Ford dangles $10,000 discounts on redesigned aluminum F-150 pickup

I don't get it. Here I was thinking Ford had tighter margins on the new F-150 than Chevy has on the Silverado (and FCA on the Ram for that matter). Seems to be a good supply of new F-150's around here, and there's money on the hood (just like everyone else).

Edited by 7Mary3

My brother who works at a dealership in Ottawa, Ontario Canada echo's Deanh comments, they cannot get any F150 inventory. Which is the bulk of his stores business.

Ontario Canada , over $10,000 discount

2015 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab, 6-1/2' Box, 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Engine, 6-Speed Automatic Electronic Transmission w/Tow/Haul Mode, 4X4, 3.55 Non-Limited Slip Axle Ratio

2015 FORD F-150

Pricing Details
  • MSRP 22
    $42,599
  • Total of Options
    $0
  • Total Fees
    $1,800
  • Ford Employee Pricing Adjustment83
    -$4,894
  • Delivery Allowance 29
    $5,500
  • Available Incentives 32
    $0
  • NET PRICE 33
    $34,005

Is that price Canadian? If so I'm driving across the boarder and buying everyone. That works out to $26,242 at todays exchange rate! And I get Zplan, so there are additional rebates on top of the employee price that everyone gets!

Edited by jasonj80

Another thing to consider...maybe they are trying to clear out 2015 MY F-150s since the 2016 production starts in the next 90-120 days?

I got my 2013 in August of that year. The 2014s were about to (or had) come in, so the discounts were pretty good, iirc.

Since I'm usually a long-term type of owner, I didn't mind getting "last year's" model.

silvr....?....theres nothing to clear out....at least in our district...and numbers since introduction have been mind-blowingly low.....doesn't help when theres been rail car issues as well...but even then...that doesn't effect unit counts, which have been low from the get go.

I really can't think of a reason to offer incentives like this if supplies are still somewhat tight.

Perhaps they saw July trending bad vs. the competition for the first half of the month and are trying to make up lost ground regardless of the cost in hopes things will be better supplied next month.

But even that doesn't make sense because if they fire sale them this month they are just going to run down inventory they can't waste putting them in the same predicament next month.

The rational thought would be that they hold out on pricing until inventories are better. Maybe the issue isn't supply related.

I also think its foolish because it will set a mental precedent to potential buyers....the "Ill just wait till the incentives get huge again"...crowd

I agree, it is also the way Ford does fake incentives, it makes a person think they are getting a deal when they really are not. "Option Package Discount", It isn't a rebate, it isn't anything and there is really no way to verify if it really is anything because you can't get the options as stand alone. It is a made up number they pull from their @ss. The Escape (I picked the escape because it is easy) has $240 option savings rebate on the $1735 option package. Where Toyota would go the option package is $1495, Honda would say its the next model for $1495 more, Ford goes its $1735 but you get a $240 off. Also where do they get the $240 savings from as you can't get BILS, HIDs, Rain Sensing Wipers, and Park Assist any other way! It a dumb shell game and makes things look more expensive on the internet when people do research but you get this deal but that's not on till the next page. I understand it, but I can see how people get confused or think they are being screwed over by a dealer when they are not because of the way Ford has it done, oh this rebate you apply sales tax before on the purchase but over here that total comes off pretax.

On another note what happened to Alan's push for simple ordering, the amount of stand alone options is getting crazy again. Talk about never being able to trade or find a car a customer; that has to be a PITA for Dealers.

Full size LD pickup trucks in the U.S. market are essentially commodities. For most customers, Ford, General Motors, and FCA all offer configurations for F-150, Silverado/Sierra, and Ram 1500 respectively that will meet all of their functional requirements. Other than the diesel engine on Ram 1500 (and even that's a maybe), there aren't any features offered on one that clearly distinguish it from the other two in terms of overall capability.

Since all three products are quite competent, price is the primary motivating factor to choose one make over another. I'm glad to see Ford step up its efforts to increase F-150's appeal.

I really can't think of a reason to offer incentives like this if supplies are still somewhat tight.

Simple: They overbuilt XLTs. You don't need to read too far into this.

There's bupkis for inventory in the LA area, but Ford is still offering this discount there. $3k for F150s with the XLT chrome package and a pile of 'everybody gets this' incentives.

If you want any old Ford, you're only going to get about $3-4k off, which isn't even 10% on most configurations

Edited by RichardJensen

They do this every year and I don't see what the big deal is.

In the $9400 example, it is only for on particular model, 2.7L Luxury pkg XLT supercab - good luck finding one. And only if you qualify for Ford credit.

It also includes the $2k Luxury Pkg Discount. Dealers love to include this to make it sound like you are getting money off, but this is not an incentive. This is the EQUIPMENT GROUP DISCOUNT that is part of MSRP when you build and price. So at best you are $7400 off here on this single model.

Final order date is in 2 weeks and if I was ordering a truck I would want more than $7400 off a $47k truck.

Another thing to consider...maybe they are trying to clear out 2015 MY F-150s since the 2016 production starts in the next 90-120 days?

True.

Bloggers are writing about the F-150 getting discounted "already."

But the order banks opened a year ago.....

2015 F-150 Order & Start-up Dates!!!

Order Date: 7/16/14

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-f-150/496786-2015-f-150-order-start-up-dates.html

2016 Order banks open on 8/1, 2 weeks.

If the 2015 F-150 never got discounted all we would hear about is how they are overpriced.

The incentives are still on the low side unless you are buying an XLT SuperCab with the 2.7L and the luxury package - then it's about average. $7k off.

Ford Canada's discounting is not limited to XLT spec. Yes I know this is a USA forum, but just throwing it out there.

Canada is F series crazy where Ford Canada's sales balance is 4 F series sold to 1 car, so its not like Canucks don't like there Ford trucks.

EG- 2015 Ford F-150 King Ranch

• MSRP 22
    $64,999
  • Total of Options
    $0
  • Total Fees
    $1,800
  • Ford Employee Pricing Adjustment83
    -$8,030
  • Delivery Allowance 29
    $4,000
Edited by MKII

Ford Canada's discounting is not limited to XLT spec. Yes I know this is a USA forum, but just throwing it out there.

Canada is F series crazy where Ford Canada's sales balance is 4 F series sold to 1 car, so its not like Canucks don't like there Ford trucks.

Cars/trucks are more expensive in Canada vs the US, without factoring in exchange rates

I looked at the Ford site for my area and the discounts are just over 10K for this package they are trying to get..I also live in a rural (well as rural as you can get in the Northeastern US) that is economically depressed also.

I also built a truck and there are 100+ XLTs in PA/DE/MD going by the Ford site. Also the biggest discount I saw just from the Ford site was about $3500...I'm wondering if people are going to be truly able to get the 10K off.

Bait and switch, folks.

Ad: Check out these awesome deals on SuperCab XLT F150's with the super fuel efficient 2.7L EcoBoost!

Customer: Sales person, I'm looking for the deal I saw on TV

Sales Person: I'm sorry, we are fresh out of those. We just sold our last one 2 hours ago. However, we do have this nice SuperCrew over here. Or, if you prefer to stick with the SuperCab, we have a Lariat version. Look at that nice leather!

Customer: Well, I want to stick with XLT, so I'll take the SuperCrew out for a spin.

Sales Person: Well, what'd ya think?

Customer: It's awesome! I will take it!

Or, as RJ pointed out, they may have just mis-predicted the product mix and built too many XLT's.

You can't build too many XLT's.

To many XLT's in inventory? Adjust your part allocation and build more higher end models or stripper work trucks.

This is about market share and sales crowns. The fact that the dealer inventory hasn't been refreshed and the days sitting on lot is low prove it.

Edited by Pioneer
  • Like 1

You can't build too many XLT's.

To many XLT's in inventory? Adjust your part allocation and build more higher end models or stripper work trucks.

That was my (unscientific) thought as well. Even if there were "too many" XLTs...that would actually help the current supply situation. They could adjust and build more of the other trims to help fill out inventory. You don't just discount them, especially if they are selling fine without incentives.

I have no clue if it is about market share or sales crowns, but when supplies are this tight, I don't see it about having too many of a certain trim. I could understand if these were sitting on the lots unsold....but as you noted, they aren't.

I certainly won't try and guess why they are doing this. But for being only one trim level (and not everything), it seems to be making more bad press than good.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I think Pioneer is right - they're just trying to get a little sales bump to counter the Silvererras.

But they don't have any inventory!

How could they be chasing *sales* if they have nothing to sell.

Dean's scenario is a fantastic example: He's got no inventory to sell. But Ford is still running a $7k discount in his area. And nobody can get it, because there aren't any trucks to buy.

It's really not even a bait-and-switch, because there are hardly any trucks in stock to switch people into.

My local large dealer has 100 F150s in stock, give or take. My small town dealer has 30-40 - I've seen them personally. Not huge numbers for F150, but enough to support a small sales bump. It would also bump up special orders of SC XLTs which would be delivered in 6-8 weeks.

There is no other reason to increase incentives other than to increase sales somehow.

still scratching my heads and only one thing makes sense to me....perhaps in their initial build they jumped to the conclusion the meat of the market was a certain model....now its been a few months PERHAPS after watching what IS moving they realize they may have made a mistake and want to push out potentially slower selling models...and I must say....at least here, the demand is for Lariats....Im grasping at straws...and a tad pi$$ed off when akirby mentions his local has 100 units...Im thinking So Cal got the short straw when it came to allocation.

• Like 1