ford to announce new diesel engines to be built in mexico.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150414/OEM01/150419949/ford-to-unveil-2-5-billion-mexico-investment-on-friday-report-says?cciid=email-autonews-blast

MEXICO CITY/DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. this Friday plans to announce an investment of about $2.5 billion in Mexico, industry sources told Reuters, in the latest multi-billion dollar outlay in the country's booming auto sector.

Ford will invest $1.3 billion to expand its plant in northern Chihuahua state, where it will build two new diesel engines, with another $1.2 billion destined for a transmission plant in central Guanajuato state, the sources said.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting Biker, another piece of the puzzle added.

Now all we need to know is which two diesels....... :lurk:

Raj Nair, Ford’s product development chief, has not ruled out a diesel engine for the F-150. But likely it would not be a V-8. The latest generation aluminum-bodied F-150 weighs as much as 700 pounds less than the old steel-bodied truck, meaning that it could get by on a smaller diesel engine, likely a V-6.
Edited by jpd80

According to this article they are going to build Ford's 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost gasoline engine in North America for the first time. They don't mention any new Diesel engines. I guess we will find out when they announce on Friday.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/04/14/ford-investment-mexico-engine-transmission-plant/25771619/

Edited by Dustyw85

Chihuahua currently builds 2.0 and 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engines. They didn't start building the 6.7 and 4.4 diesels until 2010. I don't think they are going to need 4000 new workers for diesel engines. The 1.5 ecoboost is a high volume engine. Maybe they will be new diesel engines in addition to it, but diesel engines alone don't sale enough to warrant this big of an expansion.

Edited by Dustyw85

Where's the wild speculation on what they'll build? I'll start, let's go with a 3.0L PowerStroke Diesel V6 and a 4.4L EcoBoost Gas V8.

The Autonews article quotes an "analyst" that says they may be replacing the 6.7 Powerstroke with something new. That seems like some pretty wild speculation.

The Autonews article quotes an "analyst" that says they may be replacing the 6.7 Powerstroke with something new. That seems like some pretty wild speculation.

Yeah, I would say that is pretty wild considering they're just about to start putting them in the HD trucks as well as the Super Duty. It's only been around 5 years. I don't think it's going anywhere in the near future.

I can believe a lot of things. But the 6.7 going away isn't one of them. The only way I would see that happening is if Ford engineering has performed some miracle that returns such great MPG/Power/Emissions that they are pushing it into service ASAP.

Personally, I think a baby diesel is more likely than a 6.7 replacement. Something as a base engine to the SD, potentially optional on the F150, and Transit.

But if I were to place a bet, neither of these diesels are going to be sold in the US. What ever they are making.

Ford Motor Co. on Friday will announce a $2.5 billion investment in Mexico, a source confirmed to The Detroit News.

Reuters, citing industry sources, first reported the investment, which it said would include money for a transmission plant, and an expansion of Ford's plant in the northern Chihuahua state, where it will build two new diesel engines.

Ford Motor Co. on Friday will announce a $2.5 billion investment in Mexico, a source confirmed to The Detroit News.

Reuters, citing industry sources, first reported the investment, which it said would include money for a transmission plant, and an expansion of Ford's plant in the northern Chihuahua state, where it will build two new diesel engines.

Free Press is reporting the investment is for the 1.5EB.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/04/14/ford-investment-mexico-engine-transmission-plant/25771619/

• Like 1

From a bit that I have heard Ford will offering diesels in more passenger vehicles come late decade. 54mpg is coming and the latest roomers are that it actually maybe even higher. 2025 isn't that far away in the auto world. And are they 2 family's or 2 engines? Could see a new 4cycliner design. (1.6/ 2.0l) And then a new v6/v8 (3.0l and 4.0l) Mexico also has a ton of free trade agreements making it perfect for export.

• Like 2

54mpg is coming

Yeah, except it isn't really.

I mean, to start off with, 54.5 is more like 49.5 which means something like 39.6 combined on the window sticker.

Also, there's still tons of credits.

And then you have to appreciate that, thanks to the footprint model and a whole bunch of other regs that have been changed, each company is going to get their own target.

In short, like so many things, these numbers are about 99% sizzle and 1% substance.

More info here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-cafe-numbers-game-making-sense-of-the-new-fuel-economy-regulations-feature

Second, because these CAFE requirements are based on size, every car company actually ends up with a different CAFE requirement, depending on the mix and size of cars and trucks that it actually sells. For every model year, each company must calculate the CAFE requirement for all models it markets and then determine the sales-weighted average for its actual mix. Therefore, a company such as General Motors, with its heavy share of large pickups and SUVs, will have a lower CAFE requirement than Suzuki, which primarily produces smallish cars and SUVs.

Since we're starting rumors and the original press release said something about a new transmission plant, I'm guessing that Ford is investing in a new plant to build a whole line of in-house designed manual transmissions to be offered in every trim of every model Ford sold.

Think I'll be disappointed?

4,000 new jobs points to a very high volume engine... so that lends credibility to Detroit Free Press's report of 1.5 Ecoboost production.

Although, it's possible that Ford is expanding the engine plant to add 1.5 Ecoboost and new diesel engines.

4,000 new jobs points to a very high volume engine... so that lends credibility to Detroit Free Press's report of 1.5 Ecoboost production.

Although, it's possible that Ford is expanding the engine plant to add 1.5 Ecoboost and new diesel engines.

With that many jobs and the $$ invested, its all 3