Ford will introduce a unique ordering process for the all-new Ford GT supercar

INFORMATION
2016 Ford GT Program Update
SUMMARY
The purpose of this communication is to provide dealers with new information on the Ford GT program and establish timing expectations for the ordering process.

Ford GT Program Update
Raj Nair, Ford’s Global Director of Product Development will be making the following announcement to a gathering of Ford GT owners on Thursday, August 27, 2015:

Ford will introduce a unique ordering process for the all-new Ford GT supercar, with the program commencing in early 2016.
Ford GTs will be assigned based on a customer application process, offering a personalized experience for every Ford GTbuyer.
Anyone can apply; priority will be given to loyal Ford customers including current Ford GT owners.
Applicants selected through the process will be assigned a car by Ford and complete their purchase through a Ford GT certified dealership of their choice.

Additional Information for Dealers

The Ford GT customer application process will begin in early 2016. Details on the application process will be provided closer to the application process start date.
Ford dealers will be able to opt-in and certify to sell the Ford GT. Details on the sales certification requirements will be communicated later this year.
A separate process will be established for Ford Dealership owners who wish to register and own a new Ford GT.
Limited production, high cost materials/parts and unique technologies will require unique factory-sponsored processes and resources to support customers and dealers. A separate service opt-in and certification process will be communicated in Q2/Q3 2016.
We recommend that dealers refrain from taking customer deposits.
As we continue to develop and refine the unique customer selection, allocation, and distribution processes for this extremely low-volume supercar, we will keep dealers fully informed.

Key Ford GT Product/Program Information (previously announced)

The Ford GT is an exciting demonstration of Ford’s capabilities and our culture of innovation & passion.
Ford Performance will begin racing the new Ford GT in 2016 in both the Tudor/IMSA and WEC road car racing series including a return to LeMans 50 years after the GT40 program’s historic 1-2-3 finish in 1966.
Production of the Ford GT road car will begin in late 2016 at dedicated facility in Markham, Ontario; global volume will be 250 vehicles per year.
The all-new Ford GT will be priced to compete with exotic sports cars including Lamborghini, Ferrari and McLaren.
Key vehicle specs:
Lightweight construction - 100% carbon fiber body panels and passenger cell
Aerodynamic design and active features including speed-activated deployable rear wing
3.5L V6 Ecoboost engine producing over 600hp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7MUK-eZVU

Edited by Dustyw85

The current Ford ordering/scheduling system is based on punch cards that were feed into a large IBM manframe back in the 60s/70s. That is why you can still sometimes hear "I'll pull your order and put it at the front". Back in the day, they physically DID pull your order card(s) and put the at the front of the stack.

Sounds like dealers aren't going to be able to makes tons of cash on ADM's to sell their allocation. That's great for the buyers!

That doesn't say who sets the price. If you're allowed to pick your dealer I assume you would have to negotiate the final price with them as well.

Ford setting the selling price violates most state franchise laws. Although Ford may work around that with the certification process, but it would most certainly have to be agreed to by the dealers.

That doesn't say who sets the price. If you're allowed to pick your dealer I assume you would have to negotiate the final price with them as well.

True, but if you don't like the price, you go to a different dealer and buy your car. You don't have to find a dealer that has a GT, you just have to find a dealer that is GT certified to sell it to you. Much easier than finding one with allocation.

True, but if you don't like the price, you go to a different dealer and buy your car. You don't have to find a dealer that has a GT, you just have to find a dealer that is GT certified to sell it to you. Much easier than finding one with allocation.

Yep, good point. And at those prices you'd be willing to pick it up just about anywhere so it doesn't even have to be a local dealer. And with such low volumes I'd expect at least one dealer to offer MSRP.

Of course there is still a potential legal issue with Ford choosing the buyers. But I don't think this will be enough volume for them to actually sue. Then again....

Yep, good point. And at those prices you'd be willing to pick it up just about anywhere so it doesn't even have to be a local dealer. And with such low volumes I'd expect at least one dealer to offer MSRP.

Of course there is still a potential legal issue with Ford choosing the buyers. But I don't think this will be enough volume for them to actually sue. Then again....

It mentioned that priority will be given to loyal Ford customers, so most of these buyers have likely spent hundreds of thousands of $$ at their dealer anyway. I'm sure they are in good with the dealership and both will work together to make it happen. Heck, even at MSRP, I'm sure the dealer will be making a handsome sum on the sale. Of course, I doubt they get to add in fabric protectant, paint sealant, under coating, and all the other goodies dealers like to add in. :)

I'm curious as to how the GT dealer "certification" is any different than the "Blue Oval Certified" program that got Ford in all sorts of tangles with the dealers?

It's difference because Blue Oval Certified had to do with customer service and it affected how much Ford paid the dealer on holdbacks on every vehicle they sold.

This isn't much different than a dealer being certified to sell electric vehicles - requires specialized equipment, tools and training. But the certification isn't really the issue - it's having Ford choose who can buy one even though Ford doesn't choose the dealer.

soory to burst bubbles, but the ADD'ms are going to be horrendous....numbers here on the GT350 are going to be $15k, 35k on the R's....don't condone it, but is what it is on extremely low volume specialty cars...I also heard Focus RS yearly numbers will be minimal as well.....250 ish.

reading the article is reminiscent of Ferraris process, where prior owners get priority. Ferrari themselves frowns on addendums on new cars....that was counter acted by dealers pre -registering the vehicles and thus selling "new" cars as used....

You said the addendums will be horrendous based on the GT350 addendums. I was trying to point out the difference.

With the GT350 you have a vehicle which is limited but already allocated to a dealer and that dealer has multiple buyers competing for it. Therefore Addendums can be added. The dealer can hold onto the vehicle until they get the price they're asking.

With this plan, the buyer has the allocation, not the dealer, and the dealers are competing for the sale. If they aren't the low bidder then they get NOTHING. And you know that buyers will be willing to go cross country if necessary to get the best price.

sincerely, I don't think what is proposed will be able to be instituted, but that remains to be seen, but expect SIGNIFICANT backlash from Dealers..especially if Ford themselves, as outlined, mandates whom the final customer is....oh, youre a friend of Henry Ford Jnr...hmmmm, how coincidental.....and really Kirby, you think dealers will be fighting for the lowest price on a car with 250 yearly units?....this is already screaming massive cock up. Lets sell GTs like we do Fiestas.....

I already said that I smell a lawsuit for the reasons you stated. But assuming it stands as advertised........

Ford gives allocation to the buyer. The buyer then calls 10 dealerships and says I'm willing to buy my GT from you - what's your price?

Do you honestly think all 10 will hold out for some huge addendum on a $400K car? You think some dealer somewhere won't offer MSRP especially since the dealer profit is probably at least $20K if not more?

The difference is the dealer doesn't hold the allocation, so they either get the sale by competing with all the other dealers or they get nothing.

We will see, but the car itself is a ways away, .and once this rumor hits the ears that be, my bet is things will change dramatically...there will be no dickering between dealers, and the consumer wont dictate how the vehicle will be bought. But whatever, smoke and mirrors right now, INCLUDING Msrp. IMO the MINIMUM on a 400k car ( presuming that's window, Ive heard less ) should be 15%...but that wont happen. If I recall, the $160k Gt was less than $8000.....that's nuts, and the very reason addendums happen in the first place..

Edited by Deanh

Aww, man, now how are we gonna get them to all end up in Texas so Dean can't get any? ;)

• Like 3

seriously, I doubt potential owners will have ANY leverage at all when it comes to price....then of course, there will be those that will buy the car a flip it for a significant profit.............THATS something Ford will have to avoid as well, maybe through a Gt pre-nup....lol....this will be interesting, 250 cars, 1800( ? ) dealers...............

Edited by Deanh

Ford doesn't have to avoid those purchasing the GT and then flipping it for profit. Not sure what you mean by that? The car will be ultra exclusive and those that have the opportunity to purchase it will likely hold onto it for years. I always love how dealers jump on any chance they get to profit on vehicle sales, but when the consumer profits on flipping an exclusive vehicle, it's the manufacture who has to worry. What?