Ford considers going private

While I am not sure if I even have an opinon of Ford going private, I must say that this has been one of the most enamoring subjects I've ever read on the BON. It is awesome to see the possibilities of what might happen to a large company by making this choice. I guess the bottom line for me would be to see that Ford exceeds being in a survival mode tactic. It has to do whatever is necessary to endure past the goals of privatization. It must be a driving force in the business and use all it's creative power to generate winning products. It's profitability in other parts of the world might hold a hint as to what management styles would be helpful without taking away the American influence needed to just be here. It seems like Ford is very close to turning the corner on model selection and design, but still needs to address powerplants. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with the next phase in September. This could get very interesting.

Also, think about what Ford's message would be if they went private. Sure it would say shove it to the analysts, but it would tell Ford employees and customers that Ford doesn't value them or care about their input. Ford workers would lose stake in the company, why should they care if Ford does well, they have no vested interest.

I don't see it that way at all. I have seen close up a lot of companies (mostly retailers) make the leap the other direction - from private to public - and I can say there is not a single one among them that were improved by it. On the contrary: going public tells employees and customers alike that it's all about the bottom line, and about "biggering and biggering" (to steal a line from Dr. Seuss). Customers can expect a trend toward reduced content and increased price. Employees can expect a trend toward understaffing, offshoring, minimizing benefits and wages, coupled with constant demand for ever-increasing productivity.

Let the public know that it's a family-owned corporation - the real deal. Then you'd have one of each among the big three: foreign owned Daimler Chrysler, Wall Street Slave-Bitch GM, and family-owned Ford. That's instant brand equity right there.

Americans don't care about the American family because, sadly, the American family doesn't exist anymore. (That's an entirely new topic though).

If FoMoCo walked up to the marketplace and said, "Look at me! We're a company owned by a big, wealthy family!" -- no, that wouldn't look right.

Even if the company walked up and said, "We're family-owned and family-oriented" -- that doesn't resonate as much as it used to. It certainly wouldn't resonate with 16-30 males, the place where the brand, partially, gets its first loyal customers.

With Generation Y becoming more powerful, and being a younger demo, it's that lure that will focus the marketplace on them.

As an aside, it sounds like the 500 is doing well with word-of-mouth. (It's not like it gets any advertising)

Edited by Roadrunner