2012 Fiesta wants a 3rd transmission

MountainLion

My wife bought a 2012 Fiesta new and at 21,000 miles the automatic transmission was consistently shuddering into 2nd gear once the car was up to temperature. The dealership found that a seal was improperly installed and rebuilt the transmission, replacing the 2-4-6 clutch amongst other things, under warranty. Well now she has 61,000 miles on it and it is now shuddering from takeoff, into 2nd, and into 3rd once the car is warm. At this point I doubt that another rebuild will last. What are the chances of getting Ford to pick up some (or all) of the cost for a 3rd transmission?

The DPoS6 is an automatically shifted manual transmission. They cannot replace a single clutch as both the clutches are housed in an assembly. I would bet the farm that the transmission was leaking from the input shaft seals, and it contaminated the clutch assembly. I am unsure as to why they would have rebuilt the transmission as the transmission itself is fairly robust. Any contaminant on the clutch will cause shudder. Engine oil, transmission fluid, water, coolant, grease from the throw out bearing, excessive underhood cleaners and shines, and even a build up of the dust created through the normal wear of the clutches will cause shudder. There is a possibility that the seals were not replaced with the new 'brown' seals and/or the clutch is not an E/F suffix clutch. If not, the seals WILL leak and WILL cause shudder. There is also a possibility that the leaking transmission seals damaged the seals on the throw out bearing, which allowed the old throw out to cover your new clutch in grease. You may need the clutch cleaned or another new clutch, which FSA 14M01 will cover. Depending on the date as well, you may not have the latest software which dramatically reduces shudder.

Also, if the contaminant is water, the apply levers can rust and hang up, causing shudder and excessive clutch wear.

MKII, the TSB has been revised to use the new 'time saver' tool, new seal kits and cut the technician's pay for the job. The new TSB number is 14-0197.

• Like 1

I would bet the farm that the transmission was leaking from the input shaft seals, and it contaminated the clutch assembly.

That's exactly what happened the first time. Thanks for all the information guys - hopefully it will make things go more smoothly when we get around to taking it in again.