5 Helpful Digits

Never been much of a fan of the eyesore keypad entry. It was on our old '93 Taurus. I think it might have gotten used once in 5 years.

Maybe if they concealed it a little better it would be a good idea. Why not use a flip panel on the B-pillar or something instead of a gaudy exposed pad?

How easy is it to lock your keys in your car anyway, really? I've managed to do it ONCE in 12 years of driving. :doh:

My beloved '88 T-bird had this feature. When I bought the car used, I thought "Neat, extra buttons, but why?" And then I got addicted to them! Could leave the car running in winter and run inside for something quick. Or go to the beach or somewhere outdoors like that and leave EVERYTHING in the car. Or drop it off for someone else to use. Or just pop the car open for whatever crossed your mind while the keys weren't handy.

Ironically, I never did lock my keys in THAT car... :rockon: but how I wished my wife's car had that feautre one infamous day....

The pad on my '88 lit up, which was cool. I never liked the plain ones, and the new bubble style on the window frames don't look right. The old ones were hardwired and had code modules in the trunk; you could change the code by soldering resistors. The new ones are essentially wireless keyfobs glued to wherever.

Odd that Ford is newly promoting this now... and odder still that this feature has survived all the cost cutting.

But I sorta agree with Nick and Sizzler that the interface could use some polish!

Ford has, apparently, looked into dropping the keypad, but there are customers that absolutely love it and would not want a Ford without it, so it's probably going to be around for a while.

Yes, I have the hardwired, nicer looking one on my GM-LS. And Ford is silly to even think of decontenting this feature... as they :censored: have!

Have the words "product differentiaition" lost all meaning at Ford??? :shrug:

I've always had the Keypad, or have had it installed. Whenever I go to the gym, or beach I'll lock the keys inside. Or if I run into a convinience store, or bank, I leave the car running and just lock it so the car is still cooled while I run in for something.

Or even at home if I'm closer to the car and don't wish to walk to the opposite side of the house to get the keys, I have the keypad option. I probably use it on an average of once or twice a day.

I've always had the Keypad, or have had it installed. Whenever I go to the gym, or beach I'll lock the keys inside. Or if I run into a convinience store, or bank, I leave the car running and just lock it so the car is still cooled while I run in for something.

Or even at home if I'm closer to the car and don't wish to walk to the opposite side of the house to get the keys, I have the keypad option. I probably use it on an average of once or twice a day.

But for this piece of media to be published, at this time, Hmmm I think there's more to it. I don't see it as "Oh look we have a toy everyojne enjoys" I'm looking at this more in the line of "Well, we aren't going to go with the high-tech card in your wallet, auto-unlock, auto start, so lets start telling you now how much better this is".

Mind you, the MKS will have this Keypad feature, but it'll be touch sensitive, rather than buttons... So we can safely assume that the MKS won't have the card in your pocket, auto-unlock, push button start, stuff...

I'd get it for my Mustang, but the aftermarket one is hidious looking..the need to shink down the buttons a bit and make it less of an eyesore..looks ok on products that offer it as an option like the Explorer

My first car with the keypad was my previous vehicle, an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I loved the feature. Whenever I go to the beach, I just throw my keys and wallet in the trunk and don't have to worry about them. It was one of the first things I installed when my 2000 Mustang was delivered. The accessory is wireless and installs in less than 5 minutes. It's compatible with almost any 99+ Ford product.

69001730.jpg

61314504.jpg

Edited by StevenCaylor

My first car with the keypad was my previous vehicle, an 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I loved the feature. Whenever I go to the beach, I just throw my keys and wallet in the trunk and don't have to worry about them. It was one of the first thinks I installed when my 2000 Mustang was delivered. The accessory is wireless and installs in less than 5 minutes. It's compativle with almost any 99+ Ford product.

If I add one to my Stang, I'll probably mount it on the cowl as opposed to the door.

all I can say is that if you regularly go to a location (health club), watch out for people with cellphone cameras (video) if you're leaving your keys inside the cabin.

Personally, I think the fingerprint is the way to go (maybe not in cold climates :) )

What's nice about that is you can store the fingerprint read (and not accepted), or read (and accepted) in the coming black boxes along with the fingerprint used to start the car (maybe a quick digital image snapped from the gauge cluster of the person in the driver's seat to be stored until the next startup?). No doubts about who was driving. And then, if the states can link to the black boxes as they cruise by monitoring stations, license checks can be made while a mileage tax is calculated.

You know GM GIVES you a handy dandy flat little key in a credit-card dohickey that JUST unlocks the doors.

Wouldn't you really rather press a fob button from 20 feet away that lights up the interior and surroundings; when you can see the whole area around the car and scan the immediate area around you than walk up to the car and punch numbers in while someone walks up behind you? If you lock your keys in the car, just whip out the credit card key.

So we can safely assume that the MKS won't have the card in your pocket, auto-unlock, push button start, stuff...

"The Lincoln MKS presents a suite of technological features designed to make life more convenient. The 14-speaker, 500-watt DVD surround-sound audio system is compatible with Bluetooth cellular phones. The passive-entry system recognizes the driver, and automatically unlocks the vehicle and adjusts the mirrors, seats, radio dials and temperature to his or her personal settings."

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=22336

Some people like to think On-Star from GM is great, if you lock your keys in your car with the baby, no problem just call.... oh wait, you locked your cell phone in the car too :doh:

Now with my Ford I punch in 5 handy dandy little numbers and little suzie is safe.

I like the pad quite a bit and I miss it, I will get it again.

The fingerprint is too big brother for me.