Extended Warranty Advice?

Roman Smolkin

What do you all think about buying extended factory warranty on the car vs paying out of pocket for future repairs? My warranty is running out within a week. Seem in Florida there is some law that prevents them from being able to discount any of the plans. Additional 4 years, 125k miles coverage with $50 deductible is about $3500 (can be financed). Seems really high to me, but the question is what are the chances of me having repair bills for more than that in the next 4 years? What's been your highest and/or average bill total for any repairs if your C-Max is out of warranty?

Check online. You can buy a Ford warranty from any dealership including online and it's honored by Ford. I've bought the last three extended warranties for my Fords online including from dealerships that were out of the state I live in and have never had a problem when using them. Just make sure the place you buy it from is a Ford dealership.

For $3500, no way would I do it!

I normally don't buy extended warranties, but I did for my Super Duty. Glad I did as it has paid for itself. I spent < $1200 on the warranty ($0 deductible) and it has covered a $1200 radiator replacement, and just today, a $225 vacuum valve replacement for the 4x4. I bought mine here: http://www.floodfordesp.com/ You can go there and compare prices.

Really, though, in my case, factor in interest lost by plunking down $1200, I would have come out about even. My warranty is up in April.

• Like 1

If you're asking whether it is cheaper in the long run - it's virtually never cheaper to buy extended warranties in the long run over several vehicles. It's like gambling in vegas - the odds are always in favor of the house.

You might get lucky (or unlucky) on one or two vehicles but over the long haul it's always cheaper to insure yourself.

The only way that makes sense is to purchase it and finance it with the vehicle so you're only paying a few bucks per month to avoid a large repair bill.

If you can afford to purchase an extended warranty with cash or finance it after the fact then I would say you can also afford to pay for a large repair yourself the same way.

Some people just like the peace of mind they get from being covered and not having to worry about a big repair bill.

I get peace of mind knowing that I've saved well over $7K by never buying them, and even if I had to spend $4K tomorrow I'm still $3K ahead.

That said - if you get one shop around and only get a Ford ESP. The others aren't worth the hassle of trying to get something repaired.

• Like 2

I'm glad I got one on my Focus when I bought it. A month after i got it, I hit a pothole on the freeway at 75mph and bent an axle shaft. What was a 1000 repair only cost me 100 and i got a rental for free while the dealer waited for the part to come in.

That sounds like more of an insurance issue than a warranty issue.

That sounds like more of an insurance issue than a warranty issue.

Insurance had nothing to do with it, it was all part of the warranty that came with the car when I bought it.

the previous owner purchased the extended warranty and it transferred over to me. The $100 was a deductible and the rental was covered by the warranty. My insurance co never got invovled

Insurance had nothing to do with it, it was all part of the warranty that came with the car when I bought it.

the previous owner purchased the extended warranty and it transferred over to me. The $100 was a deductible and the rental was covered by the warranty. My insurance co never got invovled

Well, what I meant was that hitting something in the road is normally not covered by warranty, but by insurance.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Florida residents, they cannot purchase cheaper extended warranties through the internet. I would shop around different dealerships or independent extended warranty providers in FL, because $3500 is way too much. Because of the advanced PHEV technology and possible HVB replacement cost, I was planning on purchasing a EWP before one year or 12000 miles. When the dealership tried to sell me a plan at their price, I told him I was going to purchase a plan through Flood Ford and the dealership matched their price, which was more than half off, so I included it in my financing rather than paying “out of pocket". Whether it’s a sucker bet or not, it gives me peace of mind and that works for me.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for Florida residents, they cannot purchase cheaper extended warranties through the internet. I would shop around different dealerships or independent extended warranty providers in FL, because $3500 is way too much. Because of the advanced PHEV technology and possible HVB replacement cost, I was planning on purchasing a EWP before one year or 12000 miles. When the dealership tried to sell me a plan at their price, I told him I was going to purchase a plan through Flood Ford and the dealership matched their price, which was more than half off, so I included it in my financing rather than paying “out of pocket". Whether it’s a sucker bet or not, it gives me peace of mind and that works for me.

As long as it is a Ford warranty, what does it matter what state you are in? Does FL have some type of law against that? Seems rather strange, but I guess you never know.

We're thinking about buying the PremiumCARE ESP for our Energi. However, we're going to wait until 35 months or 35,500 miles and then decide, based on if we expect to actually keep the car through the end of the extended warranty period. I studied Risk Management in college so I have a thorough understanding of how insurance works, and this is essentially insurance. But, sometimes the peace of mind is nice to have even though you expect to lose money. There's also the Risk Aversion factor. The more risk averse you are the higher the value placed on the peace of mind offered by insurance.

I think we'd also end up using it for a bunch of little things rather than big things, that's why I'd pick the PremiumCARE which effectively extends the bumper-to-bumper warranty with a $0 deductible. The hybrid components are covered 8 yrs/100k miles so they wouldn't be effected by a PremiumCARE ESP, the powertrain is covered 5/60 so its extension by the ESP wouldn't be that great. Plus, with an Energi vehicle the ICE is hardly used so it isn't likely to have problems.

We're thinking about buying the PremiumCARE ESP for our Energi. However, we're going to wait until 35 months or 35,500 miles and then decide, based on if we expect to actually keep the car through the end of the extended warranty period. I studied Risk Management in college so I have a thorough understanding of how insurance works, and this is essentially insurance. But, sometimes the peace of mind is nice to have even though you expect to lose money. There's also the Risk Aversion factor. The more risk averse you are the higher the value placed on the peace of mind offered by insurance.

I think we'd also end up using it for a bunch of little things rather than big things, that's why I'd pick the PremiumCARE which effectively extends the bumper-to-bumper warranty with a $0 deductible. The hybrid components are covered 8 yrs/100k miles so they wouldn't be effected by a PremiumCARE ESP, the powertrain is covered 5/60 so its extension by the ESP wouldn't be that great. Plus, with an Energi vehicle the ICE is hardly used so it isn't likely to have problems.

I shopped around on the inter web and found Flood Ford out of Rhode Island has the best price and the cost of the plan begins to increase after 12 months or 12,000 miles. One thing you can do is go to their web site and price out the cost based on mileage and months of ownership, you can input and numbers you want and it will give you the cost.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

I shopped around on the inter web and found Flood Ford out of Rhode Island has the best price and the cost of the plan begins to increase after 12 months or 12,000 miles. One thing you can do is go to their web site and price out the cost based on mileage and months of ownership, you can input and numbers you want and it will give you the cost.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

That's who I've used to shop prices. Anderson-Koch Ford right here in MN also sells the Ford ESP at a small margin like Flood Ford. I believe the increase is only $30 if you buy after 12 months/12k miles.

Edited by hybridbear

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Florida BS prohabition on purchasing a Ford ESP Plan at a discount through an out of State Ford Dealer can be dealt with. An out of State Ford Dealership can sell the Plan (in person) to a Florida resident but (not) through the Internet. How can verification be made that you were physically at the Dealership on Vacation to purchase the ESP Plan?

I am considering one for my Focus as I only have about 5k left on the factory warranty. Still not sure what I'm going to do.

My dealer originally was going to match Flood Ford's prices but then they backed out a few weeks later and refunded me the money. Jerks. I took that as a sign that maybe I shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

Edited by Anthony