Mecedes Metris (Vito) coming to the US; will Ford respond with Transit Custom?

Yes, somewhat of a rhetorical question regarding Ford because I think Mercedes is actually targeting the Transit Connect with the new Metris because it doesn't have a compact van of its own (it sells a rebadged Renault Kangoo in Europe). So they are going to sell a midsize van with tiny diesel engine to try to compete with Transit Connect. Not sure what MSRP will be but interesting development in the van market nonetheless.

But let say Metris sales prove that there is a market for midsize vans in the US, I wonder if Ford will actually consider selling the Transit Custom here? The only midsize van offering since the demise of Chevy Astro has been Ram C/V and it is a compromised commercial van because of its minivan roots.

Mercedes will sell two version of Metris here:

1.6 diesel FWD (compete with Transit Connect?)

2.1 diesel RWD (compete with Ram C/V?)

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/05/mercedes-benz-midsize-metris-van-sema-2014/

mercedes-benz-metris-sema.jpg

Edited by bzcat

Is it? The Transit is rather large, no?

Transit is large but Transit Custom is midsize.

Ford sells 4 different Transits in 8 different lengths:

Subcompact

Transit Courier

Compact

Transit Connect SWB

Transit Connect LWB

Midsize

Transit Custom SWB

Transit Custom LWB

Fullsize

Transit SWB

Transit LWB

Transit extended LWB

we dont get Transit Custom, our Transit is similar dimensionally as the Sprinter....

I guess I never realized that the Transit Custom was a midsize. I always thought it was the passenger version of the Transit.

Yeah, because I've seen the Transits and knew they were like an E-Series or Sprinter. Now it makes much more sense! Haha.
---
Now that I'm on the same page, I'd say that Ford would probably wait to get the Transit fully launched before worrying about the Custom. That said, if they have enough production capacity, maybe they could ship a hand full of them over like they did with the Connect and gauge potential interest. They probably don't want to take sales from the Transit, though.

I guess I never realized that the Transit Custom was a midsize. I always thought it was the passenger version of the Transit.

Yeah, because I've seen the Transits and knew they were like an E-Series or Sprinter. Now it makes much more sense! Haha.
---
Now that I'm on the same page, I'd say that Ford would probably wait to get the Transit fully launched before worrying about the Custom. That said, if they have enough production capacity, maybe they could ship a hand full of them over like they did with the Connect and gauge potential interest. They probably don't want to take sales from the Transit, though.

parts commonality between the Tranist and transit custom is very high, meaning they have the same interiors, doors, side panel, ladder frame, same tooling, ETC. it is just the FWD version of the transit with a shorter nose.

the market for it is for customers that need to carry volume not mass, and those customer who need better MPGs.

the Eco-boost 2.0 would be a logical choice for the Transit Custom.

An interesting idea is what about bringing it to do battle with Mercedes as a Lincoln? Can be brought in with small volume and it can be the successor to MKT....give it the Vignale treatment and call it a day....I am thinking that Mercedes will sell some but it will not be a volume model either..

I don't see it helping Lincoln at all.

Mercedes is aiming this for the commercial market. A market which Ford to all intents and purposes owns.

Doesn't this thing look too Mercedes? This thing looks like it would better compete with a loaded Sienna/Oddyssey than a TC.

If they're targeting commercial so much maybe they should have made them Freightliners?

That's not what Mercedes is doing now.

They seem bent on becoming a full line brand here as they are in Germany:

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/

The problem they'll run into stateside is, basically, the blue oval.

They offer no compelling reason to switch--unless you, as a fleet manager, want to purchase a vehicle that is more expensive up front and more expensive to maintain, with a minuscule dealer network and sales reps that know the business about as well as they can speak Urdu.

Edited by RichardJensen

They seem to be wanting to fill every market segment with something. Here in Canada the B-class is everywhere and the C-class isn't far behind. I'm not sure the brand is keeping the interest it was once known for. It's hard to be something special when everyone buys the brand because of the lower segments. They aren't alone. There are other German automakers trying to be everything to everyone.

If so many have the brand, then the exclusivity fails.

Edited by LincolnV

It's hard to be something special when everyone buys the brand because of the lower segments. They aren't alone. There are other German automakers trying to be everything to everyone.

If so many have the brand, then the exclusivity fails.

The problem is that CAFE requirements are driving them to do this...they sell too many products to be except from it.

As to a midsize van, a florist shop I always drive by has an old Chevy Astro van and a 2013 Transit Connect. Parked side by side they have nearly the same form factor, length, width, and height. The 2015 Transit Connect LWB will easily replace an Astro. I do not see the need for a new mid size van. There is not that much of a jump from the Transit Connect LWB to the Transit short body/low roof.

• Like 1

As to a midsize van, a florist shop I always drive by has an old Chevy Astro van and a 2013 Transit Connect. Parked side by side they have nearly the same form factor, length, width, and height. The 2015 Transit Connect LWB will easily replace an Astro. I do not see the need for a new mid size van. There is not that much of a jump from the Transit Connect LWB to the Transit short body/low roof.

Good point. I sure hadn't considered it

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/

The problem they'll run into stateside is, basically, the blue oval.

They offer no compelling reason to switch--unless you, as a fleet manager, want to purchase a vehicle that is more expensive up front and more expensive to maintain, with a minuscule dealer network and sales reps that know the business about as well as they can speak Urdu.

on the $ Richard...we are having NO issues getting conquest sales on the Full size Transit from either people WITH Sprinter experience, or Sprinter cross shoppers. This particular unit though is aimed more at passenger rather than cargo variants, and truth be told is probably a better all rounder than the 7 passenger Transit Connect. That said at how much more $$$$$

Doesn't this thing look too Mercedes? This thing looks like it would better compete with a loaded Sienna/Oddyssey than a TC.

If they're targeting commercial so much maybe they should have made them Freightliners?

Mercedes dealers won't be selling the Metris van. Mercedes Commercial dealer network will be doing the sales.

Diamler set up a new division this year to handle Sprinter and Metris distribution in the US. MB Commercial USA will report directly to Daimler in Germany, bypassing the existing MBUSA car sales and marketing division. The existing Sprinter dealers (which are only a subset of all Mercedes dealers) will be rebranded Mercedes Commercial dealers.

http://fleetowner.com/equipment/daimler-sharpens-focus-us-van-market

Freightliner is fleet sale only and they may very well get a version of Metris just like they do with Sprinter. But they are targeting a completely different market segment.

Basically, it will go like this for Metris and Spritner:

Mercedes Commercial - cargo van retail and fleet sale; passenger van fleet sale

Mercedes - passenger van retail sale only - right now only Sprinter, but V-Class (luxury version of Metris with completely different interior) is under consideration.

Freight liner - national account fleet sale only

Edited by bzcat