General Motors launches a new anti-aluminum campaign targeting the F-150

According to latest sales figures, Chevy Silverado is gaining on F150. Here in CT, I've seen more new Chevies than F150's. I've seen a hundred new Transits and only 2 F150's. Something is terribly wrong.

Silverado is also in its second year. F-150 isn't even a year old yet

Nothing terribly unusual here

According to latest sales figures, Chevy Silverado is gaining on F150. Here in CT, I've seen more new Chevies than F150's. I've seen a hundred new Transits and only 2 F150's. Something is terribly wrong.

Plus Chevy has gone back to heavy discounts to prop up their sales. Ford hasn't had to do that with the new F150, yet.

Brand loyalty across the US is not uniform, so if you're seeing more Silverados in your area,

chances are that dealers have been working hard attracting byers with incentives and leases,

something Ford doesn't need to do with the new F150 until dealer volumes build up.

Heard a Chevy truck add on the radio yesterday. It made a claim that "while some manufacturers are making their truck FRAMES out of aluminum, Chevys are made of high strength American steel!"

Since we all know the F150 most definitely has a steel frame, I wonder what truck GM is talking about in that add. There must be something out there with an aluminum frame bracket or something. As it is I think Ford almost has a case against them for false advertising since the F150s frame is steel.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I'm seeing new F150s everywhere here. Even in my little small town, where you don't normally see new vehicles for a year or so.

Same here.

Of course, unlike the Fords, the "new" Chebbies look so much like the "old" Chebbies it's hard to tell how many are "new" Chebbies.

Same here.

Of course, unlike the Fords, the "new" Chebbies look so much like the "old" Chebbies it's hard to tell how many are "new" Chebbies.

Funny you say that. I was driving with someone the other day and mentioned how when driving on the road I can hardly tell the new F-150 from the old. It took me actually seeing the tailgate trim plate to figure it out (I was next to it and could not see the front).

Funny you say that. I was driving with someone the other day and mentioned how when driving on the road I can hardly tell the new F-150 from the old. It took me actually seeing the tailgate trim plate to figure it out (I was next to it and could not see the front).

Well, in fairness, there really isn't that much you can change on the rear end to make it look completely different.

Actually, I can spot the new F150 instantly, no matter the angle. Of course, I'm a certified Ford truck nut, so that helps. :)

• Like 1

Finally an article that know what it's talking about.. they must be reading the comments here..

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/07/13/is-gm-getting-desperate-with-its-new-ford-bashing.aspx?source=eogyholnk0000001

But here's the thing: GM -- and its dealers -- know that the game is about to change in a big way.

Why GM's dealers are worried about Ford now
Ford hasn't been losing ground in the sales war because its new truck is a loser. It has been losing ground because of supply issues. In order to manufacture the new aluminum-bodied F-150, Ford had to make extensive changes at its two pickup factories.

The F-Series is America's best-selling vehicle line. Normally, both of those factories run around the clock to keep up with demand. But each needed to be shut down for 12 weeksin order to install and test the new tooling needed to make the new trucks.

The upshot is that Ford has had tight supplies of pickups for months. As a result, it has been prioritizing retail sales, allowing GM room to steal some of Ford's lucrative commercial-fleet business.

But now both factories are up and running at full speed. In just a few more weeks, Ford's dealers will have full inventories -- and Ford will get serious about retaking the ground it has lost to GM.

Well, in fairness, there really isn't that much you can change on the rear end to make it look completely different.

No, I didn't know from the side of the truck if it was the new one or not, I had to wait to see the tailgate and that mongo Platinum applique to figure out it was the new gen and not the old one.

No, I didn't know from the side of the truck if it was the new one or not, I had to wait to see the tailgate and that mongo Platinum applique to figure out it was the new gen and not the old one.

The side view (in person) looks totally different to me. The 2015 looks more like a Ram to me for some reason. Can't really explain it.

Ah, I see. Can't help you there, then! I don't have that issue! :P

I would like to see Ford get more aggressive with their marketing. Not saying a direct competitor attack, but more real world commercials instead of the cartoonish ones. For example, a cool commercial would be an F150 pulling a huge fifth wheel up a steep mountain passing "slower" traffic. In the same commercial, show the same truck unloaded getting the "V6" mileage they tout. Men are visual creatures. We like to see what we are purchasing in action. They brag about towing and fuel mileage, so put it on a real commercial. They have the towing video's showing them killing the competition. Why not spin that into a real life commercial? Bragging about the aluminum without bashing steel would be a main point- lighter weight allows higher tow ratings, better acceleration, etc. From my perspective, GM and RAM are throwing the kitchen sink at F series sales right now while Ford is down. I just hope Ford truly does recover and keeps their crown.

...an F150 pulling a huge fifth wheel up a steep mountain passing "slower" traffic.

As long as they don't do what GM did and show one of their trucks pulling a load of tin horns. It looks impressive 'til you realize that the trailer weighs more than the load and that my F150 could pull it just fine.