Social Responsibility with Neighbors to the South

After thinking of the considerable investments FOMOCO has in Mexico, I believe future and existing investments should be reconsidered. Anyone that has not been living in a cave the last 10 years should realize that the common threads linking our two Countries are growing increasingly weak.

I suspect the original investment in Mexico was based on "cheap labor"... reasoning that had considerable merit at the time. However, recent events within the Mexican government must leave a person wondering why our Company chooses to do any business in a country so far astray from the beliefs and morality of the U.S..

To mention a few; the recent release of our brave Marine sargent that inadvertently strayed across the border, the thousands of south american children that used Mexico as their border entry point for illeagly entering the U.S., the flood of drugs that continue from the South into our Country, gang violence, active terrorism going unmonitored, ......etc.

Why are we still doing any business within the borders of this country ? I am not suggesting we immediately close all plants, but I am suggesting we consider additional criteria before any new economic expansion south of our border. Less expensive labor is now available in the U.S., our Unions have granted considerable concessions in the current economic climate, MI. is even a "right to work state"!

I, for one consumer, will no longer knowingly purchase a a FOMOCO product produced in Mexico.....they have seen the last of my tourism/vacation dollars etc.. We all have/had an affiliation with a great employer and my wish is not to penalize Ford Motor; however, I do believe our Company should/must reconsider operating in a country whose values are so different from those of our own....it is the Right Thing To Do.

• 4 months later...

Those employees are likely not moonlighting as runners of various contraband. And I'll guess they are not officeholders, since governmental salary+graft is surely more lucrative than a line job. I'd even venture a guess they probably help anchor their community by having something worthwhile for employment and employer. Suppose Ford did close those plants. Would it be reasonable to presume the former employees might turn to crime? Trespass into this country illegally? Ford move production to another third-world nation?

Believe me, I hate the flow of drugs and wetbacks into this country, and policies that ignore or pay lip service to the metaphorical elephant in the room. But punishing those that are working and unaccountable for the sins of others isn't reasonable.

Mexico's growth as a manufacturing base has been rising for many years, not just in car factories. They're well on the way to becoming the 'new China'. You might not like Mexican assembled vehicles, but I bet it's hard to find a car built today in the US that doesn't have any Mexican built parts or components at all.