Meanwhile, C&D Loves the Edge Sport

the awesomely bland 2008 focus

Missing in all your goal-post moving are these salient facts and, IMO, an inescapable conclusion:

The 2008 Focus was roundly criticized by the automotive press. "The most cynical car here" was Motor Trend's representative sobriquet.

It not only outperformed all of its peers in 2008, it did so in a horrendous market.

In 2009, it performed on par with its peer group, neither substantially better nor substantially worse.

If the opinions of automotive "journalists" and people such as yourself were at all representative--or persuasive--the Focus would not have, over a two year period, generally outperformed its competition.

I eagerly await your next bit of goal-post moving.

Missing in all your goal-post moving are these salient facts and, IMO, an inescapable conclusion:

The 2008 Focus was roundly criticized by the automotive press. "The most cynical car here" was Motor Trend's representative sobriquet.

It not only outperformed all of its peers in 2008, it did so in a horrendous market.

In 2009, it performed on par with its peer group, neither substantially better nor substantially worse.

If the opinions of automotive "journalists" and people such as yourself were at all representative--or persuasive--the Focus would not have, over a two year period, generally outperformed its competition.

I eagerly await your next bit of goal-post moving.

After the focus underperformed the market for the previous 5 years.

Much like Dean's hatred of the Camry, I hate the 2008 focus.

you got to love those fender vents

2008FORDFOCUS.jpg

what else should I expect form someone who loved the Ford 500

Edited by Biker16

It's irritating when some people can't admit they're wrong when faced with irrefutable facts.

Cognitive dissonance, I believe they call it?

Biker did ask how much gas cost in 2008. I remember those times very well since I was commuting from Baltimore to DC three or four times a week. In my area, gas prices spiked to $4.04 at the cheapest gas station, then fell off the table along with the rest of the US economy.

I have a 2008 Ford Focus SE deluxe with handling package and 5 speed with close to 130,000 trouble free miles. In Vapor Silver the vents look good. 1st Ford with Sync and it still and always has worked great. My Son took it over and he prefers it to the newer style and he is 19.

Well I'm sorry, the automotive press says it sucks, so you must decide to hate the car now. :rolleyes:

Automotive magazines only have a tiny amount of influence over enthusiasts. You know, those of us who equal about 1% of the buying public. To give them any more influence than that is to try to push your own agenda.

Case in point, ATS and CTS out BMW BMW's......................... and nobody cares. They are terrible Cadillacs, but great BMW's, which is why they don't sell.

• Like 2

And if buyers all listened to Automotive journalists, ATS and CTS would be selling like champions...

but guess what.......

The comparison tests I've read all say that the ATS and CTS beat the Germans on the skidpad, but still lag in the areas of refinement, build quality and drivetrains.

It seems to me that GM aimed to beat the Germans (or, BMW and, to a lesser extent, Mercedes) in one main area, but still lag in everything else. So it's not as though the ATS and CTS are necessarily "better" than their German counterparts across the board.

Plus, both cars have abandoned traditional Cadillac attributes to achieve that goal, which is alienating whatever is left of their customer base.

• Like 1

The comparison tests I've read all say that the ATS and CTS beat the Germans on the skidpad, but still lag in the areas of refinement, build quality and drivetrains.

It seems to me that GM aimed to beat the Germans (or, BMW and, to a lesser extent, Mercedes) in one main area, but still lag in everything else. So it's not as though the ATS and CTS are necessarily "better" than their German counterparts across the board.

Plus, both cars have abandoned traditional Cadillac attributes to achieve that goal, which is alienating whatever is left of their customer base.

This is a typical example of what GM is doing wrong with Cadillac,

and if we look at the Cadillac utilities, we see what they are doing right.

So confusing...

GM could have skipped new Alpha cars and just made a killing on new Cadillac utilities

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1