Jump to content

New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

  • Custom Search


PREMiERdrum

Jalopnik: RWD Lincoln coming, and it's a crossover

Recommended Posts

Are 40-50k a year sales going to make it profitable?

 

I think 60k US sales of the Expy is a reasonable estimate, add on, akirby's 25k for the Aviator, and, say 15k Navigator sales, all (IMO) conservative US-only estimates, and you've got a lot of incremental volume to pay for the added cost of the Explorer's powertrain. You'd be adding, say, 50k units of profit in the US that could go a long way toward offsetting costs in the Explorer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask Motor Trend, C&D, or consumer report, they will be more than happy to tell you everything about how the GC is far beyond the competition in every way but fuel economy

 

Not showing up in the monthly sales reports. I'm not sure how heavily it's discounted, but I don't expect it to outsell the new Edge, and the new Edge should be more profitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, if the vehicle is sold for a high enough price.

 

How do you think luxury makes stay in busyness with such low volumes....... they charge more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 60k US sales of the Expy is a reasonable estimate, add on, akirby's 25k for the Aviator, and, say 15k Navigator sales, all (IMO) conservative US-only estimates, and you've got a lot of incremental volume to pay for the added cost of the Explorer's powertrain. You'd be adding, say, 50k units of profit in the US that could go a long way toward offsetting costs in the Explorer.

You do realize you are not an expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, if the vehicle is sold for a high enough price.

 

How do you think luxury makes stay in busyness with such low volumes....... they charge more.

 

They also 'grandfather's axe' their platforms. Wholesale platform replacements a la the XJ are rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do realize you are not an expert.

 

You don't have to be an expert to understand that adding cost without adding revenue is a bad idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thought I'd bump this thread from 2014 where the RWD Explorer and Aviator were confirmed.   It's really interesting to read all the comments from back then knowing what we know today.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being the fan of a brand is unsettlingly like being the fan of a sports team...complete with all the peaks and valleys, love/hate relationships with various coaches and players, and occasionally looking back at previous eras with new eyes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZanatWork said:

Being the fan of a brand is unsettlingly like being the fan of a sports team...complete with all the peaks and valleys, love/hate relationships with various coaches and players, and occasionally looking back at previous eras with new eyes....

Browns Fan. Indians Fan. Blue Jackets Fan. Can relate. 

(Only the Buckeyes give me some degree of certainty...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Browns Fan. Indians Fan. Blue Jackets Fan. Can relate. 

(Only the Buckeyes give me some degree of certainty...)

ahem

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5637289

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when I was a kid in New England wishing the Sox could win a world series and the Pats could have better than a 4 and 12 season.

EDIT- My point is not to brag, but tell everyone who picks on the Browns and other sports teams to cut it out and  that teams that may not be doing well now, to never give up. They may be the next champions.

Edited by atomcat68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

I remember when I was a kid in New England wishing the Sox could win a world series and the Pats could have better than a 4 and 12 season.

EDIT- My point is not to brag, but tell everyone who picks on the Browns and other sports teams to cut it out and  that teams that may not be doing well now, to never give up. They may be the next champions.

The Lions will never in my lifetime even MAKE it to the super bowl. 

At least every now and then the Tigers are good and the Red Wings are still an A+ organization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The Lions will never in my lifetime even MAKE it to the super bowl. 

At least every now and then the Tigers are good and the Red Wings are still an A+ organization. 

Never say never, after all they did beat the Super bowl winner in the regular season. The pieces are in place, they just have to figure out how to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Never say never, after all they did beat the Super bowl winner in the regular season. The pieces are in place, they just have to figure out how to use them.

Hate to break it to you, but no they aren't. Its always 1 step forward 2 steps back with that team 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The Lions will never in my lifetime even MAKE it to the super bowl. 

At least every now and then the Tigers are good and the Red Wings are still an A+ organization. 

There's very little good I can say about aging, but having a long memory is one positive thing.  I can still picture the front page of the Detroit News proudly stating "Lions win Championship!"  This was back in 1957.  The big, black, block letters took up the top 1/4 of the first page. 

Agree with you on the Red Wings, an A+ team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mackinaw said:

There's very little good I can say about aging, but having a long memory is one positive thing.  I can still picture the front page of the Detroit News proudly stating "Lions win Championship!"  This was back in 1957.  The big, black, block letters took up the top 1/4 of the first page. 

Agree with you on the Red Wings, an A+ team.

They’re rebuilding so they're not very good now but they should be back on the upswing sooner rather than later 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re rebuilding so they're not very good now but they should be back on the upswing sooner rather than later 

Agreed.  They were the best team in the NHL for 10+ years, but that came at a price, no good, first round draft picks for several years.  I like some of the young guys they drafted recently.  It looks like they'll land a few more good picks this year too.  I think the future is bright for the Wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the title of this change? All of a suddenly I'm like "Hmm different title adn now 23 pages" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't remember it being 23 pages yesterday.

---

It's crazy to look back at how different the market was in what we were discussing - with sedan volum and platforms and whatnot.

I also miss having RJ around with his input.  Though I do recall him getting more combative toward the end.

 

It's also funny that we were discussing how Lincoln would finally move away from a FWD big crossover, unlike Cadillac, and here we are with Cadillac creating just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×