2016 Taurus (China)

Akirby, you're constructing convoluted arguments to support an unconfirmed quote from an insider you know nothing about.

A year ago there was all kinds of talk about Continental and Taurus moving to CD4 and FRAP. Now you don't hear anything about Taurus moving there. And yes I realize this could be UAW negotiation tactics.

They debuted the new Taurus in China with no mention of bringing it to the U.S. so it's pretty safe to say we're not getting that version.

There was a rumor that the new Taurus bombed with NA focus groups.

My source says there is no new Taurus for the U.S.

You say my logic is convoluted but it's not. It's completely logical based on ALL current information. Doesn't guarantee that it's true.

So let's hear your theory since you don't like mine.

• Like 1

Again - it's simply timing. I think Continental and Taurus were developed before CD6 with China as the primary market, not NA. And Lincoln needs something new now to continue the revamp.

Long term they'll all be CD6 I believe including the midsized utilities. And if the CD6 rumors of supporting both FWD and RWD then maybe Continental/Taurus represent the FWD version of CD6.

Why on earth would they make the Continental fwd if the very platform it is built on is capable of being rwd? Taurus too for that matter. It isn't 1987 anymore. Nobody buys a car because it's FWD nowadays. The market accepts that anything smaller than a full size sedan is fwd but I just don't see the point if the platform is capable of either.

Why on earth would they make the Continental fwd if the very platform it is built on is capable of being rwd? Taurus too for that matter. It isn't 1987 anymore. Nobody buys a car because it's FWD nowadays. The market accepts that anything smaller than a full size sedan is fwd but I just don't see the point if the platform is capable of either.

Because when they started the Taurus and Continental projects 3-4 years ago all they had was CD4. I think CD6 is a relatively new platform.

Neither China nor Lincoln can afford to wait 2-3 more years for a CD6 product regardless of whether it's FWD or RWD.

So let's hear your theory since you don't like mine.

You've already asked for it and received it on multiple occasions.

All "current" information includes CD4-based Taurus prototypes running in Detroit confirmed, and Los Angeles (per Hydro).

Feel free to dismiss real-world evidence in favor of whisperings and rumors, I'm not going to stop you.

All "current" information includes CD4-based Taurus prototypes running in Detroit confirmed, and Los Angeles (per Hydro).

Of course there are CD4 Taurus prototypes - they just showed the CD4 production based Taurus in China. That doesn't mean it's being sold here, does it?

Yet you absolutely refuse to discount a single anonymous source who told you something that you cannot possibly verify.

I never said the source was anonymous. I also listed several OTHER factors.

Is it possible we'll get a new cd4 Taurus next year with styling changes? Yes. But that goes against Ford's global vehicle strategy.

It was already widely reported last year that new Taurus and Continental were going to FRAP. It wouldn't make much sense to hide that fact now to use as a bargaining chip.

Because if you're either unwilling to, or you can't confirm, it's anonymous.

And your other inferences are based on other anonymous/unsourced/unverifiable claims of the "Ford is going to build the Concept C" variety.

For pete's sake, Richard. Just because the source is anonymous to YOU doesn't mean they're anonymous to ME and there is no way in hell I'm going to divulge that and you know it.

I've said REPEATEDLY that's just one piece of this puzzle and I listed all of the other evidence that you keep ignoring. And I've also said repeatedly that I could be completely wrong. So let's just wait and see.

Just because the source is anonymous to YOU doesn't mean they're anonymous to ME

If you can't say who it is, then it's anonymous.

If what you have been told can't be verified by anyone else, it's unverifiable.

Your information is anonymous and unverifiable, and I can't take *your* say-so otherwise.

I've said REPEATEDLY that's just one piece of this puzzle and I listed all of the other evidence that you keep ignoring.

There's a difference between *ignoring* such evidence as 'rumors it bombed in focus groups' and 'rumors of production at FRAP that have dried up' and treating them the way they deserve to be treated.

Forget my source completely.

Why would Ford do two different tophats for a CD4 based Taurus when Ford has gone to such great lengths NOT to do that on any other vehicle including all other vehicles being sold in China?

And if they're not doing different tophats then why not introduce the new Taurus as the new global Taurus instead of the Chinese Taurus?

I never said the source was anonymous. I also listed several OTHER factors.

Is it possible we'll get a new cd4 Taurus next year with styling changes? Yes. But that goes against Ford's global vehicle strategy.

It was already widely reported last year that new Taurus and Continental were going to FRAP. It wouldn't make much sense to hide that fact now to use as a bargaining chip.

Eh, I'd argue it's more against Ford's global vehicle strategy to have two separate Taurii sold around the world than your proposition of letting ours sit around for another 2-3 years.

Forget my source completely.

Why would Ford do two different tophats for a CD4 based Taurus when Ford has gone to such great lengths NOT to do that on any other vehicle including all other vehicles being sold in China?

And if they're not doing different tophats then why not introduce the new Taurus as the new global Taurus instead of the Chinese Taurus?

I really think the only thing that makes it the "Chinese Taurus" is the rear seat amenities/controls.

I think body/styling wise, we'll get the same exact Taurus (maybe some minor bumper changes here and there, and trims like SHO), but it just won't have the rear seat controls like the Chinese one. I won't be surprised at all to see it at LA (or whatever the first major US show is).

1 - Because the US model is not going to be exactly like the Chinese model ("Hey, let's launch a production car in China with luxury doo-dads that are not going to be in the US model).

2 - Because Ford has done this in the past--launching the Mondeo separately from the Fusion and the Kuga separately from the Escape.