Duratec 35

OK, I'm convinced that thenew 3.5 is going to be one heck of an engine. I'm partial to I-6's but I'll give this V-6 a chance.

Can any one out there give me a rough estimate of what the following costs were.

Enineering:

Tooling:

Cost per unit:

Thanks,

I just wish they would have dropped the duratec name. At least that way it owuld have started wtih a clean slate in teh automotive press. Using the duratec name is only going to start it with two strikes.

Eh, I've never had any problems with Duratecs. The press has already seemed to forgotten about the Duratec 2.5 and 3.0 in their initial previews of the Edge, MKX, and MKZ. As long as they addressed the NVH issues, then I don't see the press maligning it too much. That was really their only gripe about it most of the time. The Duratecs have been seen as pretty reliable, so there's no real issue with carrying over the name in my opinion.

I wish they wouldn't have dropped the Intech name on the mod motors. They should have expanded it to cover all the car-based mods instead of just the Lincoln 4-cammer.

Hemiman, to answer your questions, while I don't have specific numbers, it would be reasonable to assume that the Duratec 35 program really wasn't too expensive. While it is a new engine, the same basic architecture is carryover from the rest of the Duratec lineup, so they weren't completely starting from scratch. The tooling I'm sure is all new though. Overall, I'd say in the end the overall cost-per-unit isn't going to end up being much higher than the Duratec 3.0.

Edited by NickF1011