When did F150 get so pricey?

I was playing around at Ford's website. A reg cab, 2wd, V6 xlt trim F150 starts at $32k. Add an optional engine, trailer hitch, and a few other options and you're staring $35k in the face. Am I the only one who thinks this is completely out of line? I mean it's got no options other than the chrome bumpers, carpet and power door locks that come with the xlt trim. The XL starts at $24k. There's no way carpet, chrome, and power locks cost $8000.

My suspicion is that the aluminum really jacked Ford's cost up. I mean think about it. As a raw material, aluminum costs 10x what steel does and the aluminum body panels need to be thicker than the steel ones which means more material per truck. There is enough margin in the popular four door 4x4 models to cover it. Ford is probably taking a loss on the XLs just to remain competitive in the important fleet market. The low option XLTs is where the extra cost associated with aluminum really shows up though.

Thoughts?

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

I was playing around at Ford's website. A reg cab, 2wd, V6 xlt trim F150 starts at $32k. Add an optional engine, trailer hitch, and a few other options and you're staring $35k in the face. Am I the only one who thinks this is completely out of line? I mean it's got no options other than the chrome bumpers, carpet and power door locks that come with the xlt trim. The XL starts at $24k. There's no way carpet, chrome, and power locks cost $8000.

My suspicion is that the aluminum really jacked Ford's cost up. I mean think about it. As a raw material, aluminum costs 10x what steel does and the aluminum body panels need to be thicker than the steel ones which means more material per truck. There is enough margin in the popular four door 4x4 models to cover it. Ford is probably taking a loss on the XLs just to remain competitive in the important fleet market. The low option XLTs is where the extra cost associated with aluminum really shows up though.

Thoughts?

The latest '15 F150 has increased prices by roughly $3,200, average transaction prices have been steadily climbing for years.

At the moment, I believe F150's ATP is around $37K.... We're now in the era of Ford selling a $61,000 Platinum F150,

not that buyers are balking at those prices, F150 is in high demand as all '14s are basically gone and inventory

is very tight, people will be paying retail but maybe seeing some incentives on XLT and above versions.

Price a Chevy and a Dodge with comparable equipment.

Exactly, this isn't Ford price gouging customers, all half ton trucks are getting more expensive.

so nothing should surprise when it comes to prices.

Edited by jpd80

Another factor having an impact on 2015 F-150 pricing is that many of the versions have had their standard engines downgraded as a result of the weight reductions with the new aluminum bodies. As such, the upgrade costs to comparable engines offered with the 2014MY vehicles has gone up.

My perspectives on high cost:

1. All F150s are made in the United States at UAW facilities (All transmissions are US built, all rear axles are US built, all the V6 engines are US built, and the V8 is Canadian built). The US is not the most expensive workforce in the world (sorry Canada), but it's not Mexico (which GM does use for trucks/engines, and I believe the Hemi engine/Ram trucks do as well). Gives them more leeway in discounting since the margin is higher (no negativity towards Mexico, great products are made there; the worker's standard of living is not the best though) The F150 employs probably more Americans than the main competition combined, which is a great thing (but won't see that on ABC news)

2. Technology. The new F150 is a feat of engineering from a cost perspective. All engines are are DOHC, with two Ecoboost options (none of which are cheaper than what the competition offers. The Chevy small block family of engines hands down is the most cost competitive in industry, the Hemi a little more pricey, but not more than Ecoboost).

3. Aluminum. All the competition has had the option of refreshing prior model year's stamping and body lines. Ford went all in and all new. A lot of investment that needs to be paid back considering two plants were retooled. Material cost is no mystery either.

• Like 1

Another factor having an impact on 2015 F-150 pricing is that many of the versions have had their standard engines downgraded as a result of the weight reductions with the new aluminum bodies. As such, the upgrade costs to comparable engines offered with the 2014MY vehicles has gone up.

Sort of,

Not much difference in XL and XLT but the '14 Lariat had 5.0 standard, now '15 has 2.7 EB as std but 5.0 is $800 delete option

Link to configurators...2014 & 2015

Ford charges more because buyer will pay more, higher average transaction prices are proof positive of this.

GM and Ram have a harder time getting full sticker for their trucks, that's their issue not Ford's.

If you think the F150 is bad.. just wait till the pricing comes out for the 17 Superduty.

My brother in law was looking at a 2015 XLT F250 to replace his 2008 XLT. For about the same options (he did have a manual tranny and single cab compared to the supercab he was pricing) was about $10,000 more. That's a crazy price to pay IMO over 7 years.

But then again my 07 Harley 6.0 was $43k and my 15 platinum was $63k.. so a $20k increase in 8 years is CRAZY!!! But yet I still paid it.

Prices on trucks is getting ridiculous and there will be a point where they are pricing them to where customers stop buying.

Edited by blwnsmoke

I agree the prices will give sticker shock. However, my father just took delivery of a 15 F150 platiumn and although sticker was $62k. He said that this is the best vehicle he has owned as far as quiet ride, power and cool gadgets. He said in his opinion he thinks Ford hit a home run with it. He feels for the money, you get a lot. I've said for years there is not much under $30k I want to drive.

Its even worth if your shopping for a BMW, I've been looking at a few models and it's laughable at what you get in terms of "toys" for a base car. Start adding packages, and your vehicle is already pushing $82K, and gotta remind yourself, "It starts at 48K". And thats going to be on just about every vehicle. Same with Tesla...starts at $69, but the one i like is $109K.

But people are willing to pay for it. Ford has been very active with technology and it's paid off well. And car notes I read on another article are now averaging about 67-68 months. But people are keeping their cars a bit longer too, i think i read one article it stated the new average is 8 years.

People are lining up for '15 F150 and prepared to pay full retail, that for me is the true measure of buyers

getting products they want and recognizing that quality and features come at a price.

Alloy body F250 and Expedition are future products that could see substantial increases in sales

as buyers rediscover Ford's GD truck and Big Utility...... well i can dream anyway..:)

As someone who uses a pickup as a hauling vehicle, I have been priced out of the market for a new pickup. Given the transaction prices and the huge depreciation on pickups used on trucks, the numbers just do not work anymore.The "lifestyle" and "gotta have the bling" crowds will pay the ever increasing prices. New pickups are in the premium luxury price range now.

• Like 2

As someone who uses a pickup as a hauling vehicle, I have been priced out of the market for a new pickup. Given the transaction prices and the huge depreciation on pickups used on trucks, the numbers just do not work anymore.The "lifestyle" and "gotta have the bling" crowds will pay the ever increasing prices. New pickups are in the premium luxury price range now.

It's sad, isn't it? Then again I'd never consider using a new (or even newer) truck for real hauling duties because the risk of scrapes and bruises is too high. If I miss a 20' toss of a piece of firewood and put a new scratch in the paint, I shrug and toss the next piece if it's my 95 complete with its tractor paint finish that I sprayed in my shed. Do the same thing to a new truck with a shiny paint job that's still worth $$$$$ and spend the rest of the day crying about it.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

It's sad, isn't it? Then again I'd never consider using a new (or even newer) truck for real hauling duties because the risk of scrapes and bruises is too high. If I miss a 20' toss of a piece of firewood and put a new scratch in the paint, I shrug and toss the next piece if it's my 95 complete with its tractor paint finish that I sprayed in my shed. Do the same thing to a new truck with a shiny paint job that's still worth $$$$$ and spend the rest of the day crying about it.

Most people don't buy $50k trucks to haul firewood.

What other vehicle can you get that can drag 11k lbs around, yet still looks good enough to take out for a night on the town? Not to mention, still gets respectable fuel economy for the commute to work? It's a multi-purpose vehicle.

I intend to buy a new F250 in 2-3 years, and it's going to be a Lariat. It will have plenty of real hauling duties dragging our fifth wheel around. I will haul firewood to the campsite, but I will be rather careful loading it...through the open tailgate.

Depreciation?

Just a quick look at 2010 F-150s in my area range from $22-31K...thats roughly half of what they where worth brand new and a nice chunk of change to put down on a new one that might go for 40-60K. The Used car market is no longer "cheap" any more because of Cash for Clunkers and everyone not flooding the market with cars or trucks like they did 15-20 years ago.

Most people don't buy $50k trucks to haul firewood.

What other vehicle can you get that can drag 11k lbs around, yet still looks good enough to take out for a night on the town? Not to mention, still gets respectable fuel economy for the commute to work? It's a multi-purpose vehicle.

I intend to buy a new F250 in 2-3 years, and it's going to be a Lariat. It will have plenty of real hauling duties dragging our fifth wheel around. I will haul firewood to the campsite, but I will be rather careful loading it...through the open tailgate.

Another factor is vehicles are increasingly becoming commodities. Several configurations of F150 alone cost more and hold value nearly as much as poor area real estate. Banks notice this in which why you now see 8-10 year finance loans.

Is the F150 significantly higher than comparably equipped GM, Ram, Tundra, or Titan trucks? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

Starting price: (Regular cab, 4X2, base package)

Ram: $26,105

Silverado:$27,365

Tundra: $29,610

Titan (does not offer regular cab):$29,640

F-150: $25,800

Top of the line: (crew cab, 4X4, top trim level)

Ram: $53,930

Silverado: $52,735

Tundra: $44,435

Titan: $44,955

F-150: $54,775

So the F-150 is the cheapest and the most expensive...

Yes, depreciation. You load with skidsteers, skip loaders and such the bed and tailgate take a beating. You drive in mud and muck and the undercarriage gets awful scuffed up, You drive through the woods, the paint gets scratched from underbrush. I have been using pickups like this for over 40 years and believe me, there is depreciation. Again, mine are not "go for a night out" pickups that never see anything but the occasional bag of mulch. Might just be me and the crowd I associate with, but new fullsize pickups may be capable, but they are just too pricey.