The resurection of the Ford Engineer Laboratory Building

By the early 1920s, Ford had acquired a large amount of farmland a few miles away from the Rouge Complex (the site of the current Dearborn Truck Plant and a few other companies that were sold off from the Rouge). The northern boundary of this property was Michigan Avenue and the rail line that paralleled it all the way to Chicago. It was also only a few miles away from Henry Ford's private home on the Rouge River called Fairlane (the site of U of M Dearborn; Henry's home is still there). Henry choose this site for his first building exclusively dedicated to engineering.

The street that was built in front of the building was (and still is) called Oakwood Blvd. It runs in a South Easterly direction and bend a bit more to the East. The rest of the Ford Engineering and Research Center, as well as the Ford Trimotor airstrip and the first airport hotel, the Dearborn Inn, were built on each side of this street.

The Ford Engineering Lab (FEL) featured classic external architecture and functional internal design. Behind the brass and glass front doors, was a small lobby, with marble floor and the script Ford logo set in with brass. The lobby was lined in real wood paneling which lead to an inner hallway that ran parallel to the front of the building for a few hundred feet in each direction. Because this hallway was also lined with wood paneling, Or the years, this hallway got the nickname "mahogany row" although the wood was not really mahogany !

The main "work room" just behind mahogany row, was open, end to end, well over 500'. The solid wood floors ran over a basement that ultimately held steam pipe for as yet to be built buildings further along Oakwood. The main work room had hundreds of large drafting tables, but there was also space for display current vehicles and various parts. The work room had high ceilings with canted windows in the roof for natural light and ventilation. The building had 2 unusual features, A barber shop (had to look your best before going to a VPs office) and a walk in bank vault (engineers were actually paid in cash in the 1920s)

Over the years, this building grew and grew and grew. At various times in its life, it housed machine shops and even early dynomometers. The front facade did not change. Also, over time, its name changed. First to Engine and Electrical Engineering (EEE or as the engineers called it "triple E") and then to Powertrain Operations and Engine Engineering (POEE). As a functioning, fully occupied engineering building, it was difficult for it to be kept "up to date". Although carpeting covered the wood floor, many years it was thread bare and seams were held together with duct tape.

In 2006-2007 Ford's "white collar" work force was reduced by about 33%, most of them from SE MI. Building leases were cancelled. Engineers were consolidated from smaller buildings. By the end of 2007, it was clear that POEE, probably the most costly building to operate, was no longer required. In 2008, the building was empty and even though there was discussion about Henry Ford Museum taking it over, nothing happened. Also during this time frame, ALL real estate that was owned by Ford Motor Company was transferred in to Ford Land, which previously owned and managed office buildings, hotels and shopping centers. (If the motor company folded, the holdings of Ford Land would still give the Ford family a good income)

Having successfully weathered the Recession, in 20014, Ford announced a plan to hire 2,000+ white collar workers. As these "fresh new faces" started stream in, it was clear that more building space was necessary. The decision was made to resurrect the building. External sewers had to be repaired. With no office furniture in place (it was sold in 2007-2008) it was the perfect time for new carpet, paint, more inhabitant friendly office space (more conference rooms, bigger "break rooms" with company supplied amenities like refrigerators and microwaves). some architectural changes were made to bring back the heritage of the building. The new residents started moving in this week.

I give you, the NEW Ford Engineering Laboratory Building

post-11847-0-87007800-1426860372.jpg

post-11847-0-87007800-1426860372_thumb.jpg

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 5

When I did my internship at Ford I worked in that building for a few rotations, it is really beautiful. They used to really build things, the old World Headquarters building was also amazing as was the powerhouse. It is very very sad that the old World Headquarters was torn down.

Edited by jasonj80

340246.jpg

I have never seen this picture before ! The high canted windows are clearly visible. If you look past HF, you can see that there are no drafting tables inside yet.

This building has a lot of history. all of the famous Ford Racing engines (427 SOHC, BOSS 302 and BOSS 429, Indy, etc) were all designed here. Likely some prototypes were built/tested in "the back".

Probably more than 100,000 engineers and draftsmen have worked in this building since it was opened.

I love that building - for those who may not know, it's directly next to the Henry Ford Museum.

In spring and summer, when we would walk around outside during lunch hour, we had to tell the tourists the Henry For Museum was the next entrance off of Oakwood !

Above each window archway is a name of each prominent "inventor" or "visionary" that is honored throughout the years.

And above the main entrance, was the name of the inventor HF admired most ... Edison.

Anyone who has passed through the lobby doors into Mahogany Row, will recall the marble staircase winding to both the right and left up to the second floor. The barber shop, safe and Henry's "library" were all on the second floor. (The second floor was only one hallway wide with office on both sides. It did not extend to the full width of the building.) Henry's personal office was at the southern end of Mahogany Row and was restored, with most of the original furniture, about 20 years ago. A glass door was installed for all to see inside.

A careful observer would notice, as they admired that staircase, that there was an electric chain fall/lift bolted into the ceiling directly above the center of the staircase ! "Design reviews" were held in the library (large room, south end) and there was no elevator. How else would you get a flathead V8 up there for Henry to "review" ?

Edited by theoldwizard

In spring and summer, when we would walk around outside during lunch hour, we had to tell the tourists the Henry For Museum was the next entrance off of Oakwood !

And above the main entrance, was the name of the inventor HF admired most ... Edison.

Did you go to Miller's for lunch?... may have seen you there

Did you go to Miller's for lunch?... may have seen you there

I was there a few times over a 31 year career. There are a lot of places to eat around Dearborn. Mexican, Chinese, Thai and in more recent years, lots of Arabic.

I'm boring, more than 66% of the time I ate my "brown bag" lunch at my desk.

I haven't had a Fox's Pasty in over 15 years !

Edited by theoldwizard