2009 MKZ Starter Issues?

johnjyi

Good afternoon,

So, I have this odd problem with my 2009 MKZ's tipstart. Occasionally, it would start to crank but not turn over. It would crank for the 10 seconds and cut off...as it's supposed to do I guess. However, it's embarrassing as crud when others see a relatively new Lincoln doing this.

I've taken it to the dealer service department a couple of times, but they can't figure it out. This symptom doesn't seem to throw any codes, either.

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

I don't see anything definitive over on the fusion forum, but I do remember a similar problem that occurs when the engine stops in a particular location relative to the crankshaft position sensor that creates a timing mismatch (or something to that effect).

• 4 weeks later...

Grrr. Left the MKZ with the service dept for almost a week so they could try to get it to act up. Never did...so nothing they can do for me. No codes, no symptoms, no TSBs, no nothing.

How often does it happen? Does it do it after is sits a while or is it random?

How often does it happen? Does it do it after is sits a while or is it random?

I alternate vehicles for my commute every two weeks or so. This happens when I've been driving the MKZ for several days. For example: I've drive it to work for a few days. I drive it to work another day in the morning. Around lunch time or after work, I get to the car and turn the key, it happens. After 10 seconds, it stops. I let it sit a few seconds and turn the key again. It fires right up. Possibly fuel pressure going down? The problem is it doesn't happen with any frequency...more randomly.

It sounds like fuel pressure leak down. The only real diagnostics you can do without any kind of tools would be to cycle the key from off to run 2 or 3 times, leaving it on for 3 secs between cycles, before you go to crank it and see if the problem doesn't reoccur. This primes the fuel pump again.

But wouldn't such issues related to the fuel supply be detected via OBD? If there is an issue with the pressure, shouldn't his be more of a concern?

Already suggested possibly fuel related but was told problem not noted.

Not necessarily. It may not happen long enough or frequent enough to be logged as a fault. If they can't duplicate it, they aren't positive it's fuel related or not. Only other option is they can send you with a flight recorder and when it happens you press the button to record the event.