2015 Ford F-150: Aluminum Body Repairs Part 1 (With Video)

Idiots.

All they had to do was get estimates. Or ask Ford.

These are the same idiots who had a long term Lincoln LS tester and were complaining about the transmission shifting. There was a TSB out at the time that fixed it, and they were informed of that by several of us LS owners. So they took the car in for service. Did they mention the TSB to the service mgr? Of course not. They wanted to "test" him. So they spent another 6 months driving the car without the fix and continuing to complain about it.

Then the Editor-in-Chief Chris Wardlaw complained that Ford had no idea how to calculate displacement, because Jag said their AJ V8 was 4.0L while Ford said their version was 3.9L. I then explained to Chris that the stroke in the LS was 1 mm shorter than the stroke in the Jaguar (85 vs. 86 IIRC) which actually changed the displacement. He said he didn't understand how stroke could change the displacement - which is like saying he couldn't understand why a tall glass held more water than a short glass.

Idiots.

• Like 1

I wonder if they will replace the whole quarter. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did.

I imagine that's what they would do. I really didn't understand their point about not doing it to the door because they would just reskin it. They'll just replace the rear quarter panel and be done with it. Too much work to straighten it properly and have it look like new.

So.

I'm trying to see if I understand this right.

This clown deliberately hits a brand new pickup with a sledge hammer and accidentally breaks a taillight lens, and then he has the temerity to spend several paragraphs complaining about how much the taillight costs?

I think his complaint was based on the integration of the multiple functions within the taillight.

The second time I hit the truck, the taillight cracked, and even though it still functioned properly we wanted to fix it. Ideally, we'd replace just the broken piece, the lens. Unfortunately, it's permanently mated to the housing and Ford only sells this part as a single unit. What's more, we got our F-150 in the Lariat trim level. That means it's equipped with (amongst other things) a blind-spot monitoring system. The sensors for that system are housed in the taillight and as you might expect, this all led to a higher price for the taillight assembly than previously expected. Much higher.

The price jumped from $106.28 to $887.25. For a taillight.

Without much of a choice, I approved the price increase and thanked the shop for double-checking with me.

The taillight still worked; just cracked.

That said, when faced with an $887 (out of pocket) fix for a simple cracked lens, I think I'd likely seal it with a $4.00 tube of clear silicone.

Maybe when they lose a job as journalists, they blame the readers and not their journalism.

Edited by RangerM

I would love to see a sledge hammer taken to a 2014 F150 for comparison. Just to show the aluminum is probably as tough, maybe tougher.

I can guarantee you the damage would have looked much worse on a '14. The total cost to repair probably would have been the same as they would have to replace the bedside on both, but the thin steel skin on the '14 would not have held up nearly as well.

I think his complaint was based on the integration of the multiple functions within the taillight.

The taillight still worked; just cracked.

That said, when faced with an $887 (out of pocket) fix for a simple cracked lens, I think I'd likely seal it with a $4.00 tube of clear silicone.

Maybe when they lose a job as journalists, they blame the readers and not their journalism.

Oh, I know he was complaining about how the taillight had things like the BLIS sensors in it.

My point is that, when you are doing something incredibly stupid, and you do it with remarkable ineptitude, then you have absolutely no right to grouse about unintended consequences.

Analogy:

I get drunk, and decide to perform a three foot drop test with my brand new 60" HDTV. It does not survive the fall.

Do I have any business complaining that the cost to replace the HDTV is significantly higher than it would be to replace a rear projection TV of that size?