Ford warns dealers about GT sales

blwnsmoke

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/04/03/ford-gt-dealers-250-allotment-deposit/25259417/

NEW YORK — An international team at Ford is trying to figure out how best to allocate the 250 Ford GT super cars that will be sold later this year, said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of The Americas.

At the same time, Hinrichs has told dealers in North America not to take orders or price gouge – especially because they haven't been told whether they even will get one of the $400,000 cars to sell.

This time around the automaker is limiting production to 250 a year for sale. Hinrichs would not say how many model years are planned, but noted the car "does have a finite life."

"We are discussing who gets them," Hinrichs said, and discouraging dealers from pre-selling until have there is a decision on how to allocate and manage the process.

Hinrichs said he knows dealers and customers are eager.

"I was at Galpin Ford (in California) last week. They showed me their list of interested parties."

One auto writer said a dealer approached her offering one for $600,000.

Wait, "a dealer approached an auto writer and offered them one for $600k" is a odd statement. Outside Clarkson, May, and Hammond what auto writers have anywhere near that kind of scratch? Or does someone just dress REALLY well and got mistaken for a high roller?

Storm in a tea cup really.

There's a lot of excitement over the car and some unscruplous types will want to cash in for sure

so good to see Ford setting the ground rules well before any allocation and ordering begins.

Even though it's a $400K car, if Ford get is marketing right, this could be very successful for them,

$400K is a big price bu there are enough buyers with deep pockets to afford one.

I wonder if it's possible to create a high roller leasing plan..that could be a way to turn this into a monster hit..

I wonder if it's possible to create a high roller leasing plan..that could be a way to turn this into a monster hit..

Lease? Nope. Those buying these are going to keep them forever I would imagine. It will, after all, be in investment that will most-likely appreciate like the last GT. They are only planning to make 250/year, so I don't think they will have any trouble selling them.

DEALER PRINCIPLE WAS TOLD LOW $300S...which after addendums will most likely end up at $400k, however MSRP, low $300's....but that's speculation as well as nothings form...ford would be shooting themselves in the foot if their egos get carried away, Best bang for the Buck Supercar is what they should be aiming for IMO...out perform and undercut the immediate competition...win win...

With this kind of price and exclusivity, I think Ford should come up with a super special delivery model. Order this car from the factory not a dealer, have the cars delivered via truck directly to the buyer (North America only) and then specify and authorize someone at a local dealer as the service relationship delivery person who'll be responsible for dealing with the GT at the assigned dealership. This one and only person will be the person driving the vehicle at the dealership. I can tell you now if I dropped $400k on one of these I wouldn't be allowing any joe blow guy from Town & Country Ford to drive it. No way.

With this kind of price and exclusivity, I think Ford should come up with a super special delivery model. Order this car from the factory not a dealer, have the cars delivered via truck directly to the buyer (North America only) and then specify and authorize someone at a local dealer as the service relationship delivery person who'll be responsible for dealing with the GT at the assigned dealership. This one and only person will be the person driving the vehicle at the dealership. I can tell you now if I dropped $400k on one of these I wouldn't be allowing any joe blow guy from Town & Country Ford to drive it. No way.

Absolutely, completely illegal in most all (if not all) states.

Ford tried this with used vehicles - dealers sued and won. Ford can't sell vehicles to the public. That's why they have to figure out the allocation.

understand the thinking about personal deliveriy, wont happen from the factory, and doesn't happen with Ferraris either...I have heard of dealers delivering said vehicle to the purchasers, remember SPECIFCALLY an F40 getting TOTALLED on an off/ on ramp at the hands of the delivering sales person.....best that delivery with a 600 hp supercar takes place at a dealership....

• 1 month later...

Absolutely, completely illegal in most all (if not all) states.

Ford tried this with used vehicles - dealers sued and won. Ford can't sell vehicles to the public. That's why they have to figure out the allocation.

And that's why Tesla is running into problems. They sell direct ... no dealers!

• 6 months later...