Lincoln's "Way Forward" - It's not as tough as they think

O.K. - so those of us who are die-hard Lincoln enthusiasts are really being put to the test, what with the line-up as is, the possibility of the demise of a big sedan (flagship), the potential gutting of the MKS and so on. I have my own ideas as to how I would resurrect Lincoln, many of which are constrained by a severe lack of budget (I know... but it doesn't cost anything to dream and besides, it's fun).

What Lincoln severely needs is cars that will generate some real showroom traffic and press buzz. I'm very interested to see what everyone here would do, if in charge and given total autonomy to bring this brand around. Just have some fun with this :D

For my part - this is (over time) what I think would work... First off, I'd do away almost completely with the stupid "alphabet soup" nomenclature. Real cars deserve real names. Hell even macaroni and cheese and toilet bowl cleaner are given the respect of a real name.

The Lineup:

MKZ - Leave it the Zephyr and just continue to refine this package before an evolutionary restyle in '09.

MKX - Go forward with the name "Aviator" and re-do the nose so it has a similar front to the Zephyr.

MKS - I'd leave this one alone, name-wise but get V-8 availability under the hood, even if it meant sending the thing back to the drawing board and delaying intro for a year. New launches need to be done to perfection - consistently. (HR series with TT 3.5L and AWD)

Continental - based on the Panther platform, this car would pick up styling cues from the Mercedes CLS, fused with Lincoln's trademark grille and center opening doors. V-8 and V-12 (HR series) power, a tiptronic type transmission. Inside, top leathers, real wood - outside, serious rolling stock and style to burn.

Town Car - based on the stretch ( Town Car "L") Panther platform and grabbing the style of the Continental Show Car from a few years ago this would be an unashamedly American, full size luxury sedan in a classic yet contemporary package. 5.4 V-8 in excess of 350 hp, V-12 optional.

Continental Mark IX - Based on the Mustang GT, this car would be similar in profile to the BMW 6-series Coupe, but also available as a convertible. Make an HR series with 400 hp+ and also make a manual transmission available in both the base and HR.

Navigator, Navigator L and Mark LT - Gone.

OK - so let's see what everyone else comes up with here and remember - have fun with it!

Edited by KinneticBrian

One thing I think Lincoln really needs (as well as Ford & Mercury) is high performance version of just about every model to cater to the enthusiasts. I believe catering to enthusiasts creates a buzz that marketing & advertising just can’t produce. For example, the Taurus SHO made the Taurus a cool car, he Mustang GT & Cobra makes the Mustang a cool car, etc. With this said, here is Lincoln’s lineup according to me:

Sedans/Coupes

MKZ (Sedan & Coupe) – Leave as is (I like the EM-KAY naming scheme) and also offer a sporty version with a TT-V6, AWD & 6 Speed manual and market it under an SVT like banner (like Caddy’s “Vâ€, BMW’s “M†or Jaguar’s “Type Râ€)

MKS (Sedan Only) – Build it like the drawing shows, but offer it with standard AWD and a bigger version of the Duratec35. Like the above MKZ, offer a sporty version with a Duratec35 based V8, AWD & 6 Speed manual.

MKC (Coupe & Convertible) – Based on the future Ford global RWD platform. RWD and IRS with the bigger version of the Duratec35 standard and optional Hurricane V8’s, 6 Speed manual & auto and maybe even AWD.

Continental (Large Sedan) – Also based on the future Ford global RWD platform. RWD and IRS with Hurricane V8 standard, 6 speed auto tranny’s and maybe even AWD. Maybe even an optional V10 or V12. This will be Lincoln’s flagship with every bell & whistle available.

MarkTC or Town Car (Large Fleet Only Sedan) – Based on the LWB panther with the 3V 4.6L and maybe an optional diesel. This should be sold only for executive transportation, limos, etc. as long as it’s making money. Once it stops making money, cancel it.

Crossovers/SUVs/Trucks

MKX (2 Row Crossover) – Keep as is with maybe a future sporty version.

MK? (3 Row Crossover) – Based on D3 architecture. It will be AWD only and need a 300HP V6 standard and an optional V8.

Navigator/Navigator L (Full Size SUV) – Keep as is pretty much, except redesign the ghastly front end. Also offer the Hurricane V8 as standard and possibly a V10, V12 and/or diesel as options. This vehicle is big and shouldn’t be ashamed of it. It will get shitty gas mileage and be expensive to own and operate. It needs to be as luxurious as possible and offer every bell & whistle. It should also have a crazy high tow rating to be able to tow those ridiculously heavy and expensive Airstream travel trailers. Lincoln should make less of them and sell them without incentives to people that really want them.

MarkLT (Full Size Pickup) – The 2009 version should cover any of the shortcomings of the current version. It should also offer the Hurricane V8 as standard and possibly a V10, V12 and/or diesel as options. See above notes on the Navigator, it applies to this vehicle as well.

These 8 or 9 models should have the American luxury market covered. Anything it doesn’t cover, let Mercury have (like a “people moverâ€, B & C car, B & C suv, C based 3 row “people moverâ€, etc.). Lincoln should not compete with Mercury. Mercury should compliment Lincoln’s luxury offering by offering unique products (perhaps based on some FoE, Mazda and/or Volvo vehicles) & mid-luxury versions of Ford vehicles. Obviously, I’m no expert. But in my world, the above would be a perfect scenario for Lincoln.

Why on earth would you cancel the Navigator? It is by far the most profitable Lincoln in the lineup, and likely one of the most profitable Ford Motor Company vehicles period.

Sure, they kinda made it a little ugly, but it should still be highly profitable.

And personally, I see nothing wrong with the absense of a V8 in the MKS if a forced induction V6 can do a better job. Would you rather have a tepid 315 HP V8 than a 350 HP TT V6 simply for the sake of being able to put a "V8" badge on it? That's silly.

I also won't cry to see the Town Car name disappear. I never liked it. I never will. Bringing back the Continental name would ring well in my ears though. And I agree on the Mark IX.

My ideas are generally close as well, with the main difference being leaving the names as-is:

Some more ideas:

Lincoln Blackwood- Sports sedan based on the 2009 Mustang chassis (and I think that name sounds damned cool). About the same size as the Zephyr, but much more sports oriented, with short overhangs, and a standard 290hp 3.5L V6, with a choice of manual or 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters. 5.0L, 400hp V8 could be in the cards, but not neccesary. Priced around 35k-40k with options, with the V8 being a very low-volume design by SVT.

Lincoln Mark 9- The mechanical twin and built alongside the Blackwood, with swoopy styling and same powertrains, as well as a convertible model. Priced around 38-45k with options, and meant to get people in the door.

Lincoln Continental- Lincoln should go traditional with this model, and target the Escalade head on. It should be a very low-volume design (maybe 1,500 per year), and serve as a halo car for Lincoln. Base it on the Town Car chassis (only slightly widened and lengthened), and sling on a big, squared-off body insipred by the 1961 model around 230" in length. Standard 20" rims, with 3 dealer installed options for 22" rims. Interior swathed in leather and real metal buttons on the corporate hardware. Enough room for 3 people in each row comfortably, with the middle seat in the front row being able to flip up into a center console. Every luxury feature in all of Ford's product portfolios. Hardtop and convertible versions. A standard 7.0L version of the Boss V8, tuned with 400+ horsepower yet still getting 15+ mpg on the highway. Priced at $60,000, period.

Why on earth would you cancel the Navigator? It is by far the most profitable Lincoln in the lineup, and likely one of the most profitable Ford Motor Company vehicles period.

Sure, they kinda made it a little ugly, but it should still be highly profitable.

And personally, I see nothing wrong with the absense of a V8 in the MKS if a forced induction V6 can do a better job. Would you rather have a tepid 315 HP V8 than a 350 HP TT V6 simply for the sake of being able to put a "V8" badge on it? That's silly.

I also won't cry to see the Town Car name disappear. I never liked it. I never will. Bringing back the Continental name would ring well in my ears though. And I agree on the Mark IX.

Personally Nick, I'd buy an MKS regardless of the engine if it were a competent performer. I'm not one that's stuck on a V-8 or lack thereof being a "deal-breaker". But from an image and marketing standpoint there are way too many who don't look at it that way. I think it's funny that back in the late 80's, a 3800 series V-6 Park Avenue would blow the doors off of a 5.0 L Cadillac Brougham - yet - people assumed the Park Avenue was not a competent performer because it lacked two cyls. My comment on the MKS was more from a gross market perspective and less from a personal one. I also am not one who bases overall performance on straight line accelleration, but on a smooth, seamless balance of power and handling.

To see the Town Car name disappear wouldn't be a bad thing either. Although I own one, which I love - the name is a bit silly, especially given that it is not a "town car" in the coachbuilders sense. Moreover, seeing the ugly "Town Victoria" of today vanish in favor of a more contemporary flagship sedan is much needed to turn this brand around.

My only reason for axing the Nav, Nav L and Mark LT is to try to restore the brand of Lincoln to being a car maker and not a truck maker. With 3$ a gallon gas, these dinosaurs have outlived their usefulness - IMHO.

My only reason for axing the Nav, Nav L and Mark LT is to try to restore the brand of Lincoln to being a car maker and not a truck maker. With 3$ a gallon gas, these dinosaurs have outlived their usefulness - IMHO.

but they still sell and make money for Ford...why kill something that costs very little to do yet makes money for you?

I'm a sucker for these things. Here's a short version of mine.

fwd/awd

MkZep: ok for now. Next-gen maybe stretch the sedan on the MkX wheelbase and build a coupe on the regular wlb.

MkS: waiting to hear the "later this week" engine announcement; v6tt = very small niche! Actually, there's a lot I never understood about this car. Longer than the LS(or 500/Montego)=bad for sport, but not quite big enought to match the next Lexoid-LS... If the D3/E3/D4 platform really is flexible, find a way to make alternatives* to the 300 (MkR) and the Lexus (MkS) (* not quite the same as a direct competitor/copycat).

MkX: fine but still prefer the Aviator name

rwd

HRL: Mustang-based cabriolet-hard'vert

Panther*: yada yada & SIGH

Limousine*: old TC body or CV+grillework (no retail version)

(* use these as Names!)

suv/truck

Navigator & MkLT: ok for now

doubtful -

MkPP: peoplemover

MkLong: E386 sedan (as a 'Flagship'?)

Why, in the name of God, would anyone even considere a future model based on the Panther?...

For me the panther platform isn't a future ideal but with a little attention paid to it, COULD be viable/profitable until something deserving of 'Flagship' status is developed (asap). Then I'd keep "Panther" for the Flagship's name and save Continental for a moderately smaller, CLS-ish platform-mate (suitable for export).

Edited by 2b2

Some more ideas:

Lincoln Blackwood- Sports sedan based on the 2009 Mustang chassis (and I think that name sounds damned cool). About the same size as the Zephyr, but much more sports oriented, with short overhangs, and a standard 290hp 3.5L V6, with a choice of manual or 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters. 5.0L, 400hp V8 could be in the cards, but not neccesary. Priced around 35k-40k with options, with the V8 being a very low-volume design by SVT.

Lincoln Mark 9- The mechanical twin and built alongside the Blackwood, with swoopy styling and same powertrains, as well as a convertible model. Priced around 38-45k with options, and meant to get people in the door.

wescoent, I'm not clear on the differences between these. Care to explain?

and

ummm... did you mean DTS or ___?

QUOTE...Lincoln Continental- Lincoln should go traditional with this model, and target the Escalade head on...

wescoent, I'm not clear on the differences between these. Care to explain?

and

ummm... did you mean DTS or ___?

QUOTE...Lincoln Continental- Lincoln should go traditional with this model, and target the Escalade head on...

Oh no, I meant Escalade. Big, chrome-laden marshmallow barge for the rappers and people who look to them for style.

Oh no, I meant Escalade. Big, chrome-laden marshmallow barge for the rappers and people who look to them for style.

A Continental truck? That just doesn't sound right. I would prefer they stay true to the Continental name and build something like the concept car with the '61-'64 styling heritage. I am not sure the rapper market is all that big but I do see a lot of early '60s Lincolns in videos.

I like the fact that Lincoln is getting away from the old names like Cadillac did. To the younger generation, Continental and Town Car = church potluck cruiser.

The Mark, however, I think is a good idea because the Marks always were known for style and speed. So if I ran Lincoln I would have:

MKZ - obviously working out well for Lincoln. Keep as is:

MKS - Offer it as Chrysler does the 300 with a range of engine and luxury options.

MKX - wait and see.

Navigator - Keep as is for now.

MKC - based on the Panther. There is still a market for the big cushy cars so as long as the platform is still being used, might as well fill this market segment.

Mark IX - coupe and convertible based on the Mustang but utilizing some of the touches of the previous Marks. Must be a retractable.

BTW - whatever happened to this?

lincoln_mark_x.jpg

markx.jpg

Drop Mark LT - didn't Lincoln learn anything from the Blackwood? :doh:

Drop Mark LT - didn't Lincoln learn anything from the Blackwood? :doh:

Except the Mark LT is selling in adequate enough numbers to make it feasible and at least break-even if not profitable. It's quite different in execution and functionality from the Blackwood. It's actually...well....a truck.