MKS to debut in NY...... and may be rwd

So the question is whether this will replace or compliment the MKS? Along with which platform of course.

IMO I'd rather see the Contential as the top car in the lineup with its history.

But here is the issue...the MKS is an ok car, but once again IMO, the Contential should be a RWD, no compromises Luxury sedan that starts at 40-50K and tops out around 80 or so (think Navigator pricing)...which would leave a sizeable gap between it and MKZ if the MKS went away. However a FWD/AWD Conti based on the CD4 along with the Taurus doesn't have the gravitas, once again IMO to do that....but if there is a Focus based Sedan to slot under the MKZ, the MKZ could shift in price to cover mid-range...

Just had this jump out at me...maybe the next MKZ will be like the ES350....the new ES is based on the Avalon, so maybe the next MKZ will link up with the new Taurus, which is more or less about 75% same as the Fusion?

I am concerned about Lincoln. The new MKC isn't picking up as large of sales as I would like. If the MKX, Continental, Navigator don't pick up more sales, Ford might be better off making high end Platinum models and dump Lincoln. Not that I "want" Lincoln to go away. But I'd say they have 2 more years to straighten this ship out before they need to start making some hard choices whether further investment is the way to go.

The issue is that Lincoln is still rebuilding its lineup and reputation....do keep in mind the MKC is a new product and heck its new customers and is adding volume to Lincoln because its a "white space" product for them.

The problem with Platinum models replacing Lincoln is that next to know one will spend 30K on a Focus (outside of performance models) to get luxury....part of the appeal is that Lincoln and other makes have is snob appeal...and a 30K+ Focus can't do that. Trucks are different...

The issue is that Lincoln is still rebuilding its lineup and reputation....do keep in mind the MKC is a new product and heck its new customers and is adding volume to Lincoln because its a "white space" product for them.

The problem with Platinum models replacing Lincoln is that next to know one will spend 30K on a Focus (outside of performance models) to get luxury....part of the appeal is that Lincoln and other makes have is snob appeal...and a 30K+ Focus can't do that. Trucks are different...

I have a theory on this, when Ford developed the new MKZ, it did it in such a way that the car actually lost a lot of

Fusion's interior room and basically spans large compact and smallish mid sizer - more apparent since new ES arrived.

My suggestion would be to develop a new MKZ based on a lengthened and widened Focus sedan so that

it's more than a "Verano" copy and use CD4 Fusion for MKS mid sizer and CD4 Taurus for Continental.

Edited by jpd80

So the question is whether this will replace or compliment the MKS? Along with which platform of course.

Production starts in 2016 (for 2017 model year) so that still points to CD4.

But we may be in for a surprise... who knows exactly how long Ford was working on D6. :wub:

We inferred the timing of 2018 calendar year intro for D6 based on the first media leak of the D6 SUV program earlier this year. We figured the Explorer mid cycle update (2015 model year) will have at least 3.5 model year shelf life with a short final year, typical of Ford's model cycles, which means the earliest we could see D6 Explorer (or Aviator) was 2018.5 or early 2019 model year.

There is an obvious problem with moving the MKS upward to become worthy of being called a Continental, but stopping shy of making it the RWD/AWD flagship. This would make it necessary to price the latter car into the eyewaterring territory of the 7-Series. If they don't take the RWD flagship that high, then the Conti can't be much more than Lincoln's me-too version of the XTS.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

I doubt you'll see much more than the current 3.5L EB power numbers in a transverse setup.

why not? The current system and transmission can take more power...and id assume that the new RS system could possibly take more then that

I could see a bump to 400hp with no problem

Whatever the new Continental is, it needs to be a complete game-changer, just as the Fourth Generation Continental in the early-1960's was. Its decidedly-understated elegance stood in stark contrast to Harley Earl's over-chromed bling at GM. It took conventional American Luxury car thinking and turned it on its head.

I'm not exactly sure how to do that in today's market. But I hope Ford has a vision for this car. They very clearly know how to pull of the unveiling of a halo car-- witness that of the new Ford GT just over a month ago.

Edited by calypsocoral

Except I think this one may be primarily for the Chinese market. If there is going to be a flagship sedan that may be a couple of years away on CD6.

The only bad thing is that the Continental is only real Lincoln nameplate that would be worthwhile to use on the Flagship car IMO. Is Ford going to call it a MKS? LOL