ford to announce new diesel engines to be built in mexico.

Second, because these CAFE requirements are based on size, every car company actually ends up with a different CAFE requirement, depending on the mix and size of cars and trucks that it actually sells. For every model year, each company must calculate the CAFE requirement for all models it markets and then determine the sales-weighted average for its actual mix. Therefore, a company such as General Motors, with its heavy share of large pickups and SUVs, will have a lower CAFE requirement than Suzuki, which primarily produces smallish cars and SUVs.

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read... No wonder these elected idiots can't balance a budget, when they spend all their time making up these ridiculous formulas and convoluted policies

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read... No wonder these elected idiots can't balance a budget, when they spend all their time making up these ridiculous formulas and convoluted policies

And when you look closely at the formula used, the economy targets for cars are much higher (harder) than those for Trucks and Utilities.

It's no wonder motor companies like Ford are less keen about developing large sedans, the money is probably better sent developing

a larger utility.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

My guess. With that many jobs I am guessing it includes a VO plant of some sort.

New 1.5L I3, 6F variant, 6.7L Expansion, Retool of assy plant for C car production

The staffing levels don't make sense.

Dearborn engine only employs 500 workers, and produces ~ 200,000 engines a year, so 4,000 is a lot of engines or something else.

Chihuahua, was remodels in the early 00 to build ~500,000 Duratec I-4 engines, and the Powerstroke line was added later.

First, find out tomorrow what the exact plans are.

but interesting things are:

1) The area where ford is building a new transmission plant is also home to the current Getrag DCT factory. Like the Detnews article says, Ford maybe buying Getrag out, or subsidizing the Development of a New DCT for North america. Getrag employs 534 workers at it's DCt plant in mexico

2) I am confident in saying Ford maybe producing a Global mid-sized Diesel engine for Trucks, and potentially replace the Lion engines for jaguar.

3) Moving EB 1.5 engine production to mexico, makes sense, it allows greater control over the Mix of low cost 2.5 and its higher cost EB replacement it also relieves the pressure on European production and allows ford to phase out the 1.6.

I think the 2nd shoe to drop is Cuautitlan Stamping and Assembly Plant, the Fiesta is currently made, I can see the Transit Connect being made there along with other B and C production.

BTW info on Jags new engine.

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/jlr-corp/news/2014/07/jlr_ingenium_engine_release_090714/

Nope, not gonna happen.

why not?

Edited by Biker16

why not?

Because C cars just aren't moving right now. GM is cutting production of the sonic and spark in Lake Orion, and Ford is supposedly eliminating a shift at MAP in a couple of months.

If they are cutting a shift at MAP for the Focus which is still selling 20,000 a month, what makes you think that they would be expanding Cuactitlian when Fiesta inventory levels are already stupidly high at 20,000 cars and it's not even hitting 5,000 a month right now?

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Because C cars just aren't moving right now. GM is cutting production of the sonic and spark in Lake Orion, and Ford is supposedly eliminating a shift at MAP in a couple of months.

If they are cutting a shift at MAP for the Focus which is still selling 20,000 a month, what makes you think that they would be expanding Cuactitlian when Fiesta inventory levels are already stupidly high at 20,000 cars and it's not even hitting 5,000 a month right now?

Because Ford is dumb, and C-CARs are not always CARS, this would include the escape, transit connect, and MKc along with any other potential Lincolns, or hybrid models.

Fords mistake was not making MAP be capable of building the Escape or MKc, and making the C-max hybrid only.

Transit connect is so tall it almost requires a plant specifically made for it.

Because Ford is dumb, and C-CARs are not always CARS, this would include the escape, transit connect, and MKc along with any other potential Lincolns, or hybrid models.

True, however its going to take a LOT of work for them to be built in Mexico with an assembly line that has clearances for the Fiesta. I've never been there (obviously) but one would think that it's not as simple as running an Escape body down that line. I'm sure they would have to redesign some parts of it to have enough clearances for it.

Fords mistake was not making MAP be capable of building the Escape or MKc, and making the C-max hybrid only.

Again, it's definitely capably of building the Escape and MKC, but like I've said time and time again, there's not enough room there on the line for the extra parts. I would know, I work there (for now)

Transit connect is so tall it almost requires a plant specifically made for it.

Which is why it took so long to move production from Turkey to Spain. And why it's not likely going to ever be built in Mexico. If anything Kansas City alongside the full size Transit is the most likely candidate if extra production is needed. Less work, downtime and $$ invested in redesigning a whole plant.

True, however its going to take a LOT of work for them to be built in Mexico with an assembly line that has clearances for the Fiesta. I've never been there (obviously) but one would think that it's not as simple as running an Escape body down that line. I'm sure they would have to redesign some parts of it to have enough clearances for it.

Dude thet would be spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a plant that recently had $3 billion or so invested into it.

Again, it's definitely capably of building the Escape and MKC, but like I've said time and time again, there's not enough room there on the line for the extra parts. I would know, I work there (for now)

if there isn't enough room It cannot be done.

Which is why it took so long to move production from Turkey to Spain. And why it's not likely going to ever be built in Mexico. If anything Kansas City alongside the full size Transit is the most likely candidate if extra production is needed. Less work, downtime and $$ invested in redesigning a whole plant.

the delay had little to do with the Transit connect and alot to do with the economic crisis in the EU. building the TC along side the Transit makes even less sense than moving it to mexico.

In fairness, the claims of up to 4,000 jobs did not come from Ford - that's wishful thinking when it comes

to expansions like engine and transmission plants.

Clearly, there's some confusion over exactly what engines and transmission are to be made at the new plants

Dude thet would be spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a plant that recently had $3 billion or so invested into it.

That's exactly why they aren't going to move anything else there for a while.

if there isn't enough room It cannot be done.

I cant tell if that's sarcasm or not

the delay had little to do with the Transit connect and alot to do with the economic crisis in the EU. building the TC along side the Transit makes even less sense than moving it to mexico.

Sure, it was that too, but it was a combination of both factors.

why doesn't building TC along side of the Transit make sense? Like i said before, its less time and money invested and they could do it like they do in Flat Rock with the Fusion, where its strictly overflow production. That way they don't take too many resources away from Transit.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

why doesn't building TC along side of the Transit make sense? Like i said before, its less time and money invested and they could do it like they do in Flat Rock with the Fusion, where its strictly overflow production. That way they don't take too many resources away from Transit.

KCAP is too crowded right now and they can't keep up with demand for the Transit.

FWIW the transit connect is being built on the same line as the escape in Spain,

KCAP is too crowded right now and they can't keep up with demand for the Transit.

That will change when a 3rd shift is eventually (and at this rate, inevitably) added. I'm not saying TC will ever be moved there, but it's certainly more likely than Louisville, and probably more likely than Mexico.

FWIW the transit connect is being built on the same line as the escape in Spain,

Well that's useful knowledge, unfortunately has no bearing here. We all know Louisville is at full capacity right now.

As of 1 April, Ford has Transit Connect inventory at 18,300 - 94 days supply and down from 148 days same time last year.

Similarly Louisville is keeping up famously

Escape 61,000 and MKC at 9,200

Ford really doesn't need to increase capacity that much at all.

Ford Announces $2.5 Billion USD Investment for New Engine, Transmission Plants in Mexico

• Ford is investing $2.5 billion USD in new engine and transmission plants in the Mexican states of Chihuahua and Guanajuato, respectively
  • Approximately 3,800 direct jobs will be generated through three projects – a new engine plant in Chihuahua, expansion of Ford’s I-4 and diesel engine lines in Chihuahua and a new transmission plant – Ford’s first in Mexico – in Guanajuato
  • The investment is part of the company’s One Ford plan, which emphasizes global competitiveness. The news comes as Ford celebrates its 90th year in Mexico

Further building its lineup of increasingly fuel-efficient engines and transmissions, Ford today announced a $2.5 billion investment in two new facilities building a new generation of engines and transmissions in the states of Chihuahua and Guanjuato, respectively.

The investment, which comes during the celebration of Ford’s 90th anniversary in the country, will bring 3,800 direct new jobs plus additional indirect jobs to Mexico. Ford officials announced the investment today during a ceremony with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and other members of the country’s Federal Government.

“Ford is making a significant commitment to our business in Mexico with investment in two new facilities, while aiming to make our vehicles even more fuel-efficient with a new generation of engines and transmissions our team in Mexico will build,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s President of The Americas. “These new engines and transmissions will help deliver even better driving experiences and fuel economy gains for customers around the world.”

The new engine facility is being built within Ford’s Chihuahua Engine Plant, where the company will produce a new gasoline-powered engine. This $1.1 billion investment and 1,300 new jobs will allow Ford to export engines to the U.S., Canada, South America and the Asia-Pacific region, supporting the company’s growing small car lineup.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/04/17/ford-announces-2-5-billion-usd-investment.html

Edited by Gnostic

It also confirms Ford will continue to use DCTs in their products.

the New Inline 4 investment is huge, I suspect it will result in the loss of an engine plant in Europe, which has been producing far more engines than cars for the last decade.

The investment in Diesel is small enough that you cannot extrapolate any pending changes to the lineup.

• I cannot foresee any need to expand 2.0 or 2.5 production unless Ford closes Dearborn Engine, Which produces engines for the Focus which is assembled less than 15 miles at MAP, BUT if the next generation focus follows the pattern of the Fusion, it will have a higher ratio of EB engines than it does today, even then it may not result in an increase in production.
  • it Could be a very small footprint investment in diesel engine production, I.E. knock down kit production of a small volume of engines, with all machining and sub assembly being done some where else, like Europe or South Africa. remember Ford doesn't AFAIK Machine the CGI blocks used in the 6.7 I don't know About the 2.7, but either way All blocks are imported from Mexico or Brazil.

It also confirms Ford will continue to use DCTs in their products.

In addition, Ford is building a new transmission plant within the premises of transmission supplier and longtime partner Getrag, which is based in the City of Irapuato in the State of Guanajuato. This $1.2 billion investment brings approximately 2,000 new jobs.

This new plant – Ford’s first transmission facility in Mexico – will produce two all-new automatic transmissions for key products primarily in South America, Europe and Asia Pacific as well as other North American markets.

Probably, but it certainly doesn't appear that they're expanding the use of that transmission.

I just hope the next Focus has a manual option. I'll need a replacement in 3 or 4 years. 143k on my 2009 with no problems. Original clutch and brake rotors too. I will never buy a DCT in a car I plan to keep for awhile with the track record Ford has with them.

• Like 1

I just hope the next Focus has a manual option. I'll need a replacement in 3 or 4 years. 143k on my 2009 with no problems. Original clutch and brake rotors too. I will never buy a DCT in a car I plan to keep for awhile with the track record Ford has with them.

I feel better about mine. Early build 2008 with original clutch. Brake rotors have only been changed once. 171k miles. In process of suspension rebuild.