Ford dangles $10,000 discounts on redesigned aluminum F-150 pickup

But they don't have any inventory!

How could they be chasing *sales* if they have nothing to sell.

Why would you discount a non-perishable item that is a hot seller? Build more non-XLT's and take in the profits.

Unless the other guy is selling more of his and you feel threatened.

Ford has the "best selling truck 30+ years". How much in incentives is that tag line worth? My guess is we're going to find out.

See, that's what I'm thinking: The Lariat is the new XLT.

Also, have you verified those numbers in the field akirby?

My local Ford dealer shows 145 F150s.

But a cursory glance of the first page shows that 8 of the 15 F150s in inventory haven't been delivered or prepped, and thus aren't on the lot.

the demand is for Lariats....Im grasping at straws...

Unless the other guy is selling more of his and you feel threatened.

But there's nothing more to sell!

Just went through three pages of F150 inventory at the local Ford dealer. 21 of 45 trucks shown in inventory aren't on the lot.

And Ford is, at the halfway point of the year, 81k units ahead of Chevrolet. Chevy would have to outsell Ford by over 13,500 units per month every month for the rest of the year to top Ford. That's not going to happen. Heck, I don't think GM has the capacity to make that happen.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1507_2015_truck_sales_ford_f_series_leads_chevrolet_silverado_by_81k_units.html

Edited by RichardJensen

Thanks Rich, you just confirmed what I have been ATTEMPTING to tell the people that think theirs 77000 F-150s sitting on lots...because that's what cars.com states....hell, my inventory says I have almost twice the amount I ACTUALLY have,,,,,

• Like 1

But there's nothing more to sell!

Then there is absolutely no reason to throw extra incentives on it.

Every 4 days, I have to fill my go-to-work car up with gas. I have to pass a busy U-Haul store. The white E-150's have been replaced with shiny new Transits. The white F-150's have been replaced with shiny new GMC's.

Edited by Pioneer

Pioneer...there's that BAD fleet Im talking about...U-Haul does nothing more than spend as little as they can on their vehicles...just like a rental company....oh wait...the fact they have Transits just means there's no competition. Also....work trucks in the new F-150 are basically non existent...I have a regular cab F-150 that has been on order since January 16th...yes...JANUARY...doesn't even have a vin number yet...only work trucks that have come through our lot have been for Fleet companies such as Enterprise Leasing...there's a conspiracy theory in there somewhere I swear...I really don't know whats going on, but the trucks release is but one that's been a complete and utter shambles...Transits are another...and the Mustang wasn't too wonderful either...oh, and the Edge....don't start me on Flex availability...basically ZERO.

Edited by Deanh

The majority of them had local videos and pics so I assumed they were actually on the lot. Some may have been in transit but whether it's 75 or 85 or 100 it's still a reasonable inventory.

That's the metric I'm using w/SF Ford. If there's a pic, it's on the lot.

However, I wouldn't call it reasonable inventory without some feedback from the dealership. I don't know if ~80 F150s is 'reasonable inventory' for Sioux Falls Ford, but I have a strong sense that it is not.

Two dealerships near me (actually, the same parent dealer) have a total of 270 between the two of them. Spot checking looks like about 80% +/- are actually in stock (judging by pics). Compare that to 110 Super Duty trucks. Seems to be pretty well stocked with '15 F150's here. Of course, we're only 2 hours from KCAP.

It's enough to support a very modest sales uptick, if that was the purpose of the additional rebates and advertising.

If they only had 10 or 20 then I would say no.

In theory, yes.

But at the same time, if those numbers were barely adequate to keep pace with June volumes (that is, sales were supply constrained), then it's difficult to fathom how these inventory numbers could support *higher* volumes.

ok, I wont go postal..but the rail car problems we were notified of cant be completely responsible for the huge discrepancies.....wonder what the REAL excuse is....after all, its not like theres no market here....

Ford saw 'San Andreas.' They don't want their precious trucks trapped in Cali when that happens! :)

• Like 2