Ford May Sell Luxury Brands to Former Chief Jacques Nasser

I agree, but where would Nasser have the billions of dollars to buy these brands?

Nasser is lead partner in a Chase Bank investment group. It's not his money (just like it wasn't his money last time around).

Fixing Jaguar and re-selling it (which is what the Chase Group would do), is as simple as launching the new S-Type, killing the XType and closing Halewood. Sure a second coupe would be nice (and an interesting counterpoint to the "BUILD CROSSOVERS" push the rest of the luxury industry's in), but Jaguar will be on fairly sound footing once the XType is gone and the new SType is here.

Nasser is lead partner in a Chase Bank investment group. It's not his money (just like it wasn't his money last time around).

Fixing Jaguar and re-selling it (which is what the Chase Group would do), is as simple as launching the new S-Type, killing the XType and closing Halewood. Sure a second coupe would be nice (and an interesting counterpoint to the "BUILD CROSSOVERS" push the rest of the luxury industry's in), but Jaguar will be on fairly sound footing once the XType is gone and the new SType is here.

That's exactly why I'm not fond of Ford selling these brands right now. Sure there's short-term cash to be had, but for once it looks like Ford is actually making Jaguar what it should have been and the new XK and S-Type (rendering) look gorgeous and should put them back on track. Like you said, kill the X-type, close one of the plants, and then redesign the XJ so it looks ALL-NEW. Land Rover is just hitting their stride, I think they're going to bring in some nice money to Ford over the next few years. I think selling these brands now would be a mistake.

Isn't it funny that the people you kick on the way up are whose asses you have to kiss on the way down!

Who? Nasser or Ford?

As the DetNews article pointed out, Nasser was PD chief pretty much until he took over the CEO spot. It would be very hard to separate Nasser from Ford's ABSOLUTE FAILURE to live up to its Taurus/Explorer potential.

Who? Nasser or Ford?

As the DetNews article pointed out, Nasser was PD chief pretty much until he took over the CEO spot. It would be very hard to separate Nasser from Ford's ABSOLUTE FAILURE to live up to its Taurus/Explorer potential.

Ford should tkae PAG public, and maintain controlling interest, ALa Mazda.

You keep the shared archgtechtures and investments made but gain extra cash, and have PAG float its own debt.

Ford should keep Jag & Land Rover. However they should sell AM. Hopefully they could get 4-6 billion for it. Take that money and roll it into Lincoln, bringing up from Pontiac status, to BMW, MB & Caddy.

Jag could easily back-fill AM with some ultra high performance sports models.

Lincoln: Dust off the tooling for the DEW98, stretch the LS 10" in the front, give it a good restyle. The 427 is a good place to start, (I think it was DEW 98 based). Use the T-Bird platform, with the same 10" stretch for a new Lincoln MK? coupe/ convertible.

Why the stretch? Lets take aserious look at the Duratec 35. It's a solid V-6 and it will fit the DEW 98 with no modifications to the chassis or the engine. So why the 10 " stretch? Well that's about how much longer the platform would have to be to accept a V-12 version of the Duratec 35. We'll call it a Duratec-70. Making a V-12 would only cost about 12.5% the development costs of the D-35 and only about 20% more per unit to build. Lincoln has a heritage in V-12s and these two cars cold exploit that.

Contrary to what others have said, the DEW98 can be made AWD very easily. The major change has to occur at the transmission, (add a torque splitter & front driveshaft), and in the engine, (use a rigid oil pan to mount the front diff with the prop-shaft passing through the pan. Not hard to do, look at the GM trail blazer's shaft. Front suspension remains the same but for provision for driven spindles.

Back to Jag: Everyone knows that a Jag isn't a Jag without a V-12 option. This same Duratec-70 could be used in the Jags just like the V-12 version of the Duratec 30 is used in the AM's. Now lets take it a step further and cut the Duratec-70 down the middle, giving Jag a 3.5 Litre I-6, leaning over at 30deg. Everyone also knows that if the Jag doesn't have a V-12, under the hood, (bonnet), there had better be an I-6.

Can the DEW-98 be stretched and restyled, and the Duratec-70 be made for the sale price of AM? If it can, I say let Nasser have AM, and lets get down to business Ford.

BTW, Bill, I'll provide consulting on how to get this done, free of charge for one year, then you can pay me a profit based bonus.

OK, So the Jag version of this V-12 should be more exotic. I'd say let them be made of Aluminum just like the Lincoln version on all but the ultra high $ performance replacement for the AM. Let that car have a magnesium, cosworth assembled 8 Litre version.

Agreed on the replacement of the X-Type. However the I-6 should be the base engine on the upper models as well.

Edited by Hemiman

I think Jack was misunderstood, since I wasn't with the company when he was around (going on 10 months, but probably not much longer), he was a HUGE experimenter with alternative business plans. Its too bad that the Explorer had that nasty "flip over" problem with the tires, but IMHO the tires were only as good as the spec that was handed to them, systems engineering :doh: ...

Anyway, although he didn't execute his plans with, well, grace, shall I say, and cut entire departments, bought "out of the auto sphere" businesses, and other "strange" purposes, he didn't have the best rep for "helping" Ford.

Just like the financial advisors say, diversification is key. Especially when the fundamental reason for having the business is broken. Its been no secret that Product Development had kings of their own castles going, its been that way LONG before Jack, and he knew it, PD was GREAT post-WWII, and he knew that it had to change, but wasn't going to...