2014 Fusion Titanium AWD major safety concern

alpinedaddy

Hi,

This letter is in reference to a 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD with 8k miles on it. There have been numerous issues with build quality I can go over at a later point. But the new issue could be a serious one that could cause a accident/death.

My wife was leaving Target last night at about 6pm. She exited her parking spot and was proceeding to go through the lot. She got to about 10 mph when the car starting lunging forward on it's own. She said it felt like the car was trying to accelerate on it's own. Happened 3-4 times and then the brakes engaged as if she had slammed them on. But she wasn't touching the brakes at that time. And then the car lost all electrical power and died. She tried to restart it but nothing was happening. We ended up having it towed to Chapel Hills Ford in Colorado Springs. Service advisor is Chris Taylor.

In checking NHTSA complaints, this is not a seldom case of this happening. There are several others already like this. Two of which have caused accidents. I bought this car for my wife so she and my daughter would be safer. Now because of this, I am afraid for them to be in it.

Please let me know what is going on?

Dealer is stating that since they are unable to replicate the issue on demand and Ford is stating that there is no issues reported, that nothing can be done. There are dozens of forums with people posting this exact same issue. Some including accidents because of it. Seems like another GM style "if we don't acknowledge it. It doesn't exist" way of business.

The problem with electrical gremlins is you never know when they are going to pop up, There's about a million and a half possible causes and they can be damn near impossible to replicate and diagnose (as you found out)

Unfortunately, they do happen and its not a problem exclusive to one manufacturer. The problem is if they can't get the problem to replicate, how can they diagnose it? No shop in their right mind is going to start arbitrarily tearing apart someone's car hoping to luck their way into fixing a problem.

It's not of case of not acknowledging the problem, is a case of they don't know what the problem is to acknowledge.

As a Ford employee working on the line to build these cars, I apologize for the problems you are having. I'm sorry to tell you, that unless you can gaurentee the problem can be replicated, there is really nothing that can be done.

The only piece of advice I can give you (I don't know squat about electrical systems) is to take it to another dealer for a second opinion, even call around first to see if any in your area have encountered this problem and been able to figure it out. That is probably going to be your best option.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo