'14 Fusion Headliner Issue (not wrinkle issue)

cfvol

First time poster with a question for the board.

I am leasing a '14 Fusion, vehicle has @ 10k miles on it currently. Some time ago I started noticing my headliner rattling (just behind the sunroof on the drivers side). I would push up and the rattle would go away. Next the rattling started in front of the sunroof, same deal, push in and it would stop. After awhile you could push up and then it sounded like the adhesive was letting go (almost like velcro separating) and the rattle persisted. Now when you push up it just drops back down, so essentially the headliner has separated from the roof of the vehicle.

Took the car in on a Friday and picked it up on Saturday with the dealer telling me it was fixed. Wrong. Took it back in the following Wednesday and received a much different answer. I was told this is a known issue for vehicles produced at the Flat Rock plant. Ford engineering is aware of the issue, but they have no fix or estimated time for a fix. Evidently installing a new headliner will not correct the issue. Finally, I was told to be patient and somebody from Ford will call me when they are able to correct the issue.

Is anybody out there experiencing the same issue and receiving the same message from their dealership?

I searched the Fusion forum for this subject and didn't find anything so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Edited by cfvol

SSM 44717 - 2013-2014 Fusions Built At FlatRock Assembly Plant - Headliner Sag In Various Locations

Some 2013-2014 Fusion vehicles built at the Flatrock Assembly Plant may exhibitvarious headliner concerns such as a sag of the headliner at the center high mounted stop lamp, sag at one or more door opening, or a sag around the roof opening panel. Unless the headliner is obstructing the driver's view or passenger comfort, do not replace the headliner at this time. Engineering is currently investigating this concern. Continue to monitor Oasis for further repair direction.

We had a headliner rattle issue. There was a broken clip. The dealer removed the headliner, replaced the clip and the issue was solved. This was in the black Fusion Hybrid.

Has the dealer checked all the clips to make sure that the source of the problem isn't a broken clip?

Edited by hybridbear

According to the dealership, yes. I have been asked to be patient until a fix is found, but riding around in this rattle trap is getting old quick. Is anyone else dealing with this issue and being told the same thing by their dealership?

• 1 month later...

Same thing I have received. Purchased car end of July. Went to Dealership and was told there was a SSB that Ford Engineering was looking into.

I think Ford is trying not to replace headliners that were A) Cut too short (or thin) to stay properly seated im their clips (if they have them) and dealerships struggle with installing new headliners properly!

This seems to have been a problem with Fusions built at Flat Rock Assembly.

I think many of us are frustrated at the lack of communication between Ford and its customer base!

• 3 months later...

Update 4/3/15

Took vehicle in for oil change and had them look at headliner for third time. Ford had the dealer drop the headliner and apply some sort of adhesive to the entire ceiling of vehicle. I will keep this thread updated on status.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...