IIHS Crashed 2nd F150 Bodystyle

I'm guessing the additional bars are there due to the added weight of the SuperCrew over the other models.

I would hope so, if not the bad PR that something like this brings is far worse than the cost to put them on all the vehicles. It wouldn't be the first time that the IIHS system is being played. When they did the bumper tests years ago GM put a small piece of Styrofoam in the center of the rear bumper so it would not have the damage when the rear center pole test was done, IIHS saw this and changed the test to be offset to the side. Also some manufactures just beefed up the driver-side of the structure in this small overlap test because they knew that was the side of the test so now some vehicles will be tested on the passenger side as well.

• Like 1

I would hope so, if not the bad PR that something like this brings is far worse than the cost to put them on all the vehicles. It wouldn't be the first time that the IIHS system is being played. When they did the bumper tests years ago GM put a small piece of Styrofoam in the center of the rear bumper so it would not have the damage when the rear center pole test was done, IIHS saw this and changed the test to be offset to the side. Also some manufactures just beefed up the driver-side of the structure in this small overlap test because they knew that was the side of the test so now some vehicles will be tested on the passenger side as well.

Since when has this type of "bad PR" actually shown any effect on sales?

Since when has this type of "bad PR" actually shown any effect on sales?

Well being that the old Big 3 had about 70%+ market share up until the mid 90's, it is little things like this that contribute to it declining. But on the other side I also don't think Ford takes this test so seriously as no vehicle it builds has a good rating in the small offset test and vehicles with poor ratings were never updated. I've said in the past that Ford's internal focus groups don't see things like this test or collision mitigation / auto braking technology as important with its buyers that IIHS places a big "+" on, Ford should know better. Look at the Escape it faired poor in the small overlap, has no mitigation technology yet they sell everyone they can and at one of the highest ATP's in the segment. Ford as auto companies in general don't really care what insurance or long term injury rate costs are for their cars. How many times has someone not bought X car but bought Y car after they got an insurance quote before they bought? How many people even call on an insurance rate before they buy?

I'm waiting to see exactly what all the tests show. I can buy into the you need a blocker bar on heavier trucks because it needs to absorb more weight in the crash so you beef up the crash management to handle that. A 4x4 Crew cab truck is 700+lbs heavier than a reg cab 4x2. Moving at 40MPH that 700lbs is a lot more difficult to manage in an accident.