Why no manual transmission option in light trucks?

i think a small number of tributes as well, I think an even smaller number wound Up in the first few model years of the escape too.

Not possible. The Escape/Tribute were fwd east-west architecture. The M5ODs are rwd north-south architecture. They'd stick out the drivers side fender by a foot if you tried to put them in an Escape.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Mazda has sold manual transmissions to Ford since before they were married. Toyo-Kogyo = Mazda. You forgot the best M5 variant.. the M5R2-RKE. It wasn't best because of its attributes... It was best because of where it lived. :)

Oh and yes, Mazda sold Ford a few front driver manuals too...

Those were just rebranded Rangers and Explorers made on the same Ford assembly lines as the Ranger and Explorers.

Yes, but your post said as follows.......

What's the story with the Mazda transmissions that Ford was using in the Ranger/Explorer (M5OD-R1) and F150 (M5OD-R2)? Where were they made and why are they called "Mazda" when they were apparently never put in a Mazda product? There seem to have been several bazillion produced, especially of the Ranger variety. A large percentage of Rangers were manual even right up the end.

Fact is....they may have been made by Ford, but they were sold, serviced and recognized as Mazdas....AND, they also had Mazda transmissions....

The "peanut gallery" steps off now...... :rockon:

Yes, but your post said as follows.......

Fact is....they may have been made by Ford, but they were sold, serviced and recognized as Mazdas....AND, they also had Mazda transmissions....

The "peanut gallery" steps off now...... :rockon:

I meant Mazda specific products. Where was the M5OD used that wasn't a Ford application? I can't find any evidence that it was ever used in anything that didn't come off a Ford assembly line.

I meant Mazda specific products. Where was the M5OD used that wasn't a Ford application? I can't find any evidence that it was ever used in anything that didn't come off a Ford assembly line.

Well, seeing as Mazda designed the BT-50 truck that they sell in other parts of the world and Ranger is a derivative of that truck, I guess there is your answer....While both trucks share design features, it was Mazda that was the lead designer of this truck and chassis. Gets kinda blurry about who builds what for whom, but these days there are plants that churn out BT-50 and then there are plants that churn out Ranger...

I am actually quite surprised that with the partnership pretty much ended, Mazda doesn't perform a re-design and bring BT-50 into the US market to compete with Colorado/Canyon.....sans the bed so a locally built truck bed could be installed to avoid the dreaded "Chicken Tax".

• 3 weeks later...

Well, seeing as Mazda designed the BT-50 truck that they sell in other parts of the world and Ranger is a derivative of that truck, I guess there is your answer....While both trucks share design features, it was Mazda that was the lead designer of this truck and chassis. Gets kinda blurry about who builds what for whom, but these days there are plants that churn out BT-50 and then there are plants that churn out Ranger...

I am actually quite surprised that with the partnership pretty much ended, Mazda doesn't perform a re-design and bring BT-50 into the US market to compete with Colorado/Canyon.....sans the bed so a locally built truck bed could be installed to avoid the dreaded "Chicken Tax".

Because that latest BT-50 is now based on T6 Ranger and built in the same Thailand plant.

That plant was gutted to build T6 so there's no chance of going back..

Edited by jpd80

The SHO guys often retell this story:

When one of the Marketing/Engineering Ford people responded to an inquiry about manual transmissions in the all new 1996 SHO, he said "If you want a manual transmission, keep what you've got" Many of us took that to heart and the 96-99 SHO was a sales failure and was killed off. I drove a SVT focus for a while, but eventually needed more room. When I went shopping again, Ford had a 4 cyl n/a fusion that was the closest thing to what I wanted. 4 door sporty sedan with a manual trans and some power. But the fusion didn't have any power.

For the first time in my entire driving career, I am driving a non-FoMoCo product. And really I owe it to Ford for opening my eyes to their competition. I'm enjoying my daily commute to work while rowing my own gears. As long as a manufacturer continues to sell a sports sedan with a manual transmission, it's what I'll buy.

So I feel for ya OP, I too couldn't imagine driving anything but a Ford, but while the grass may not be greener on this side of the fence, there are plenty of sticks still out there...at least for now.

....the 96-99 SHO was a sales failure and was killed off....

Understand that the reason why it was a sales failure had nothing to do with the "no manual" option...it was a failure because at the point, Taurus as a line of cars was an "also ran"...dated chassis design....Camry was taking the lead sales position...and Ford was pouring all their effort into trucks, Explorer, and the debacle known as PAG....Taurus was withering on the vine.....

Understand that the reason why it was a sales failure had nothing to do with the "no manual" option...it was a failure because at the point, Taurus as a line of cars was an "also ran"...dated chassis design....Camry was taking the lead sales position...and Ford was pouring all their effort into trucks, Explorer, and the debacle known as PAG....Taurus was withering on the vine.....

That and the fact that the '96 Taurus was too ovoid and, well, just damned ugly!

• Like 1

The third gen SHO was a failure because there was a huge premium for what you got. In the GEN 1 and GEN 2 days the little Yamaha was a cosmic leap in power over the 2.5 HSC, 3.0 Vulcan and 3.8 Essex's. Not to mention that it would rocket along to that glorious redline.... In Gen 3, the Duratec 3.0 was good enough that most decided that the slight bump in power to the Yamaha V8 (with increased weight) wasn't worth it.