2016 Chinese market Taurus up close

I'm assuming it was a translated article? They seemed astonished that you can control the temperature from both the screen and buttons.

I guess so? But hey people in NA bitched about the lack of hard buttons to control the AC/heat on the previous cars.

Love this comment...

"Even more interestingly, said CD player is clearly marked as a Sony, as if Ford wants to show off with the troubled Japanese brand. "

Hehe, their adoration for the Japanese is quite apparent.

My only gripe other than the less exotic and aggresive front end, is once again the bottom fascia air-intake is off centered. Not sure why the designers continue to do this, reminds me of the wart that the 90's Eclipse had on the hood which thru everything off.

I guess so? But hey people in NA bitched about the lack of hard buttons to control the AC/heat on the previous cars.

I was just saying because some of the sentences seemed awkward fragments, not that it matters that much.

Now they complain that the buttons don't match (though I do admit, having some black buttons that are glossy with some matte black is a bit odd). The white and chrome ones are fine.

My only gripe other than the less exotic and aggresive front end, is once again the bottom fascia air-intake is off centered. Not sure why the designers continue to do this, reminds me of the wart that the 90's Eclipse had on the hood which thru everything off.

I'm assuming it has to do with the sensor that controls the adaptive cruise control and accident mitigation system the car might have?

That whole A/C faceplate has been pretty lack luster in the past few vehicles that come out. At least its all prettyly laid out, but just like advertising brochures, if you have huge expanses of unused space, then its a waste. You can make up for it by having larger buttons to make up for the wasted space. I'm over the buttons personally, give me another touch screen at this point.

looks like a Fusion MCE to me, just in a somewhat larger scale...and isn't the Fusion itself due?...in which case US styling had better be a step up and differ more than just a larger Fusion....

Well it is basically just a larger Fusion...and I think the major difference between the two will be that you'll be able to get a V6 in it vs just I4's in the Fusion....if it comes here.

The interior has the gear selector, centre and steering wheel as the one seen testing in the US earlier last year. Either it was the China only model or we'll see similar here. It makes sense to launch a new Taurus in China first if that is where the market is compared to Full-size here in NA.

Since when?

Since about 2002, but 2016 Maxima grew an inche longer (but Altima is due for update in 2017 so it could regain the lead in length). There is basically no functional difference in size between Altima and Maxima... the relationship between these two models is similar to VW Passat vs. CC or Mercedes E-class vs. CLS... Maxiam is the "4 door coupe" version of Altima.

Maxima is not a full size sedan like Taurus or La Crosse (or Avalon, Impala, Charger etc). Fusion and 2016 Taurus have meaningful difference in size - different wheelbase, half a foot difference in length, etc.

Previous gen

2007-13 Altima L 190.7" x W 70.7" x H 58" Wheelbase 109.3"

2008-14 Maxima L 190.6" x W 73.2" x H 57.8" Wheelbase 109.3"

Current gen

2014 Altima L 191.3" x W 72" x H 57.9" Wheelbase 109.3"

2016 Maxima L 192.8" x W 73.2" x H 56.5" Wheelbase 109.3"

vs. Ford

2015 Fusion (US spec) L 190.6" x W 72.2" x H 56.9" Wheelbase 107.4" L 191.7" x W 72.9" x H 58.1" Wheelbase 112.2"

2016 Taurus (Chinese spec) L 196.8" Wheelbase 116.1"

Edited by bzcat

I think it's laughable the article criticizes the proximity of the parking brake to the gear selector when likely it has been well thought out to not engage unless the vehicleis in park and a foot on the brake.

The styling is very bland compared to the current US Taurus. I hope the next US Taurus looks better than this. I am geting tired of the One Ford look.

That whole A/C faceplate has been pretty lack luster in the past few vehicles that come out. At least its all prettyly laid out, but just like advertising brochures, if you have huge expanses of unused space, then its a waste. You can make up for it by having larger buttons to make up for the wasted space. I'm over the buttons personally, give me another touch screen at this point.

They could have make the buttons different sizes and different style switches along with the pic-to-gram for the foot/panel/defrost. I really think this hurts the look of the new Edge/Explorer and I would assume MCE Fusion.

The styling is very bland compared to the current US Taurus. I hope the next US Taurus looks better than this. I am geting tired of the One Ford look.

The Chinese/Asian markets have had slightly tweaked styling vs the ROW in other Ford products also. It also doesn't help that the car is silver too. Nothing a slightly tweeked facia couldn't fix.

I thought the new Edge was pretty bland at first (till I saw in person) and lots of people thought the 2015 Mustang looked like a Honda Accord in photos, but in person it looks completely different. The additional sculpting on it doesn't show up too well in photos.

The Chinese/Asian markets have had slightly tweaked styling vs the ROW in other Ford products also. It also doesn't help that the car is silver too. Nothing a slightly tweeked facia couldn't fix.

I thought the new Edge was pretty bland at first (till I saw in person) and lots of people thought the 2015 Mustang looked like a Honda Accord in photos, but in person it looks completely different. The additional sculpting on it doesn't show up too well in photos.

i am already tired of seeing the new Edge (I see them all of the time). I love the tail lights.. But thats about it. The new Explorer grill is starting to grow on me. But the wanna be mustang rear bumper cover is disgusting. Who is the crack head designer doing these? Isnt he from Toyota or somewhere else?

P.S. Anyone else see the new Continental in the top front 3/4 shot?

Edited by wildosvt