Meanwhile, C&D Loves the Edge Sport

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-edge-sport-27l-ecoboost-test-review

Yet when we scheduled a new Ford Edge to review, we couldn’t help but ask ourselves one more question: Who exactly is buying Ford’s two-row crossover SUV? It lives in a nearly forgotten segment between the compact Escape and the three-row, damn-the-minivan Explorer, offering neither the nimble, urban-friendliness of the former nor the practicality of the latter. It’s easy to forget the Edge exists, but this particular test helped shine light on its purpose.

The 315-hp 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6 is a beast, one that unleashes its power silently. Turbo response is practically instant—there’s no wait for the power to build, and all 350 lb-ft of torque are on duty at 2750 rpm. Acceleration is a rush, a fabulous surge through all six gears.

Even at that price, the Edge is a standout in its class, sophisticated and refined enough to justify the spend. It can even take a swing at the luxury segment. This isn’t a case of being drunk with twin-turbo power, even though that zero-to-60 run delivers a nice buzz—it’s about the powertrain’s sophistication. It’s superior to what you find under the hoods of luxury crossovers like the Lexus RX350, the Infiniti QX50 and QX70, and the Cadillac SRX.

• Like 1

Image this with the F-150 tune or actually with the MKX tune(335hp & 370tq). And the upcoming 9-speed should knock a few tens off both their times.

This does 0-60 in 5.6s and with a slightly higher tune the 4900lb F-150 XLT they tested did the deed in 5.7s I believe.

A thin-rimmed steering wheel is the antithesis of the Sport badge, but the light-effort steering helps mask the Edge’s mass. There’s plenty of compliance in the suspension and the ride is smooth, but Ford has managed to keep body movements under control. With the easy speed, light steering, and secure handling, there’s an illusion of deftness. But, the Edge doesn’t actually want to be hustled through curves. It prefers to rocket down freeways and stomp the unsuspecting when the light turns green. In other words, it’s ready for the duty cycle of nearly all Americans.

Sounds like most potential buyers who get behind the wheel for even a shot time will be convinced...

Great effort Ford, I hope edge becomes another big hit.

Imagine how well the MKX should do at 330HP and electronic suspension.

Although do they mention the heft again, its not trimmer than the last generation...Once again (and I know Biker will chime in on this)...How many times have we heard "Oh we are trimming weight, yes it'll get lighter and lighter, as our vehicles are updated we will take weight out"... so far only the F-series has realized that....Just sayin'....

Last paragraph of the article pretty much sums it up. Powertrains sophistication is better than what you will find in luxury cars.

• Like 1

Imagine how well the MKX should do at 330HP and electronic suspension.

Although do they mention the heft again, its not trimmer than the last generation...Once again (and I know Biker will chime in on this)...How many times have we heard "Oh we are trimming weight, yes it'll get lighter and lighter, as our vehicles are updated we will take weight out"... so far only the F-series has realized that....Just sayin'....

Last paragraph of the article pretty much sums it up. Powertrains sophistication is better than what you will find in luxury cars.

Better your words than mine.

BREAKING:

Entertainment outlet likes vehicle. Thinks we should care.

I quote Steve Martin from "L.A. Story" :

"I don't think you understand how unattractive hate is."

Given the decades of existence and their long-reserved spots at vehicle debuts, I have to assume that the manufacturers utterly disagree with you on their place in the buyers' decision-making. Your complete discounting of them comes of as something between bitter and delusional.

Yes, I know the main argument in your favor, I've seen it many times: if car mag reviews mattered, no one would be buying Camrys or Corollas. I attribute that to the mainstream media's shameless worship of Toyota and Honda, while most of the mags were more honest about matters.

Given the relationships that are maintained with the "buff books", the manufacturers must believe in some impact. I know that the reports of driving quality across the main players in the car mag arena helped sell me my Contour many years back, along with the Expedition I have now.

their long-reserved spots at vehicle debuts

A very good friend of mine runs a blog with a decent following. She was invited to the media reveal for the Hyundai Tucson.

Robert and I have had conversations about seeking invites to Ford vehicle debuts, Ford's media people mentioned it a few years back. I've had offers to get Ford press vehicles for review, but getting them to this location is difficult and I haven't pressed the issue because I don't think I can write objectively or usefully about new Ford products.

So please don't talk about how C&D has earned some 'long-reserved' spot at a vehicle launch as though those--and press fleet access--were unbelievably exclusive things.

--

C&D, like the rest of the 'buff books', is an entertainment vehicle, and the wiser writers in that business understand it.

The fools are the ones that, like Angus Young, carry around an inflated sense of their own importance: http://blogs.motortrend.com/opinions-14125.html

So it is your belief that occasional articles about Toyota in USA Today, for instance, sell hundreds of thousands of Camrys every year?

I believe that the combination of those articles, combined with those of other local news agencies, compounded over years, had positive impacts on the sales of Toyota and Honda...even when they were recent recall kings of the industry. The same reporters were likely very hesitant to damage their own reputations filing seeming contradictory stories.

Given that the Camry tends to be mid-pack or worse in driving impressions-with everyone-I attribute a great many sales to habit over all else, habits potentially a generation or two old by now.

A very good friend of mine runs a blog with a decent following. She was invited to the media reveal for the Hyundai Tucson.

Robert and I have had conversations about seeking invites to Ford vehicle debuts, Ford's media people mentioned it a few years back. I've had offers to get Ford press vehicles for review, but getting them to this location is difficult and I haven't pressed the issue because I don't think I can write objectively or usefully about new Ford products.

So please don't talk about how C&D has earned some 'long-reserved' spot at a vehicle launch as though those--and press fleet access--were unbelievably exclusive things.

--

C&D, like the rest of the 'buff books', is an entertainment vehicle, and the wiser writers in that business understand it.

The fools are the ones that, like Angus Young, carry around an inflated sense of their own importance: http://blogs.motortrend.com/opinions-14125.htm

Not one point in there disproves any level of their potential influence. As I'm unaware of how to measure the exact influence, and I'm certain you can't prove the opposite, why not put a little less effort into something that's either a grudge or just open dislike of entertaining journalism that still contains technical, measurable information?

Given the efforts of so many brands to insert themselves into entertainment, the marketers seem to see considerable value in the practice.

Given that the Camry tends to be mid-pack or worse in driving impressions-with everyone-I attribute a great many sales to habit over all else, habits potentially a generation or two old by now.

So Toyota sells hundreds of thousands of Camrys per year 'out of habit', while Ford sells hundreds of thousands of Fusions every year because it's a 'good car'?

I'm certain you can't prove the opposite

I can.

The 2008 Ford Focus.

It would take more time than it's worth to develop a rigorous methodology for rating reviews on a scale from 'negative' to 'neutral' to 'positive', but a seat-of-the-pants survey of Focus reviews shows an overwhelmingly and almost universally negative reception that was matched with a significant increase in retail sales and overall volume.

Motor Trend's month-long effort to take down the new Explorer failed to impact sales was another instance demonstrating the irrelevance of these entertainment outlets.

Edited by RichardJensen

I can.

The 2008 Ford Focus.

It would take more time than it's worth to develop a rigorous methodology for rating reviews on a scale from 'negative' to 'neutral' to 'positive', but a seat-of-the-pants survey of Focus reviews shows an overwhelmingly and almost universally negative reception that was matched with a significant increase in retail sales and overall volume.

Motor Trend's month-long effort to take down the new Explorer failed to impact sales was another instance demonstrating the irrelevance of these entertainment outlets.

Well I am not certain what the reviews said at the time but I do know gas shot up to upprecidented levels and Ford dealer's were going crazy for more Focus vehicles. I was at Ford's Naional Dealer meeting that year in Vegas and it was one of their main vehicles.

I agree with RJ that you cannot say since a vehicle was well received that it transpires into a successful vehicle with regard to sales. But I will always take good press over bad.

So Toyota sells hundreds of thousands of Camrys per year 'out of habit', while Ford sells hundreds of thousands of Fusions every year because it's a 'good car'?

Gosh, Richard, I coulda swore the Fusion had to make a fairly recent break into the market, being that it's a roughly two-decade newer nameplate than the Camry...

...y'know, just sayin'. I could also throw in that it had to make its name right after a pretty disastrous time for Ford, with the Oval fairly damaged in terms of perception.

SO...habit didn't help it initially, unless you count the people finding out that Ford could do better than the Taurus a decade ago....

SO...habit didn't help it initially, unless you count the people finding out that Ford could do better than the Taurus a decade ago....

So you really do believe that Camry buyers have entirely different motivations for their purchases.

Camry buyers are drones buying out of habit, while Fusion buyers are independent thinkers who are buying cars because they are objectively superior.

I can.

The 2008 Ford Focus.

As others have noted, it debuted just as gas prices were increasing and the economy was starting to implode. Buyers began placing more importance on good gas mileage and a low price just as this Focus debuted. That Focus may not have been the perfect car, but it was the right car at the right time.

Edited by grbeck