 590 military spec. It's complete with bayonet lug, heat shroud and 8 slug capacity. Great shotgun.

I have a Mossberg 590 military spec. It's complete with bayonet lug, heat shroud and 8 slug capacity. Great shotgun.

That's some serious weaponry there!

That's some serious weaponry there!

Yes, I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul that comes to my house looking for trouble. lol The heat shroud works great. I can put 20 or 30 rounds through it in a matter of a minute or two and just grab the gun by the barrel with no worry of burns.

Yes, I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul that comes to my house looking for trouble. lol The heat shroud works great. I can put 20 or 30 rounds through it in a matter of a minute or two and just grab the gun by the barrel with no worry of burns.

But the bruise on the shoulder will last for days! :hysterical:

My full size gun is a Remington 11-87 police , my packer is a 10 1/2" barrel Winchester ( class 3 ) with choke tubes , back bored barrel and tritium night sight.

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

12 ga Mossberg 500 with 20 inch barrel. Loaded with 3 bird shot and 3 slugs (just in case the first 3 don't send the message).

Shotgun is Must needed item for home defence.!

Shotgun is the best bet for most people. I have my Sig P229 40 cal for home defense.

I have a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and it's a good size and length for in the house in tight situations. I also have a Glock Model 27 40 cal for the night stand and what I carried when I had a permit.

Edited by transitman

I have a Remington 870 with a 20" barrel and it's a good size and length for in the house in tight situations. I also have a Glock Model 27 40 cal for the night stand and what I carried when I had a permit.

I also have a Glock 27 that I use for concealed carry. I do wish it was a little more concealable though. Nevertheless a great gun.

And you can never go wrong with an 870.

My recommendation would be the 870. It may be a little more expensive than the Mossberg but you get what you pay for. I bought a new 500 once that I tried to use for hunting and was not impressed. However, I suppose the rattling slide bars could be an intimidating sound to a ne'er-do-well.

Remington is the only way to go...seeing as their factory is less than 20 miles from where I live.

Rossi Circuit Judge.

Has anybody used a Mossberg 500 tactical? Am concerned it might be tough on the wrists.

.38 sp in bed side, 12 gauge pump with pistol grip near enough. Kimber .45 if they are really dumb a Red Jacket custom AK.

The .38 is small and fitted with crimson trace laser grips for my wife, hollow points so they don't go through to the neighbors.

Defender 1200 is buckshot and slugs.

Hope things never get bad enough to need the kimber or the AK but all it would take is a few days of food shortages......

Moss 930. I know there are those that will say the racking of a pump will be all that is needed to scare away would be bad guy, but seeing as wife is involved, and god forbid it is ever needed rational thought goes out the window for most so why add an action of having to remember to pump it??

Mossberg Maverick 88 with an ATI folding stock. Nebo iProTec LG220 LED barrel light for nighttime use. Yes, the slides rattle a bit but if I'm having to walk thru my house looking for a bad guy, that is the least of my worries. CA Undercover .38 Special w/ Ruger ARX HD ammo is my bedside table weapon. Charles Evans 12g O/U full/modified for clays.