Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

silvrsvt

Ford Performance 3.5L V6 Ecoboost is all new

It sounds like the 2017 Raptor will get it along with the 10 speed auto.

It sounds like the 2017 Raptor will get it along with the 10 speed auto.

Yeah, we know that - he was asking if the "gen 2" version it would trickle down to the rest of the F-150 lineup.

Yeah, we know that - he was asking if the "gen 2" version it would trickle down to the rest of the F-150 lineup.

My money says yes based on the precedent that Gen II EB20 is introduced in the new Edge. EB15 is Gen II and so is EB10.

Yeah, i'm sure they will when they're ready, considering Ford doesn't always couple the product launch with powertrain launch anymore.

What's also not being mentioned is that along with the already 700 lb weight reduction,

the Ecoboost V6 is another 300 lbs lighter than the 6.2 Boss.

That makes 1,000 lbs difference. More power, more torque and a lot less weight = brilliant.

Now where's GM's answer, get that LT1 8-speed combo into Silverado and let's play.

^ I read it was a 500lb total savings over this years Raptor. "Ford claims the new Raptor is more than 500 pounds lighter than the previous model. Like the regular 2015 F-150, the new F-150 Raptor’s body panels are “forged from high-strength, military-grade aluminum alloy.”

Edited by Hydro

I'd also read the frame was significantly beefed-up. (added weight?)

Don't know if that's Raptor-specific or not.

What I was implying was that when the Raptor gets it for MY2017, the rest of the F-150 lineup will probably get it too, just with less HP.

^ I read it was a 500lb total savings over this years Raptor. "Ford claims the new Raptor is more than 500 pounds lighter than the previous model. Like the regular 2015 F-150, the new F-150 Raptor’s body panels are “forged from high-strength, military-grade aluminum alloy.”

I read that too Hydro.....apparently, the writers over at Motor Trend cannot comprehend the difference between a forged part versus a stamped part....but it sure sounds good in the article....lol

As my wife or daughter would say - "You know what I meant!"......

Did anyone notice that it has port AND direct injection? Rather interesting...

I wonder if that's at least partially to fix the problem of carbon buildup on the back of the valves that seems to occur with DI only engines?

It probably allows them to more easily keep up with fuel needs at higher boost and probably cools the intake charge at the same time.

I wonder if that's at least partially to fix the problem of carbon buildup on the back of the valves that seems to occur with DI only engines?

That was my thinking. Maybe this is only for the HO version as well, so this:

It probably allows them to more easily keep up with fuel needs at higher boost and probably cools the intake charge at the same time.

would make perfect sense.

This needs to go into a lighter SHO, 425hp+ or just retire the name.

I guess part of that is a product of it only being a SuperCab model. I'd venture to guess that the SuperCrew model (which I assume would make a return) - just like the regular F-150 models - would get a 700lb weight loss too since there's more weight to lose in a heavier truck.

What I was implying was that when the Raptor gets it for MY2017, the rest of the F-150 lineup will probably get it too, just with less HP.

Yeah, I gotcha.

This needs to go into a lighter SHO, 425hp+ or just retire the name.

Why in the world do you think that?

I wonder if this version is based on the Ethanol Boosting research done a few years ago.

I wonder if this version is based on the Ethanol Boosting research done a few years ago.

You betcha !

Highly doubtful that it will see the light of "production" !

I would be curious to know if the block is aluminum or CGI.

I would be curious to know if the block is aluminum or CGI.

I was wondering the same. I'm guessing CGI with lessons learned from the 2.7L? But if it was CGI, I would think they would have mentioned that.

They might not want to talk about that at this time as to not hurt current sales.

I was wondering the same. I'm guessing CGI with lessons learned from the 2.7L? But if it was CGI, I would think they would have mentioned that.

i cannot see how they got that much power out the 3.5 without using CGI.

I would have thought this would have been an evolution of the 2.7 with a Longer stroke and bore, but the 2.7's bore centers are too tight for easy increases in displacement.which leads to and all new Block and head.

so i guess we will see how far they are going with the New 3.5.

Doesn't the 2016 F150 Limited get the new EB 3.5L?

No - I think it debuts with the 2017 Raptor.