Just in case anyone was wondering what the appearce package looked like

Looks like they just made the Limited's chrome thicker and gave it a firm mesh grille; I think it looks okay.

The only real benefit to this is that it makes the headlights look a lot less bulbous.

It's tacky. At least you can get sat. radio now.

Side rant: Why in the hell did they NOT paint the shark fins on those cars. Argh! Better yet, ditch that friggin radio antenna.

I don't think the people it's marketed to care a lot about looks.

If I was preessed for an opinion, I don't like the looks of our Montego's front end, but basically don't really care as long as it's aero good.

Mostly just interested in engineering aspects. Quality build, gadgets, ride, interior comfort, and of course fuel economy. Even 3.0 engine OK wih me (and most everyone else I know who has these cars).

I have seen one of these 500 at a dealer lot. It doesn't look too bad. I do, however, agree that the 500 is in need of a styling refresh. I mean there's nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't really invoke any sort of emotion when I look at one. Which is really too bad, I really like everything else about the 500, especially the CVT.

Likewise, whenever I look at a Chrysler 300, it invokes my gag reflex. I hope Ford doesn't go that route with the 08 Five Hundred, Montego and the refreshed Freestyle.

Also, in reguards to Ralph's post: Ford is marketing the 500? I haven't seen any sort of advertisement for it since it debuted. I certainly hope that Ford's "wonderful" marketing gets off their asses and follows through on the advertising compaign when the refreshed D3's come out.

Edited by rsgnome

I'm not exactly sure what type of national promotion Ford is doing on the Five-Hundred either, because I don't know what everybody else sees. I do remember when the car first came out, Ford was advertising the nighttime city streets commercial with the Five-Hundred driving between obscured spinning cars (seems like they were BMWs) while the Ford maintained composure and the cabin was quiet. Obviously, Ford intended for the car to be viewed as poised and refined. The Mercury spots I remember for the Montego was for the AWD version and the weather man who couldn't get his forecast right. In the end, you see him driving a Montego. Lately, I don't recall any TV ads except for those year-end clearance incentive deals. Its like Ford has already decided to set the car on cruise until they can get the new engine and new facelift.

I do see Fusion commercials occasionally. Personally, from my own perspective, I don't think Ford chooses the right genre to advertise within and they don't advertise enough. Ford has been a sponsor of American Idol for sometime and appropriately used cars like Focus, Fusion and Mustang primarily. Another favorite is to push their trucks during televised sports events (especially NFL) but rarely do you see them hit where its needed. If I were on their marketing team, I'd want to try to get as much exposure in the right elements at the right times. One such way IMO is when you have a brand new product, put significant emphasis on the product by doing things like working out sole sponsorship for a network television premiere of some big movie. There are so many visible means to get your product seen by the public but you have to pony up to do it.

Just my opinion, but the phrase "bad boy" does not belong in any conversation involving the Ford 500.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

You got me there, I have absolutely no response to that one!!!

Although, it would be sweet if Ford lets Shelby get ahold of some of these to turn into 427's...