dealer set my truck on fire...

Hi everyone, so a few weeks back my gauges starting going on and off same with my radio pdl and pw so I drop it off late Friday they called me saturday morning saying that it had spontaneously caught fire well the truck is totalled now and I'm having trouble finding a truck of the same value for what they are cashing me out for. Your thoughts on how I should go about this and what they should be doing for me??? Pics attached

post-53381-0-84857500-1429748646_thumb.jpg

post-53381-0-90772200-1429748693_thumb.jpg

Its a 6.4. They don't hold value well at all, so don't expect a whole lot in the way of cash, no matter how you cut it. Be glad that a HPF system failure didn't get it first. We just did an '04 6.0 burn victim (>$6k) that looked worse than that, other than your hood damage. YOUR insurance should be involved, because you said yourself it has had issues for several weeks. It just happened to catch fire at the dealer. Looks to me like it started near the right battery cable area? What started it?

They don't know what started it and those problems weren't gong on for several weeks it was fine when I drove it in to work that day started happening on the way home I took it straight to the dealer. and insurance is covering it and they are giving me decent money for it but I mean I feel like they should be giving me a screaming deal on a new truck or something to compensate me. what more can I do it was acting funny I took it to a dealer they drive it on they're property it catches fire the next day now I'm out my deductible and my truck dealing with a huge month long hassle should I be causing a scene cause I'm owed or do you think the insurance covering it is just

Why should they give you a "screaming deal" just because it happened to catch fire while in their possession? If they did something negligent to cause the fire then maybe, otherwise you're only entitled to the value of the truck. Same as if it had been stolen or you had totaled it.

You guys think trucks spontaneously combust? I drove it in with some instrument cluster issues and they some how set it on fire I just feel like the dealer is the last place your vehicle should ever be damaged is at the dealer and there are precautions that could have been taken

You guys think trucks spontaneously combust?

Every single day. Any type of fluid leak (oil, coolant, fuel) can easily cause a fire as well as electrical shorts. You said the gauges were acting up which points to an electrical problem.

It's certainly possible the dealer caused it, but it's not guaranteed by any means. And regardless of what caused the fire you're still only entitled to the value of the truck.

Its a 6.4. They don't hold value well at all,

Not true. I own one, know what I paid for it, and know what it is worth now. It has held it's value very well, thanks.

You guys think trucks spontaneously combust? I drove it in with some instrument cluster issues and they some how set it on fire I just feel like the dealer is the last place your vehicle should ever be damaged is at the dealer and there are precautions that could have been taken

Dude, things catch fire all the time! How many times have you heard of houses catching fire due to 'electrical issues.' As you mentioned (and akirby pointed out), the issues you were having were pointing to an electrical problem. My guess is that there was a short of some sort, and it caused the fire. With all the fuel and other flammables, I think it's safe to say that it wasn't worse and other vehicles were not involved. Just be thankful it wasn't parked at home in your garage when it caught fire!

If you do some research, I'm pretty sure you will find that dealers are not liable for what happens to your vehicle while parked on their lot.

Can't imagine why they pulled it into the parking lot to work on it? Have you talked to the dealership owner yet? If not that would be my next step. i wouldn't be confrontational........just approach it methodically and businesslike. Tell him you are just trying to understand the circumstances. Ask why the techs had pulled it outside to work on it. And then ask him if he can work with you to give you a good deal on a replacement vehicle.

In my shop we pull vehicles in for the night when customers insist that they be. Then move them out in the morning so we can get in and out of the main shop. We often work on big vehicles outside so as to not stop up the aisles or the lifts. Seems pretty legit to me.